SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 19, 2004, 03:36 PM
Fun Manager
Villa Grove, Illinois
Joined May 2000
1,695 Posts
Hobbico NexStar Ultimate Training System aircraft review now in RCPower!

www.rcgroups.com/4120

This exciting new package includes everything -- radio, engine, AUTO FLIGHT CORRCTION SYSTEM, and mini-version of RealFlight training simulator!

ENJOY!!
Sincerely,
AnnMarie Cross
President
Crosswinds Equine Rescue, Inc
http://www.crosswindseqresq.org/
AMCross is offline Find More Posts by AMCross
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2004, 06:05 PM
Ciudad Del Carmen, Mexico
Joined May 2004
30 Posts
Hi, this is my first post ever here, I bought a Nexstar 3 weeks ago and just last week I flew it for the first time (with an instructor, of course) the plane is great, the motor is so sweet, but the AFS was useless to me (I didn't even hooked it up) because I fly my plane at the beach and over water so it has to be disconected, anyway with just 3 -5 hours on the simulator I landed my plane on my second try (wasn't perfect but it wasn't bad considering the windy conditions), in all its a beatyful plane for starters.

Good Times....
Novato is offline Find More Posts by Novato
Old Jun 06, 2004, 06:18 AM
Near Alexandria, Egypt
Joined Sep 2003
9 Posts
I got one of these for a good friend of mine that wanted to learn to fly (he paid for it anyway). I found a lot of things wrong with it that a newby would have problems identifying. First, the throttle link was not adjusted properly and would not go into full throttle. Second, the rudder servo was not centered and would go a lot more one way than the other. Third, the needle insert that only allows a small amount of turn was setup to lean...I had to remove it to break-in the motor and adjusted properly after break-in. Fourth, the landing gear has no bolts to hold it in...it snaps in and comes off very easily.

My buddy was very excited after getting it rtf and was willing to take it up for its maiden flight. Good thing I convinced him I should take it up and trim it for him because the autopilot gain was set too high. The plane gained altitude very fast due to the perforated flaps, but when it was time to turn...it would not respond. The only choice was to cut the throttle and use rudder to bank it...

Brought it back down and took off the flaps and turn the gain all the way down. Next fligth was flawless even though the autopilot added some resitance to the alierons. My buddy took it up next and was flying it like an expert. His first landing was a little bouncy, but very well done for his first landing.

I don't recommend this plane for someone that has decent motor skills since the autopilot feature is a waste of money. Now, if you are completely clueless, the autopilot could be a money saver. The plane itself is big and looks nice.

...my 2 cents...
Brewha is offline Find More Posts by Brewha
Old Jun 06, 2004, 06:34 PM
Ciudad Del Carmen, Mexico
Joined May 2004
30 Posts
Nexstar

Brewa, you're right on some points, you really have to check everything real good before you fly the nexstar, having an instructor or and experienced pilot helps out a lot.

once your instructor trimmed the plane, you're set to fly.

I fly at sea level and its great
Novato is offline Find More Posts by Novato
Old Jul 16, 2004, 08:47 AM
Joined Jul 2004
1 Posts
Improving Performance of Nexstar?

Good day. I am new to R/C aircraft this year & have roughly four flights on the Nexstar. I completely agree with the comments regarding the Flight Stablization Assist as I found it annoying in the air & on the simulator. Can anyone tell me how the plane performs when the under wing speed flaps & outer wing droops are removed? Thank you all.
Swoop de Ville is offline Find More Posts by Swoop de Ville
Old Jul 16, 2004, 11:27 AM
AMA Instructor
Portland, OR
Joined Jun 2004
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoop de Ville
Good day. I am new to R/C aircraft this year & have roughly four flights on the Nexstar. I completely agree with the comments regarding the Flight Stablization Assist as I found it annoying in the air & on the simulator. Can anyone tell me how the plane performs when the under wing speed flaps & outer wing droops are removed? Thank you all.
I am about to solo - I have about 10 flights under a buddy box with an AMA instructor (who has been awesome). I have never plugged in the AFS system as per the advice of folks on this board and other new flyers. I also never flew the plane with the speed brakes installed (also under the advice of just about everyone here). I have left the slat extensions on during instruction and am planning on taking them off as soon as I master landings (I tend to porpose in just about every time).

My instructor feels that the stock way the landing gear is configured is an issue. Yesterday, he adjusted the nose gear to it's shorted setting - this makes the plane a little "nose down" when just sitting on the runway and does increase the takeoff distance - but it really helped on landing by making it easier for me to touch down main gear first and thus not bounce as bad.
Don Presten is offline Find More Posts by Don Presten
Old Jul 17, 2004, 07:30 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,311 Posts
Swoop de Ville, Welcome to RC Groups!
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG