HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2001, 08:15 PM
Tokyo, Japan
Joined Sep 2001
17 Posts
Kyosho Stratus 1600

Gents,

I just submitted a kit review of the new Kyosho Stratus 1600 motor glider for R/C Technique, premier RC magazine here in Japan.

If you want to get started with motor gliders or electric flight, this is a plane I can really recommend. The kit is a true ARF, with only two or three evenings necessary to complete, and this includes time needed for the 3hr epoxy to cure. Craftmanship is outstanding. Using 7 cell 600mAh AE cells, climb ut is not rocket like, but there is enough juice to bring her up to winch launch heights at least twice for a single charge. What got me really interested was the airfoil. RG14 mod. She shows very good penetration and will make a very good sloper with built in recovery system, motor and prop. An ideal slope trainer for beginners. The nose moment it prety long, so you should not find any difficulties installing a planetary gear drive and a bigger prop to get more thrust. I found the plane distributed by Tower in North America at about $140. Worth checking out.

One note of caution. Use pull-pull linkage for the rudder and not the nyrod linkage supplied with the kit. Unless you secure the nyrod between the bulkhead and the exit, you will have a very very soft centering rudder. Also, most servo leads are too short to hook up with the Rx, so you need at least one 6" servo extension lead. I opted to do some soldering and extended the lead myself.

Toshiro SaruwatariGents,

I just submitted a kit review of the new Kyosho Stratus 1600 motor glider for R/C Technique, premier RC magazine here in Japan.

If you want to get started with motor gliders or electric flight, this is a plane I can really recommend. The kit is a true ARF, with only two or three evenings necessary to complete, and this includes time needed for the 3hr epoxy to cure. Craftmanship is outstanding. Using 7 cell 600mAh AE cells, climb ut is not rocket like, but there is enough juice to bring her up to winch launch heights at least twice for a single charge. What got me really interested was the airfoil. RG14 mod. She shows very good penetration and will make a very good sloper with built in recovery system, motor and prop. An ideal slope trainer for beginners. The nose moment it prety long, so you should not find any difficulties installing a planetary gear drive and a bigger prop to get more thrust. I found the plane distributed by Tower in North America at about $140. Worth checking out.

One note of caution. Use pull-pull linkage for the rudder and not the nyrod linkage supplied with the kit. Unless you secure the nyrod between the bulkhead and the exit, you will have a very very soft centering rudder. Also, most servo leads are too short to hook up with the Rx, so you need at least one 6" servo extension lead. I opted to do some soldering and extended the lead myself.

Toshiro Saruwatari
Tokyo Japan
Tokyo Japan
Toshiro Saruwatari is offline Find More Posts by Toshiro Saruwatari
to remove ads between posts