HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2004, 08:14 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,456 Posts
Not a "Hellen" Anymore

It's been a busy couple of weeks, but I've managed to make a bit of headway on the "reworked Hellen" anyway. The plan, since there are four stock Hellens running in our club, is to rework this one into a stearn Trawler, with the pilot house up front.
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Last edited by P. Tritle; Apr 18, 2004 at 03:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2004, 08:19 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,456 Posts
Reworking the deck

The model, from the deck down, is built stock, using the power system described in the previouse thread, so I won't spend any time "below decks" on this one.
The first change, was to glue the existing pilot house opening closed, and relocate it to the foredeck. The storeage tank opening remained in it's original location, and a new hatchway was cut at the stearn for equipment access.
Old Apr 18, 2004, 08:24 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,456 Posts
The Pilot House is up front now.

The Pilot House is built stock, but the trim changed a bit, just to be different. The main mast will be located just behind the pilot house, and will be set up much like the St. Elme. On the aft deck, I'll build up the "A" Frame for the stearn rig and re-locate the winch accordingly.
Old Apr 18, 2004, 08:30 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,456 Posts
Access to the inside

With the new set-up, there will be four access hatches into the hull. The pilot house will lift off, and the cargo well hatch behind the pilot house will lift off for battery access.
Old Apr 18, 2004, 08:37 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,456 Posts
Rear access hatches

At the stearn, the new hatch will give access to the Rx and rudder servo. All the way back, the removeable rear deck will offer access to the rudder linkage.
Before the hatch combings or the sideboards went in, the deck planks were lined out and nail heads added using a drafting pencil. Then the deck was weathered using gray chaulk rubbed into the planks with a rag. Stay tuned as the project progresses.
PAT
Old Apr 18, 2004, 03:28 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,456 Posts
Stearn Rig Set-up

I got started setting up the Stearn today. I'm using the plans from the Mare Nostrum as a guide line, and so far is going well.
PAT
Old Apr 18, 2004, 09:36 PM
Joined Apr 2004
19 Posts
nice work!
terubus2 is offline Find More Posts by terubus2
Old Apr 18, 2004, 10:06 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,456 Posts
Terubus2, Thanks, I made a little more progress this afternoon, but it's slow going working out the details "on the fly", but that's where the fun is. Will drop some more photos when there's significant progress.
PAT
Old Apr 21, 2004, 05:42 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,456 Posts
The paint work is done

I was in the paint shop working on another project, so I figured I'd get the color shot on the Hellen, Now that that's done, I can go ahead with the deck works.
Old Apr 21, 2004, 05:44 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,456 Posts
From the Rear

Most of the major components are together now, so will go to work on the details real soon.
PAT
Old Apr 25, 2004, 09:35 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,456 Posts
Ready to Run

It looks like the weather is going to cooperate, and the model is ready to run, so the maiden will be today. The model isn't actually finished yet as there are a few more details to be added, but for the most part, it's there. With a little luck, I'l be posting some good running shots this afternoon.
PAT
Old Apr 25, 2004, 01:01 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,805 Posts
I love seeing your work, Pat! This boat is very nice.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Apr 25, 2004, 02:54 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,456 Posts
The Maiden went well

The maiden voyage on the A.J. Makayla went well this morning. It took a bit of fiddling to get the ballast and ballance set up, but once there was sufficient weight, and in all the right places, the new boat ran great.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 03:00 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,456 Posts
Speed Control troubles

The only problem encountered was that the "ProBoat" speed control ran the boat faster at one click of power than it should have. It acted more like an "on / off" switch then an ESC in that at one click of power the model was at a good scale "full speed". So, I'll replace it with the new Hitek EZX-R and have another go at it.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 03:06 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,456 Posts
A Few Details

Here are a few close ups of the new deck works. There's still more to do, but now that I know the boat runs well, I'll go ahead and spend the time.