Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 19, 2004, 08:02 PM
Lakeville Minnesota USA
Joined Jul 2002
1,588 Posts
The best camera mounting system with movie

The best camera mounting system I have came up with so far.

I designed this camera mount and have been testing it for the last 2 mo. It has worked flawlessly and comes in real handy. I am using a 6 ch reciver and a Futaba 9c transmitter. I am using ch 5 to trigger the shutter. I assigned
Switch F witch is the trainer spring loaded switch that in normally used with a buddy box to operate the shutter servo.
I assigned ch 6 to VR(A) knob to move the servo that swings the camera. The camera has 185 degrees of movement. If you look at pic #4 you will see a large knob that I made that controls the position of the camera. If you look at the knob you will see a pin sticking up and that is my reference so I always know where the camera is pointing without looking down at the transmitter. When the pin is straight down the camera is pointed straight down. If I role the knob to my right the camera will be shooting out the right side of the plane. Move the knob left and it will be shooting out the left side. I just put my thumb on the pin to move the knob. With this system I can adjust the camera an any angle and when you turn the plane around all you have to do is swing the camera to the other side of the plane and you are taking pictures agene.
I have used both the Pentax Optio & Nikon 3700 in this mount.

Here is a short movie of it working 2.5 meg

Please go to the site and then right click the movie and save as to your computer and then view the movie.

http://www.barstoolap.com/movies/m-02/

BAR-STOOL
BAR-STOOL is offline Find More Posts by BAR-STOOL
Last edited by BAR-STOOL; Apr 19, 2004 at 08:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2004, 08:47 PM
Where's the Kaboom?
Ashburn, VA
Joined Mar 2004
568 Posts
Hands down, that is the coolest thing I have seen in AP. Awesome work!!
NeoLogic is offline Find More Posts by NeoLogic
Old Apr 20, 2004, 09:45 AM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
Neat. So the servo is directly-mounted to the camera carrier (ie, no linkage/sprockets). Good idea.

Harley Michaelis developed an internal control surface linkage system, the RDS (Rotary Driver System). The RDS has a splined collar that fits over the servo output shaft that would be perfect to connect the servo and camera carrier. More at http://www.proptwisters.org/rds2/ .

FWIW, if you don't wan to use a servo arm.

--Bill
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Old Apr 20, 2004, 10:01 AM
Lakeville Minnesota USA
Joined Jul 2002
1,588 Posts
Bill
When you buy that model Hitec servo it comes with that big red servo arm.
There is no slop or play in my design so the camera is real rigid and stay where you put it.

BAR-STOOL
BAR-STOOL is offline Find More Posts by BAR-STOOL