HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

RCGroups Review: Titan Power Supply

A bench-top beast of a power supply from RC Accessory, Inc.

Splash

1200 watts. 60 amps. 12v to 24v adjustable.

Product:Titan Power Supply
Retail Price:$229.95
Output voltage:12-24v
Operating voltage:110-220v
Output watts:1200w
Output amps:60a
Available from:rcaccessory.com

From the old school 15A Radio Shack black box to hacked 12v computer PSU's, I've had my fair share of converters for the sole purpose of charging LiPo batteries quickly and safely. A number of years back, I only charged 3s packs in the 2200 to 3400mAh range. Fast forward to 2014, and I'm charging a bit of everything up to pairs of 6s 10,000mAh packs for multirotors. On 12v, my Hyperion 0610i Duo2 and Graupner Polaron EX weren't getting a chance to stretch their legs; I needed a reliable power supply that could provide 24v at higher amp loads.

The Titan is a 12-24v power supply from rcaccessory.com that's priced competitively, build very solid, and has the backing and support of a US-based company. The first thing I noticed after removing the Titan from the box is it's size; its over 11" long (285mm) and weighs 7.5lbs (3.4kg). The case is all metal with a large stamped X on top.

The interface on the Titan is quite simple; the blue-backlit LCD screen shows current amps, watts, volts, and temperature in Celsius. Above the LCD is a power meter that registers output power as a percentage. This serves as a gauge of overall power output, while the LCD shows actual numbers.

The Titan has only one adjustment point, and that's the output voltage knob; turn it clockwise to increase voltage up to around 24.4v, and counterclockwise down to 12v. On the left side are a pair of positive and negative banana / bullet connectors and one EC5 connector. These are your outputs for connecting up to three chargers (or whatever needs 12-24v). The Titan is safe up to 60 amps of output current. Each pair of banana connectors is good up to 40 amps while the EC5 is good up to 60 amps. All three output connections are on a power bus and can be used at once, but care must be taken not to exceed the max current output.

The Titan accepts input voltages of 110-220v. Between the on/off switch and the power cord plug is a 20a 250v fuse designed to protect your gear in the event of a surge.

There are 3 fans on the Titan; one on the right and two on the left. The single right-side fan draws cool air in while the pair of fans on the left expel hot air from inside the case. Working as a team, these three fans move quite a bit of air across the cooling fins and are noticeable when running. They aren't loud by any means, but they do let you know they're working hard!

The Titan in action

I started with a single 6s 10,000mAh LiPo on the Graupner Polaron EX charger and pegged it out at it's rated 400 watts per channel. That worked out to roughly 16 amps of charge current at the Polaron EX and 18 amps being pulled from the Titan. With the fans spinning it held at 34 degreed Celsius (93 degrees Fahrenheit).

I then hooked up the Hyperion DuoII and maxed it out at it's advertised 180 watts per channel with another 6s 10,000mAh pack. The Hyperion could only push 7.5 amps through it at 24v while the Polaron EX held at about 16.5 amps. The total current from the Titan was 26 amps at 640 watts. Temperatures hung around 36 degrees Celsius inside the case.

Finally, I hooked up both 6s 10,000mAh packs through the Polaron EX and set the charge rate at 2C (20 amps per channel). This was higher amperage than the charger was capable of and it peaked at around 16.5 amps per channel. With fans humming, the Titan registered 900 watts easily at 37 amps current. After about 10 minutes of charging at this rate, the internal temperature hung at 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit).

Conclusion

The Titan is a great addition to my work bench. The cost is very reasonable in my opinion, and even though one could invest less in a 24v computer rail, I'm happy buying a Titan due to the information displayed on the LCD, the ability to adjust anywhere between 12 and 24v, the clean and professional look of the case, and the product service provided from rcaccessory.com. Now, the only factor limiting me from charging the big 6s 10,000mAh packs at a true 2C rating are the chargers themselves. If you've been holding out on a 24v PSU, I highly recommend taking a look at the Titan.

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Aug 14, 2014 at 11:40 AM..

Discussion

There are no posts