HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 22, 2004, 04:52 AM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
5,263 Posts
Help with setup (Another Newbie)

Hi guys...another newbie to Heli needs help.

I have read the EHBG text file as well as done other research, but now I am trying to setup my tx to work with a flight sim, I am confused.

I am using a JR x378 tx that has a heli function.
I am also using Pre-Flight flight sim (free) with the cable.

I have two problems, but i'm not sure if they're related.

1) when I throttle up, the heli does not rise, only when i go to full throttle, then back to half, does she rise. What's up with that ? Do I need to adjust my throttle curve ?...if so, to what...the JR setup doesn't make a heap of sense to me unfortunately.

2) the lower the throttle, the more the heli spins. Do I need to counteract this with "rudder" OR should I be setting up my throttle/pitch curves so that It should the the tail rotor changes speed accordingly.

FYI, I am getting a GWS Dragonfly in a few days but wanted to get a lot of stick time in on a flight sim first.

Any help would be appreciated.

Maybe I should go back to fixed wing...they seem so much easier

Thanks
OzzieFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzzieFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2004, 06:42 AM
Chillaxin dude!
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
4,786 Posts
Ozzie,
You can download another version of a flight simulator called FMS. This is a fully functional freeware (open source I think) simulator. I suspect the version of Pre-Flight that you have is not a legitimate version...hence some of the functionality is probably disabled.

Is the interface unit that you have serial or USB?

I had a version of PreFlight (was free with an interface too) but only recognised a couple of functions ie no pitch and throttle/nick was screwed up. I now use EasyFly and FMS (prefer EasyFly..but I purchased the full version complete with serial interface...now using USB interface with WinXP).

Don't give up..simulator time really helps to get used to stick movements (but can't really simulate the skittishness of the micro's). But spend some time ..it helps.

Good luck

Tony
BulletMaster is offline Find More Posts by BulletMaster
Old Apr 22, 2004, 06:48 AM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
5,263 Posts
Thanks Tony. I bought the interface (microphone) which came with the software so I "assumed" it is a legit copy. But what you are saying seems to gel with what is happening to me.

I have used fms and like it (prefer it to pre-flight), but it's not much good withou the interface.

I will go back to the supplier of the cable and see if he can advise what the problem is. my understanding was the pre-flight was always free anyway.

Thanks again
Old Apr 22, 2004, 07:36 AM
Joined Apr 2004
12 Posts
I ahve a 2 week old Dragonfly...been flying ok out of the box.
Yesterday, I decided to be brave and "cut the blades".
WOW... what an improvement... I am not kidding...
Cut them with sissors as per the instructions in the "mod" forum... then filed them down with a nail filer....

Results:

- Easier to lift off
- More stable during hover
roadruner is offline Find More Posts by roadruner
Old Apr 22, 2004, 03:05 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
5,263 Posts
tks roadruner. I've heard that doing that, and stiffening the head make a HUGE difference. I'm planning on doing those two mods early on...and the others some time down the track (ie separates, bl upgrade, edf50 tail motor...etc)
Old Apr 22, 2004, 04:57 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
5,263 Posts
GOT IT FIXED.

I contacted the supplier and he told me to try use the 4ch TX fixed pitch setting as opposed to the JR tX setting. I had to reassign the default channels, but after that, it worked fine.

Now I can finally get some practice in.

I have no idea how FMS compares to Pre-Flight, but so far it does give me a good idea of what the controls do. I am finding it hard, so perhaps it is a good representation