HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2004, 10:18 AM
Super Senior Member
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Feb 2000
3,396 Posts
Need some input on how to mod this design

I found an old magazine that has a plan for the DH Rapide. It was originally a 36 inch control line model for two .049 motors. The model's wings are 1/4 sheet wings similar to Nigel Hawes Tucano and Hawk wings. Thought I would post some pics to see if anyone had any ideas on modifications before I start. I am thinking of two 280 motors direct.
Slope Nut is offline Find More Posts by Slope Nut
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2004, 03:56 AM
Joined Feb 2004
320 Posts
conversion

Thought I would post some pics to see if anyone had any ideas on modifications before I start. I am thinking of two 280 motors direct.[/QUOTE]

Hi, your fist thing to decide is how you are going to steer it. With zero diehedral, you need 'ailerons' which need to have a servo fitted somewhere.
Best thing is to overestimate the wing area and make it that bit larger seeing as it will have to fly fast get the lift (all of Nige's planes go like hell) to stay airbourne. As long as you can install very lightweight radio gear, you will have a chance (3 lip's for flight batteries). cheers Robin Andrew, Birmingham, England.
robin andrew is offline Find More Posts by robin andrew
Old Apr 18, 2004, 04:14 AM
Dizzying Heights
New Zealand, Southland, Invercargill
Joined Feb 2003
1,063 Posts
I would recommend that you put some kind of airfoil into the design, it is a scale model an you dont really want it to go like a bat out of hell do you?
SargeNZ is offline Find More Posts by SargeNZ
Old Apr 18, 2004, 07:21 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
IMHO, you might be better off starting with a FF plan uless you really want a very fast airplane. There was a wonderful FF Dragon Rapide plan a few years back in one of the magazines. Much better suited to R/C conversion, from my experiences with such things.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog