SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: VOTE for your favorite "Historic Landmark" aerial photo!
#1 Snakezilla! by Wattnoise 0 0%
#2 Penshaw Monument by Ian Hall 8 8.25%
#3 The "Big Stick" by jlballou 7 7.22%
#4 Morison's Haven by MartinFVS 0 0%
#5 Tebbutt's Observatories by TugBoat 4 4.12%
#6 Sydney harbour bridge by moocowfish 22 22.68%
#7 Lots of GREEN by 2bent 2 2.06%
#8 Ipiranga Museum by Gustabmo 2 2.06%
#9 Elk Refuge by samhoff 0 0%
#10 The Mountain, With Two Balloons by BEC 2 2.06%
#11 Ticonderoga Steamboat by fdisk 19 19.59%
#12 San Augustine Pass by rloose 2 2.06%
#13 St. Paul's Cathedral by Kinnic^2 28 28.87%
#14 Church Construction by MX 1 1.03%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 21, 2004, 06:10 PM
Look! Up in the sky!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
4,636 Posts
Aerial Photo contest #17: VOTE for a WINNER!

Please vote for your favorite aerial photo and help us pick a winner!
1st - 3rd place earn a spot in the coveted "contest winners" spot in the RC Gallery.
Winner gets to pick the next contest theme.

Theme (by Gliding Peter)

"Historic Landmarks"
Try to get a really nice picture of a place, building, monument, you name it, that has earned a place in history. That may well be local history or lore, as long as the picture looks good and shows the landmark from an unusual perspective: from the air.

Please include:
Photo name
place
aircraft
camera
date taken

Rules:
Must be taken BY the entrant
Must be taken FROM an r/c aircraft
Must be taken DURING the contest period (3/21/04 -5/2/04)
Enhancements are OK
Fake photos are NOT
eBird is offline Find More Posts by eBird
Last edited by Steve Nolan (eBird); May 03, 2004 at 12:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2004, 09:28 PM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,265 Posts
Snakezilla!

More of a hysterical landmark of Tucson - originally built too low, several tractor-trailer rigs which met the minimum posted height requirement were decapitated by a slightly lower than reported bridge... I think the rattler swung around and bit 'em myself...

Picture Name: Snakezilla! - Rattlesnake Bridge
Aeroplane: SS
Camera: Concord eyeQ 2040
Tweaking: Pure Magic
Date: 04/21/2004

Watt Noise?
Kevin

wattnoise is offline Find More Posts by wattnoise
Last edited by wattnoise; Apr 29, 2004 at 10:51 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 06:46 PM
North East UK
Joined Dec 2003
466 Posts
Penshaw Monument(NE UK)

The monument is situated on Penshaw Hill, overlooking the River Wear near the Washington branch of the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust Tyne & Wear NE UK England. Its high position means it is a familiar landmark for people over a wide area of north-east Durham.
The monument itself was erected in 1844, designed by John and Benjamin Green and modelled on the Theseum at Athens. It is dedicated to John George Lambton, first Earl of Durham and the first Governor of Canada.
Penshaw Hill, on which the monument is built, is associated with the local legend and song about the Lambton Worm.

AP Platform-Slow stick,Hacker b20/18L,Hacker esc,3s1p li polys

Camera-Polaroid pdc 3030/128mb card(73 pics)

Date Taken-23/4/2004 8.00pm sunset=8.15pm that day

68 photograpghs taken over 3 li poly packs(only 3 decent pictures.....)

Crop/Contrast has been adjusted in photoshop(thats it)

Ian
ian hall is offline Find More Posts by ian hall
Old Apr 25, 2004, 02:56 AM
StereoAerial Photographer
SF Bay Area
Joined Jan 2003
909 Posts
The "BIG STICK" in the Inactive Naval Fleet

Name of photo: USS Iowa in the Mothball Fleet
Place: Suisun Bay, east of San Francisco Bay
Aircraft: LocalHawk IIL
Camera: Fuji FinePix A303 3.2Mp
Date: April 23, 2004

The USS Iowa, popularly known as the "Big Stick" is currently part of the so-called "Mothball Fleet" in Suisun Bay, CA. This ship, the first of its class (BB-61), was built during the first part of WWII, and saw action through Korea, was decommissioned in the '50s, and was recommissioned in the '80s.

On April 19, 1989, an explosion in Turret #2 killed 47 crewmen. The ship continued service, but was place in "Inactive" status some years later.

On April 20, 2002, at midnight, the ship was towed under the Golden Gate Bridge. I was there to see it arrive, along with an amazing number of people. Even with only a few searchlights to illuminate it, it was an awesome sight.

At this time, an historical society is attempting to allow the ship to be boarded by visitors, but the best that can be done now is to take a chartered boat (or your own private craft), or to check out aerial photographs.
jlballou is offline Find More Posts by jlballou
Last edited by Steve Nolan (eBird); May 03, 2004 at 01:06 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 04:38 PM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2003
31 Posts
Morison's Haven

Camera: Mustek Mini3
Aircraft: Graupner Electric Pink.
Date: 24 April 2004

The museum is on the site of an 800 year old coal mine and industrial area, the last activity stopped in the mid 70s. They are about to start a project to investigate the site and harbour and we were asked to get aerial photos before and after Morison’s Haven has been cleaned up.

The bottom centre of the picture shows the partly collapsed harbour wall which extends inland, now mostly covered when it was filled in. Within the old harbour there are a few wooden piles of the pier visible. They also reckon there is a fishing boat buried in there.

Top right is a steam crane on the main museum site. To the left, in the tress, is where the pottery was made and to the right just out of shot is a huge beam engine. The are also distilleries and brick works on the site.

Martin
MartinFVS is offline Find More Posts by MartinFVS
Last edited by Steve Nolan (eBird); May 03, 2004 at 01:06 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 07:27 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Jun 2003
1,224 Posts
Name of Photo: Tebbutt's Observatories
Place: Windsor, NSW, Australia
Aircraft: EZ400G, MPjet 25/35-20 MkII
Camera: Aiptek 1.3
Date: 22 April 2004

A descendant of free settlers who arrived in Australia in 1801, John Tebbutt was born in May 1834 and grew up on his father’s farming property in Windsor.

John Tebbutt built these observatories in 1879 and 1896, he discovered several comets and he is featured on the Australian $100 note. He also has a moon crater named in his honour.

As you can see the area is still a farming area and now mainly used to grow turf, although other crops such as lucerne are also grown. I think the house on the left may be the original family house and the farm is still in owned by the Tebbutt family according to the information I found.

Tim
TugBoat is offline Find More Posts by TugBoat
Last edited by Steve Nolan (eBird); May 03, 2004 at 01:07 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 11:17 PM
mmmmm
Sydney, Australia
Joined Feb 2004
244 Posts
sydney (sorry bout the other posts)

This is a picture i took of the Sydney harbour bridge, built more than 50 years ago and a very famous land mark round our way.

Trivia: a group of painters never finish painting the bridge they started at one end when it was opened and when they get to the other end they go back and start again!!

Picture taken at sunrise from a suburb called Balmain with a dolphin jazz camera on a Wingo.

Only sharpening and contrast added to image..

Moo
moocowfish is offline Find More Posts by moocowfish
Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:04 PM
Arlington, VA
Joined Mar 2004
308 Posts
My new entry...

Name- Lots of GREEN

Yes, this was taken over the national mall. I wanted to get a pic showing the washington monument, but the wind was blowing the wrong way, so here is looking south from near the base of the monument, towards the tidal basin and jefferson memorial. I couldn't climb very high because the wind was somewhat erratic, and I ran out of string.

Aircraft- large delta kite- didn't want to risk the slowstick in the wind out there.

Pic taken by Che-ez Snap camera, photo completeley untouched except for compressing. (looked much sharper before)
2bent is offline Find More Posts by 2bent
Last edited by 2bent; May 02, 2004 at 03:42 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 09:20 AM
Gustavo Exel
Switzerland, GE, Geneva
Joined May 2003
1,763 Posts
Ipiranga Museum

photo name: Museu do Ipiranga (Ipiranga Museum)
place: taken from the gardens of Ipiranga Museum
aircraft: GWS Slow Stick, all stock, with 2S1P 1200mAh LiPo (AUW 16.1oz)
camera: Aiptek PocketCam Slim 3000F with Michelle Schiepatti's switch
date taken: 2004-apr-29

This is the oldest museum of the city of Sao Paulo erected where Brazil's independence was proclaimed in 1822 by D.Pedro I.

The museum was inaugurated on 1895 and houses expositions showing Brazil's government and society from the XVth to the XXth century, period during which the government shifted from a colony of Portugal, turned independent on 1822, had almost a century of monarchic government and finally became a republican country in 1898.

The gardens of the museum (not shown on the picture) where based on Versaille's Palace gardens.

Flight was adrenalyn-full since I suffered a lot with radio interference, thought I'd loose the plane several times but it came back home safely. Used a Hitec Electron 6 rx and that was the last time I'll ever use this rx in an urban envoirnment... from now on I'll stick to Berg's receivers when flying in the city.

Gustavo
gustabmo is offline Find More Posts by gustabmo
Old Apr 30, 2004, 12:08 PM
Sheridan, WY, USA
Joined Jul 2003
248 Posts
Here's my entry (sorry there is not much history in Wyoming towns):
Name of photo: Elk Refuge in the middle of town
Place: Sheridan, WY
Aircraft: SS with Brushless
Camera: Aiptek minipencam 1.3 mp
Date: April 22, 2004

The bare hill near the center top of this photo is an elk and buffalo refuge. They are kept there year 'round, right in the middle of town. Some great bull elk in there, I tell you I've been tempted to bag me a trophy in the middle of winter a stone's throw from my doorstep!

Sam
samhoff is offline Find More Posts by samhoff
Last edited by Steve Nolan (eBird); May 03, 2004 at 01:07 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 02:29 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
Natural landmark....

Photo: The Mountain, With Two Ballons

Date: April 26, 2004
Place: Kent Valley of Washington State looking southeastward toward Mt. Rainier. There are also two hot-air balloons to the right of the mountain. Around here Mt. Rainier is simply referred to as "The Mountain". You can sort of see why.....

Camera: Aiptek Pencam 1.3SD with Wild Moose Switch
Platform: Moutain Models Dandy powered by AF 010 and 3s 700 Kokams

No man-made mounuments/landmarks in my recent AP sorties, but The Mountain was out the other night when I went to take some pics of an interchange that is being refurbished/widened - one I have to drive through every day going to work.

Rescaled to 640 by 480 with iPhoto then resaved with more compression to get it under 100K. No other changes.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old May 01, 2004, 04:12 PM
Vermont
Joined Mar 2002
2,706 Posts
Ticonderoga steamboat

Name: Ticonderoga steamboat
Place: Shelburne Museum - Shelburne, Vermont
Aircraft: Self made plane (Ugly8)
Camera: Benq 1300
Taken: 4/27/04

On the right is the Ticonderoga steamboat. As of 1960 it is a real National Historic Landmark. The 1871 Lighthouse on the left is a nice addition to the pic.

I held off submitting this picture because I thought I could do better when my new pencam showed up, but I'm still dialing it in and the 15-20 mph winds plus gusts of 30 mph kept me from getting more than 2 new shots of it today. I flew from the closest unoccupied public field which ended up being the Shelburne elementary school soccer field. There no line of site to the target from there so I was happy to get anything. Besides the fence around it there was also a neighborhood between me and the museum.
fdisk is offline Find More Posts by fdisk
Last edited by Steve Nolan (eBird); May 03, 2004 at 01:08 AM.
Old May 02, 2004, 03:57 PM
ORGAN MOUNTAIN AIR FORCE
Organ, New Mexico
Joined Sep 2002
1,258 Posts
San Augustine Pass

Gentlemen-

The competition is tough! My entry is a shot of San Augustine Pass (elev. 5,719ft.). It is just a couple of miles east of my house in Organ. The rock exposed in the cut is 33 million year old quartz monzonite...that's pretty prehistoric. The pass has served as the only easy route from the Rio Grande Valley to any eastern destinations from southern New Mexico. It was on a Native American Trail, the J. Slaughter Cattle Trail, the Regional Stage line, and now US Highway 70. It was the site of a Civil War battle (the Yankees lost because they were carrying whiskey in their canteens- more of a general surrender really!) This comprised about 1/2 of the Union troops in New Mexico. The Pass was also on a wagon route for hauling ore to El Paso Texas from the local mines, and now is the site of many cell phone and microwave towers. It is the gateway to White Sands Missile Range, where German Scientists developed the V2 into the Redstone rocket. Their research was the foundation of all modern rocketry in the US.

Photo Name- San Augustine Pass
Place- 2 miles east of Organ, New Mexico
Plane- NE Sailplane EZ400G with geared MM miniAC 1215/16@6:1 11x8 prop
Camera- Aiptek miniPencam SD
Date Taken- May 2, 2004

Rich
rloose is offline Find More Posts by rloose
Last edited by rloose; May 02, 2004 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Update Photo Title Block
Old May 02, 2004, 06:48 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
St. Paul's Cathedral

This large cathedral is on a hillside just west of downtown St. Paul. Construction began in 1906 with the first services nine years later. The aging copper roof was renovated a few years ago.

Also visible at the upper left is the James J. Hill house on Summit Avenue.

Karl

Photo Name: St. Paul's Cathedral
Place: St. Paul, Minnesota
Aircraft: Slowstick w/NB 1812/100 brushless power
Camera: Nikon 3700
Date taken: May 2, 2004

Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Last edited by Kinnicē; May 03, 2004 at 05:52 PM.
Old May 03, 2004, 12:10 AM
MX
Embedded Systems Engineer
Grass Valley, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,732 Posts
Dang, I thought I had until the end of May for some reason.

I guess I'll have to throw in something to make the other guys look good
again.

This is only historic in the near term. This is the construction of our church
building. They've been doing the 'church-in-a-box' thing for 12 years. It
was historic in that they managed to get the county to give them a building
permit. This whole area is one of those places where everyone wants to
move here, and then not let anyone else in. They won't let Walmart or
anything like that build here.

There's also some irony here. The location they are building on used to be
called "Hell's Half Acre". Not sure why.

Name: Church Construction
Plane: GWS SlowStick
Motor: Himax 2015-4100
Gearbox: GWS 300C-D
Prop: GWS 11x8
Battery: 3S 1500mA Lipo
Camera: Pentax Optio S4
Switch: Servo
Date: 2004-04-25

MX is offline Find More Posts by MX
Last edited by MX; May 03, 2004 at 12:17 AM.