SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 21, 2004, 12:28 PM
Joined Apr 2004
5 Posts
Nitro Hammer engine swap

Hey guys. Thanks for the help so far. I am looking for a a good replacement engine for my nitro hammer. What would be there best one for it? Preferable larger if the boat will take it. Also what are some good upgrades in props and rudders? Thanks.
MattBar313 is offline Find More Posts by MattBar313
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2004, 04:30 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,912 Posts
Just about any .12-.18 motor ought to bolt right in. It must have a rotary carb and a regular threaded crank though. Air-cooled wouldn't work too well in it as the motor sits pretty low in that hull. Consider the other things too like if you want to use a pull start or go to a belt starting setup.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Apr 26, 2004, 05:46 PM
Florida and Massachusetts
Joined Apr 2004
3 Posts
Why would you want to jump up to a larger engine? I have mine tuned to the point where it wobbles a bit when wide open. A
ny faster and this thing will be airborne. I only use mine on salt water which may give me an advantage, but I doubt it. I have filed everything that goes in the water to almost a razor edge, raised the trim tabs, waxed the hull and drilled a 1" hole over the carb - that seems to do it.
pompanomal is offline Find More Posts by pompanomal
Old Apr 26, 2004, 05:52 PM
Rochester
Joined Jan 2004
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pompanomal
Why would you want to jump up to a larger engine? I have mine tuned to the point where it wobbles a bit when wide open. A
ny faster and this thing will be airborne. I only use mine on salt water which may give me an advantage, but I doubt it. I have filed everything that goes in the water to almost a razor edge, raised the trim tabs, waxed the hull and drilled a 1" hole over the carb - that seems to do it.
How much did all the work you did help the boat?.
helodog is offline Find More Posts by helodog
Old Apr 27, 2004, 09:04 AM
Florida and Massachusetts
Joined Apr 2004
3 Posts
The filing made a big difference,especially the turning stabilizers on both sides. The 1" hole over the carb made a noticable difference also. It went fast before the changes but now it literally screams. Salt water has more bouyancy and that may contribute to the speed also, I am not certain on that one.

Running in salt water has it's dangers, primarily corrosion and care must be taken afterwards to clean it well. I use a bottle of water to back flush the cooling system then I run some WD-40 through it also. I changed as many screws as possible to stainless, wash it down after each use and then coat everthing with WD-40. I pull the driveshaft out after every couple of uses, clean and grease it. The only thing I am apprehensive about is the pull starter. I have flipped the boat a couple of times and I am sure salt water got into that area. The minute I have any problem I will pull that off, clean it up and spray it with WD-40 also.
pompanomal is offline Find More Posts by pompanomal
Old May 18, 2004, 11:36 PM
SW Missouri
Joined Mar 2004
2 Posts
Mph w/ mods....?

With the mods on the previous threads what kinda speed are we looking at...? I just bought a Hammer and would like to know what I could expect on the water with these mods...?

Thanks...
Flying Again is offline Find More Posts by Flying Again
Old Aug 13, 2004, 09:54 PM
Kokomo, IN
Joined Aug 2004
7 Posts
I would advise against any upgrade as far as the engine goes. The 15 is plenty big enough, mine is just about out of control! Any bigger and you'll have to upgrade to a larger drive shaft to accommodate the bigger prop.
911Dispatch is offline Find More Posts by 911Dispatch
Old Aug 14, 2004, 03:06 PM
Rochester
Joined Jan 2004
358 Posts
Modding these engines is half the fun .I love tuning engines and some of them are set up rather mild.My traxxas 15 was a pussy cat but I put in race bearings and a port job and now it is out of control.
Old Aug 15, 2004, 02:07 AM
Kokomo, IN
Joined Aug 2004
7 Posts
What's the diff. between race bearings and stock bearings?
911Dispatch is offline Find More Posts by 911Dispatch
Old Aug 16, 2004, 04:56 PM
Rochester
Joined Jan 2004
358 Posts
The race bearings are for the added power and rpms the engine puts out due to the port job.The stock ones do not hold up as good.