HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2004, 04:03 PM
Illinois
Joined Mar 2004
372 Posts
Which SPAD Trainer to build?? Plans?

I want to build a SPAD .60 trainer ......I here the SPAD planes are pretty darn tough. I have a sign company near me that can get me 2mm and 4mm Coroplast.

Does anyone have a link to a set of plans for a nice top winger gentle flying trainer???

I have not built a SPAD yet, but I think I can handle it. I want a trainer that can take some abuse or be easily rebuilt when I dork it in.
VBSuperMaxx is offline Find More Posts by VBSuperMaxx
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2004, 05:31 PM
USA, OK, Warr Acres
Joined Feb 2004
507 Posts
Oh Yeah!

Hi VBSuperMAXX! welcome to the wonderful world of SPAD. I definetly recommend looking at the " originals" in SPADWORLD. The DEBONAIR is a real nice trainer that's a snap to build, and if you click on the picture of it, you get about 30 pages of instructions and ilustration pics that will walk you right through it!
I started one last night and had the fuselage, tail feathers, landing gear, firewall and notor mount done in two hours, not bad and a flash compared to anything short of an ARF but with an outlay of only about $10.00. I'll put the link in a PM for you to save you even more time.
I know it's designed for a .40, but if you leave the chord and fuse length the same and open the span to 72" and make the tail pieces about 25% bigger, you should have a REAL sweetheart!
Good luck and remember, it's better to bounce a SPAD than to bounce a check trying to keep balsa in the air!
Jim
mosquitowings is offline Find More Posts by mosquitowings
Old Apr 21, 2004, 05:48 PM
USA, OK, Warr Acres
Joined Feb 2004
507 Posts
Hey VBS..... here's the link , check out the "spadet" and the "debonair". They show how to build all the planes in the posts.
[http://spadtothebone.com/spad/]
Old Apr 21, 2004, 06:24 PM
Illinois
Joined Mar 2004
372 Posts
Very Very coool,,,,I am going to become a SPAD freak. Right up my alley, extra wings and parts to replace at the field....heck...whole airframes.

They look like they can be badly landed and not sustain must damage. or at least not expensive damage.

I am not going to risk my balsa trainer ...I am going to build a debonair and beat it up. they can take it , right?
Old Apr 21, 2004, 06:26 PM
Woodsy
Drouin, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
2,117 Posts
Yep, they can take it BUT nothing is indestructable
woodsy is offline Find More Posts by woodsy
Old Apr 21, 2004, 09:28 PM
Just a Great Guy!
Humble, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
117 Posts
I disagreeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsy
Yep, they can take it BUT nothing is indestructable
I do believe my Demon is indestructible, or as close as one can get. I'm on revision 4 now and she takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Thank God for plastic bolts. Knocked the LG off today, 3 new plastic bolts and voila! good as new. She lives to terrorize the skies once again. I love my SPADS!
JimRoss is offline Find More Posts by JimRoss
Old Apr 22, 2004, 08:11 AM
Illinois
Joined Mar 2004
372 Posts
Very cool,

I will be building up a spad ........I need a plane that bounces.
Old Apr 22, 2004, 08:15 AM
Just a Great Guy!
Humble, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
117 Posts
Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBSuperMaxx
Very cool,

I will be building up a spad ........I need a plane that bounces.
Build yourself a Deb. Look good, fly good, last a long time, really tough, very inexpensive. A gentleman came to our field yesterday with a school group of about 30 kids who we have out each year. He saw the spads we built and was really excited about building some for his three sons. Didn't know anything like that existed. Looks like we have another convert.
JimRoss is offline Find More Posts by JimRoss
Old Apr 25, 2004, 10:31 PM
Hesparia,CA
Joined Apr 2004
414 Posts
i get lessons next sunday to fly my srr. now i just got to finish the buket landing gear and make a tail wheel from a table roller
tsunami is offline Find More Posts by tsunami
Old Apr 25, 2004, 10:57 PM
USA, OK, Warr Acres
Joined Feb 2004
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami
i get lessons next sunday to fly my srr. now i just got to finish the buket landing gear and make a tail wheel from a table roller
Hey Tsunami, how are you going to mount the landing gear? I've heard about using the bucket handle, but can't figure it out

Jim
Old Apr 25, 2004, 11:01 PM
Hesparia,CA
Joined Apr 2004
414 Posts
well thgey never did show a finished pic so im just going to bolt it to either the top or bottem of my fuse depending on clearence,i need to cut it still and then i got to figure out how im going to taxi, its a caster type wheel i got you think itll turn on its own from the force of the tail or should i try to make it run from the servo(my only prob with that is im a bit short for torque on my servos)
tsunami is offline Find More Posts by tsunami
Old Apr 26, 2004, 06:28 AM
USA, OK, Warr Acres
Joined Feb 2004
507 Posts
The tail wheel assy. I have been using works by hooking up to the rudder via a small coil spring that goes into the rudder on one end and through the tail wheel "spindle" at the other. It looks like a ball point pen spring with straight wire sticking off both ends which are bent to fit the attachment points. What I like about it is that while you get steering control, it does give the servo a little break from the loads of direct contact with the ground. The down side is that steering is a little "mushy". I figure it's still better than no control at all.
If there is some room at the top of your caster spindle, you might try this, it only takes a little bitty hole to stick the spring wire thru.
Jim
Old May 05, 2004, 09:19 PM
Davenport, IA
Joined Apr 2004
40 Posts
I'm building two debs, now. One for me and another with my 12 yaer old grandson. It's been fun building it. I can't wait to fly!! I bought a NexStar 46 Balsa plane and don't want to risk it yet. But, I don't think I'm afraid to take the spad out!!
dirko is offline Find More Posts by dirko