SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio

Spruce up your Sport Cub Floats in 20 minutes

Here's an easy way to make the Floats on your Sport Cub look much better.

Splash

Matching Color Schemes

If you've purchased the float set recommended for the Sport Cub, you've seen that they come with blue graphics applied that are a great match if you are putting them on the Super Cub LP. The blue floats are not a great match however for the red color scheme on the Sport Cub. I just could not stand the mismatch so I started looking at options.

The first thing I tried was to remove the existing decals to start with a blank canvas. That attempt failed... The decals appear to be a waterslide type and were attached to the foam so well, any attempt to remove them damaged the foam underneath. There may be some special solution that will safely remove these decals, so if you know of anything, please reply below and tell us about it.

I decided to just paint white over the decals. I first used masking tape to cover the entire float except for the area where the decals were present. Be sure to use a low tack tape, if its too sticky, it can damage the foam when you peel it off. Don't forget to cover the bottom of the floats as well to prevent overspray. I used flat white Krylon Fusion for the paint. You can find this at Walmart or online at Amazon. It will take 3 or 4 coats to fully cover the graphics. The white color is not a perfect match, but good enough and is not noticeable unless you are fairly close.

The next step is to add your own graphics by either painting or applying decals. Red is a hard color to match, so instead of painting I chose to apply some decals. I ordered the spare decal set for the Sport Cub. I used the fuselage stripes and the Sport Cub logo from the rudder and applied them to the outside of the floats. This way the colors match up and it looks great. All in all it took about 20 minutes not including the paint drying time and was super simple to do. If you've done some mods to your floats, we'd love to see them so post your photos below.

Here's some float flying with the Sport Cub.

Discussion

Old Aug 21, 2014, 08:36 PM
Build to fly, fly to fix
Canada, QC, Pointe-Claire
Joined Jun 2011
466 Posts
What size prop and ESC are you using?
teckbot is offline Find More Posts by teckbot
Old Aug 21, 2014, 09:27 PM
RCG Staff Member
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2003
5,448 Posts
Xoar 10x8 prop and an Eflite 30A ESC.
Jason Cole is offline Find More Posts by Jason Cole
Administrator
Old Aug 23, 2014, 08:06 AM
United States, OH, Rosemount
Joined Jul 2011
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole View Post
Xoar 10x8 prop and an Eflite 30A ESC.
Some nice flying jason !
Is that the xoar gas prop? and did you have to drill it out to fit the stock prop adapter? If so what size bit did you have to use?
JM66 is offline Find More Posts by JM66
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: German Luftwaffe pilots
Old Aug 26, 2014, 06:43 PM
RCG Staff Member
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2003
5,448 Posts
It's an electric Xoar. I think I had to ream the back of the hole just slightly to fully seat down over the shoulder. Otherwise the hole was sized correctly for the stock shaft.
Jason Cole is offline Find More Posts by Jason Cole
Administrator