SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 21, 2004, 12:11 PM
Joined Feb 2004
214 Posts
Johnson, Like 90 & 2 cell 3 Inch hover

Need some help here. Im flying a FEDA DragonFLy these r some of e parts i hv on my heli,

Like 90 blades
Johnson motor
Stock speed controller
10T Pinion
2cell Kokam 1500
stock tail (await mttb dual tail setup)

I cant see to fly any higher than 3 inches off the ground. Im at full trottle n it juz hangs at that level. Wad could be e problem? could someone suggest on this. Would changing a pinion help? bigger or smaller pinion, how many T? Would hving 3 cell be better, e only thing i worry is dat my speeed controller can't take e voltage. Anyone here using 3 cell on ure stock DF speed controller? Can u guys tell me wad i could do. Anyone knows of where to get kokam 1500 cell? thanx

Jem
blueprints is offline Find More Posts by blueprints
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2004, 02:17 PM
Joined Feb 2004
97 Posts
well it sounds like a problem i had with my piccolo pro... Check the gear on the motor to ensure that its not slipping... if it is then use a little crazy glue.
sunnyc90 is offline Find More Posts by sunnyc90
Old Apr 21, 2004, 02:59 PM
I see the future.
Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
2,134 Posts
Hello blueprints.
This is exactly the same setup I run on my bird except for the tail and I have no problems at all.
First things to check are the main gear mesh. Make sure there is some play in there or you are losing power and drawing too much current.
Second, check that your battery is fully charged. I get over 15 minutes with that setup of lively flying.
Also, what connectors are you using? Go with the deans ultra for best performance. Deans micro are good too.
Your electronics should be OK on 3 cells, but you should be able to run on 2 cells no problem. Perhaps try a different motor. I have heard of some of the johnsons not working well from the start. They are super cheap remember.
co
Yukonho is offline Find More Posts by Yukonho
Old Apr 21, 2004, 03:44 PM
Rumson, NJ
Joined Dec 2003
149 Posts
try a higher voltage battery. i prefer 3c, lots more power.
bluesilver30 is offline Find More Posts by bluesilver30
Old Apr 21, 2004, 04:13 PM
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Jan 2004
454 Posts
I used to be a big 3s advocate, but given the extra heat and wear on the batteries, I'm happier with 2s packs now.

All johnsons aren't created equal (or so I've heard). Could be you're just $0.50 away from a fix!
pbmax is offline Find More Posts by pbmax
Old Apr 21, 2004, 04:31 PM
morgantown, wv
Joined Mar 2004
2,439 Posts
I have had a problem with one of my Johnson motors as well. But for .50 cents who cares, unless it is your last one.
buster7467 is offline Find More Posts by buster7467
Old Apr 21, 2004, 07:21 PM
Palm Beach, FL
Joined Jan 2004
903 Posts
I'd check to see if pinion is slipping as sunny suggested. If it's not then a 3 cell would get you airborne for sure with plenty of power, less amp draw and a tad heavier. The hummingboard should take 3 cells fine.

www.b-p-p.com sells the Kokam 1500 cells seperate I believe.
ChrisT88 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisT88
Old Apr 21, 2004, 08:00 PM
Joined Apr 2001
428 Posts
[QUOTE=ChrisT88]I'd check to see if pinion is slipping as sunny suggested. If it's not then a 3 cell would get you airborne for sure with plenty of power, less amp draw and a tad heavier. The hummingboard should take 3 cells fine.

Just curious - How do you figure it will have less current draw with added cell?

Thanks,
Mark
mpj220 is offline Find More Posts by mpj220
Old Apr 21, 2004, 08:05 PM
Palm Beach, FL
Joined Jan 2004
903 Posts
More voltage = less amp draw.
ChrisT88 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisT88
Old Apr 21, 2004, 08:28 PM
United States, IN, Martinsville
Joined Feb 2004
132 Posts
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>If it's not then a 3 cell would get you airborne for sure with plenty of power, less amp draw and a tad heavier.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Uhhhhhhhh...........the last time I checked Ohms Law applied to helicopters the same as the rest of the world.....

I think what you ment to infer is that the watts would increase because the voltage increased and the current remained the same.

Remember current in a series circuit is constant.....voltage changes.....

Rick
Gyronut is offline Find More Posts by Gyronut
Old Apr 21, 2004, 08:29 PM
Joined Apr 2001
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisT88
Ohm's Law would not aggree with that.

Resistance of the motor is constant. If voltage increases, current will increase as well. (This does not incluse the added weight of an additional cell.)

Mark
mpj220 is offline Find More Posts by mpj220
Old Apr 21, 2004, 11:08 PM
Joined Feb 2004
214 Posts
SO u guys suggesting going 3 cell. im hving a FEDA DragonFly so im not sure if 3 cell would burn the board. also adding another cell would be more work cos i made my own charger n solder e cells together... but i guess im still more concerned wit bruning my bard. would anyone hv any suggestions? think i really hv to go 3 cell. How bout going with higher pinion. Would that help? hows e relation of power n stuff wit higher n lower pinion? thanx for all ure help really appreciate it.

Jem
blueprints is offline Find More Posts by blueprints
Old Apr 21, 2004, 11:28 PM
Joined Mar 2004
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisT88
That equation is wrong for non-pulsing DC voltage through non-induction resistor load (Ohm's Law). However, the helicopter controller produces pulsing DC voltage and the motors are inductors, thus Ohm's Law doesn't apply correctly anymore (not without considering the frequency). The whole circuit behaves somewhat like a Pulse Width Modulator (PWM) DC-DC converter (not that efficient though). Thus if the motors are to consume the same power level then more voltage to the controller does mean less input current to the controller in order to maintain the constant power consumption (the current and voltage at the motors are still the same - same power). Of course if you keep the throtle level the same then the circuit would draw more current at higher voltage, but then the motor would have more power (more voltage, current), i.e. more lift. I agree with Christ88, but that equation cannot go without description.

Now with all that saying, I don't know the specification of the controller, thus don't know if it could handle 11.1+V (3 cells). So I don't recommend it. However, people are having success, so go at your own risk.
jnatran is offline Find More Posts by jnatran
Last edited by jnatran; Apr 21, 2004 at 11:40 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2004, 11:39 PM
Joined Mar 2004
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpj220
Ohm's Law would not aggree with that.

Resistance of the motor is constant. If voltage increases, current will increase as well. (This does not incluse the added weight of an additional cell.)

Mark
The motor resistance is constant for non-pulsing DC voltage, but the controller produce pulses. The controller actually produces short pulses at low throtle level, longer pulses at higher throtle, and straight DC at full throtle. The motor is actually an inductor. The resistance of an inductor is depending on the frequency of the input voltage (the rate and width of the input pulses).
jnatran is offline Find More Posts by jnatran
Old Apr 21, 2004, 11:39 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
5,263 Posts
i may be wrong, but I think ChrisT88 was speaking more in a practical sense

ie The higher the voltage of your packs (11.1 vs 7.4), then the less amps you need to draw to get the same power Watts.

I have no idea about ohms law and electronics, but this is how I understand the differences b/w 2 and 3 cell packs.

Is this correct ?
OzzieFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzzieFlyer