Old Dec 31, 2001, 10:49 AM
Tight is Right
Lehi, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2001
7,668 Posts
Yippee!
GWS Drive Upgrade for Wattage B-2

Hey Everyone,

A Wattage B-2 arrived from Santa last week and, after reading a few threads about power problems with the stock configuration, I redesigned the power system out of the box. The plane flies great -- although it is decidedly NOT a beginner's model.

Here's what I did.

1 - Converted motor to the GWS geared system standard on the Tiger Moth and Lite Stik. After removing an inch from the rear of the plane, I cut a slot for a mounting stick from the radio complartment to the back end of the plane for a "pusher" configuration.

2 - Using packing tape, I reinforced the wing joints to handle the extra speed and covered the mounting areas for the stock motors to reduce unnecessary drag.

3 - I didn't like the control linkage for the outboard elevrons, so I didn't bother with them. I just used the inboard set and increased the throw.

I wanted to try the intial flights with a 6 cell, 300mah NiMH pack, but my charger flamed that pack a day before completion. I borrowed a 7-cell and tossed the plane.

After trimming, which is a task, I can toss it gently and watch it speed away. It can roll, split-S, and loop after a short dive. The B-2 slows down nicely for landing. I've had the best luck with a GWS 9X4.7 prop. Although a longer prop may work, I need more thrust angle to counter-act the torque.

This is a fun plane that always turns a few heads.
Darren Hintze is offline Find More Posts by Darren Hintze
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2001, 07:01 PM
Strange Plane Central
Poway (near San Diego), CA US
Joined Dec 2000
1,884 Posts
Consider using GWS motor direct drive with a 4 x 2 prop. It will be lighter and probably alittle faster.
frankenfoamy is offline Find More Posts by frankenfoamy
Old Dec 31, 2001, 09:35 PM
S. Calif
Joined Mar 2000
1,409 Posts
Yep. I was flying my B-2 yesterday with a GWS direct drive and ThimbleDrome 4.5x2 prop. With a 6 cell 280 mah NiMh pack, it flys for 7-8 minutes and is a great little park flyer. Seems the Wattage folks got the aerodynamics right, its just way underpowered with the standard power setup. Its one of my favorite airplanes now.
Gerry.
Gerry Markgraf is offline Find More Posts by Gerry Markgraf
Old Jan 02, 2002, 11:36 AM
Tight is Right
Lehi, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2001
7,668 Posts
I acutally tried a 9X7 prop on the gear drive and it now it is a hot rod. I'll try a direct drive at some point, but for the moment I'm just enjoying the heck outta the plane!
Darren Hintze is offline Find More Posts by Darren Hintze