HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2004, 02:53 PM
Oregon, USA
Joined Feb 2004
62 Posts
Landing Gear - What Skids Fit What Heli's?

I have an Aerohawk and have gotten to the point where I'm not busting skids or landing gear struts. Have been using ball point pen "tubes" as skids while learning to hover (worked great).

I now am in the market for OEM skids. Will skids from other birds like the Dragonfly or Piccolo work? The strut diameter is 2MM, so obviously the holes in the skids would have to be.

Thanks!
frakkar1 is offline Find More Posts by frakkar1
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2004, 07:05 PM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
frakar1,
Even if you are not breaking the OEM ones, you might want to consider MIA skids, They are more durable than OEM ones and will fit in many different and creative and scale applications. Hoverup had some pretty spiffy photos of some of his scale models with MIA skids, check out his posts.
Mario is offline Find More Posts by Mario
Last edited by Mario; Apr 18, 2004 at 07:12 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2004, 07:46 PM
Burbank, CA
Joined Mar 2004
135 Posts
I'm using MIA's tuff struts and skids as well as the MIA tail guard. They haven't broke in the three months I've had them.

Cheers,
Kevin
kevinO is offline Find More Posts by kevinO
Old Apr 18, 2004, 11:38 PM
Oregon, USA
Joined Feb 2004
62 Posts
Exellent info, thank you!....Will do.

Mark
Old Apr 19, 2004, 01:26 AM
Joined Oct 2003
27 Posts
frakkar1, I would recommend just making your own out of piano wire and aluminium tubing. You can shape them very easily and it's very tough, absorbs the shock from hard landings like you wouldn't believe. My friends are amazed how much abuse this landing gear can take and not break. The only thing that you might on occasion need to replace are the actual aluminium skids. (but it only costs you about $2 for 4 pairs).

Here's a pic of my heli.

Thanks,
Adam
[FONT=Arial]
eberus is offline Find More Posts by eberus
Old Apr 19, 2004, 01:32 AM
Oregon, USA
Joined Feb 2004
62 Posts
Hi Adam,

Where are you buying the piano wire and what am I seeing you attach the wire to the tubes? Are you heating the aluminum with a torch (lpg) to bend them?

Looks good.

Mark
Old Apr 19, 2004, 11:18 AM
Joined Oct 2003
27 Posts
You can get everything at you're local Hobby shop. I used 2 mm and 1.6 mm piano wire, some ball links (I think they were 4-40), aluminum tubing, heat shrink tubing, gas line tubing, some rubber bands and some E-Z bond adhesive.

I used ball links (with the copper ball poped out) to hold the tubes. To bend it I used a small screw driver.

If you want I can post detailed instructions on how I put it all together later on tonight.

Thanks,
Adam
eberus is offline Find More Posts by eberus