HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2004, 12:26 AM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
Are You An Rc Bike Expert?

I need the help of anyone that is really into RC motorcycles.

I have a couple old Royal 1/5 scale electric bikes and have had lots of fun with them but have not been active with them for a while now. My son is getting into them and we both like the 1/5 scale size but would like to get something a lot better.

I need your suggestions please.

Best Electric to buy?
What are the best options and mods?

Weight Shift or Direct Steering?
Belt or Sproket chain?

Anything that you can add that might entice a better purchase.
Vendors?

Thanks a lot.

Mario
Mario is offline Find More Posts by Mario
Last edited by Mario; Apr 17, 2004 at 12:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2004, 04:13 AM
I'll be back..bwap bwaap
Seattle
Joined Oct 2003
450 Posts
Lets see here,

I'm no expert but I can tell you what is available:
Thunder Tiger FM-1e Electric
Nuova Faor Electric
Nuova Foar Gas
Bergonzoni electric
Bergonzoni gas
Pumilio Tiempo gas
Gregori RG1 gas
(All 1/5 scale)

Those are the newest out there and all are pretty much readily available for a few different vendors:
www.crazynutracing.com
www.rc-moto.com
http://www.internet-rc.com/index.html
http://www.pumilio.fi/eb_main.html
http://www.vegashobbies.com

Welcome and take a look at as many post on this board as you can. Lots of knowledgable and friendly people here to help with just about anything.
Visit www.rcbike.com if you haven't already. Kevin knows everybody.
Drillah is offline Find More Posts by Drillah
Old Apr 17, 2004, 06:50 AM
Italia
Joined Oct 2003
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillah
I'm no expert but I can tell you what is available:
Thunder Tiger FM-1e Electric
Nuova Faor Electric
Nuova Foar Gas
Bergonzoni electric
Bergonzoni gas
Pumilio Tiempo gas
Gregori RG1 gas
(All 1/5 scale)

Those are the newest out there and all are pretty much readily available for a few different vendors:
www.crazynutracing.com
www.rc-moto.com
http://www.internet-rc.com/index.html
http://www.pumilio.fi/eb_main.html
http://www.vegashobbies.com

Welcome and take a look at as many post on this board as you can. Lots of knowledgable and friendly people here to help with just about anything.
Visit www.rcbike.com if you haven't already. Kevin knows everybody.
Hi Drillah.

you have forgotten. T.R.D: moto

www.mcs80.too.it
T.R.D. moto is offline Find More Posts by T.R.D. moto
Old Apr 17, 2004, 08:00 AM
STeve B in NC
North Carolina, USA
Joined Sep 2003
7,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.R.D. moto
Hi Drillah.

www.mcs80.too.it
I saw your screen name and wondered if you were Rolando Tradii. If so, then you are the R/C bike expert here

Welcome.

STeve B in NC
mollycbr123 is offline Find More Posts by mollycbr123
Old Apr 17, 2004, 08:41 AM
STeve B in NC
North Carolina, USA
Joined Sep 2003
7,756 Posts
For the money, I always suggest the TT FM-1e as a first bike. It's cheap, performs well, and all the spare parts you need can be had at e-hobbies. I still have my old Royal RC-40 and an old Bachmann, and the newer 1/5 bikes are quite a few steps up in performance and durability. Get a set of GRP tires from Crazynut racing to replace the cheap kit slicks, put a hot motor in, and you guys will have a blast.

STEve B in NC
Old Apr 17, 2004, 02:26 PM
I'll be back..bwap bwaap
Seattle
Joined Oct 2003
450 Posts
Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.R.D. moto
Hi Drillah.

www.mcs80.too.it
I'm sorry.
Drillah is offline Find More Posts by Drillah
Old Apr 17, 2004, 05:12 PM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
Thanks guys for the suggestions, my son is really motivated now. Now for a question that Dads like to ask.

Which bike has the most upgrades available.

I also noticed in one other thread someone offering disk brakes and some other CNC goodies? I didn't get a chance to go over the thread in detail, but if this is for real disk brakes , is that to cool or what? Are these details available for electric or gas ones?

Is anyone in particular selling this stuff or is this avaialble through different vendors?

I will spend some time reading your input, suggestions and other threads, pardon me if I am asking what may have ben asked before.

Thanks Again,

Mario
Old Apr 17, 2004, 05:49 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,303 Posts
No prob Mario! Loved that tiny heli in your hand, btw! MY son would love that too! (he's 7)
steliosh is offline Find More Posts by steliosh
Old Apr 17, 2004, 07:20 PM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
Hello again, had a chance to look through most of the linksprovided here. I am very impressed with the bikes available.

If I may ask a silly question, why have the newer bikes gone to direct servo contorl vs. battery weight shift. Remember I have not been up to date on these things and the Royal bikes we have are both weight shift, I thought this was the preferred method of steering for some reason.

.. and are two streering links from one servo (push-pull) better than one.

I took appart the Royal bikes we have and noticed a dual spring support, I imagine, for the front fork sideplay suspension perhaps?, this was on the steering columm support and also had a plastic part linked from the battery holder swing to this dual spring support. I take it, this was only for this particular config, given it uses weight shift steering method.

Thanks Steliosh, www.micro-flight.com has more information on those little helis, but be warned the site has not been updated since December.

Thanks all.

Mario
Old Apr 17, 2004, 09:30 PM
STeve B in NC
North Carolina, USA
Joined Sep 2003
7,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario
Hello again, had a chance to look through most of the linksprovided here. I am very impressed with the bikes available.

If I may ask a silly question, why have the newer bikes gone to direct servo contorl vs. battery weight shift. Remember I have not been up to date on these things and the Royal bikes we have are both weight shift, I thought this was the preferred method of steering for some reason.

.. and are two streering links from one servo (push-pull) better than one.

Mario
Mario,

Countersteering is by far the preferred method of controlling R/C bikes because it is how full scale bikes are controlled. Two vs. one control rods is whatever your preference is. I have only one rod on all of my 1/5 bikes to make room for a steering damper, only because I feel the damper helps with control at speed, and prevents a lot of head shake under hard acceleration.
Old Apr 18, 2004, 12:27 AM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
Thanks again,

Has anyone done any mods for the Royal bikes? Looks like the Wheels of all 1/5 scale b ikes are all the same and possibly interchangeable?

I am also wondering where is the best place to purchase a TT, I think I will start there. Or maybe I will trade a Bumble Bee sub-micro heli kit for a TT if anyone is interested.

Are the TT's fully assembled and painted? Is the body plastic or vac formed ?

Mario
Old Apr 19, 2004, 05:17 AM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
Ok, I have looked at all the available options and I think I am going to stick with an electric TT.

I have a couple custom models like the one in the picture, brand new. I am going put them up on EBay, but I will hold off for about a week and see if anyone reading this has a new or slightly used TT and wants to do an even trade.

Once again Thanks all.

Mario
Old Apr 19, 2004, 06:31 AM
STeve B in NC
North Carolina, USA
Joined Sep 2003
7,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario
Thanks again,

Has anyone done any mods for the Royal bikes? Looks like the Wheels of all 1/5 scale b ikes are all the same and possibly interchangeable?

I am also wondering where is the best place to purchase a TT, I think I will start there. Or maybe I will trade a Bumble Bee sub-micro heli kit for a TT if anyone is interested.

Are the TT's fully assembled and painted? Is the body plastic or vac formed ?

Mario
Mario,

I haven't done any mods to my Royal, but only because I couldn't really see anything to modify to improve performance. The chassis, suspension, tires, handling, and ruggedness are so far behind the TT and NF bikes that it's best just to move on. I keep my old bikes around because they are quaint, but the newer bikes are light years ahead.

TT's are fully assembled, just add your choice of electrics and motor. Body is vac formed lexan. I'd try crazynutracing.com (CNR), ultimate hobbies or e-hobbies for best prices. And check out the upgrades for TT's and NF's while bowsing at CNR. This ain't your old Royal anymore.

STeve B in NC
Old Apr 19, 2004, 03:23 PM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
Steve,

This may not be for everyone but after taking appart the Royal Honda I see a number of things that can be done with the bike, as a project for those that like tinkering.

This is the reason I was asking about weight shift vs counterbalance steering. I understand now why counterbalance steering is prefered, I read it on one of the links provided here. It makes sence. But weight shift has also made sence and is a form that I have used for controlling some of my heli models and when I saw it on the Royal I was, like... that's kind of cool.

I really really liked some of the more customized and not mass produced Italian bikes, like TRD Moto (I think their craftsmanship is esquisite) but I am going for the electric TT for starters and see how they handle, although I have to be honest and say that I prefer the "overall appeal" the Royal Honda still has on me over the TT.

Just a personal preference, when it comes to bikes I like them nice and symetrical and the rider has to exhibit a great deal of "pose" and "realism" unfortunately none of the bike riders I have seen so far exhibit these qualities so that would be something I would enhance.

From some of the photos I have seen, the TT Rider seems to slouch funny and the head/helmet is a little bit weird, on the Royals the rider has a lot of character and pose, this really puts the extra touch of realism on the end product, reason I still favor the Royal bike look. So I might revamp the Royal bikes I have with tougher upgrades in G10 and Aluminum same stuff I use for my Helis. I'll do it as a fun project but I still want two electric TTs so I don't have to tinker for Sunday Fun with my Son.

My Email is MIADSGNS@COX.NET if anyone takes me up on the offer.

Thanks once again,

Mario
Last edited by Mario; Apr 19, 2004 at 03:27 PM.