HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2004, 10:00 PM
Nashvile
Joined Feb 2004
21 Posts
Kyosho PT-19 Conversion

Hello,
I have a Kyosho and a Global hobbies Pt-19
And I want to convert one of them to electric.
They are about the same size.
5 to 6lbs
60 inch wingspan
570 sq inch's of wing
48 inch's in length.
What would be a good setup for this kind of model?
From what I've seen looks like a hacker 50 (? size)
and some ly-polys for weight savings, but I don't know the sizes.
Please offer your opinions and or recommendation's.
Thanks in advance, Mark
Gizz_mo is offline Find More Posts by Gizz_mo
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2004, 11:09 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Yes a B50 is the family of Hacker motors. A B50 13s 6.7:1 on 16 cells or 5s4p/3p, 14x10 whould fly it very nicely with reduced amps from the classic Great Planes Venus 13s, 15x10, 16 cells. If you don't need a lot of veritical then a 4s pack would work well enough and you could go to a 15x10 then. I guess it depends on how you want to fly it; scale-like or all out unscale-like. You could also go with a B50 10L 5.2:1, 13x10 to 14x10 and 5s4p/3p. It's a heavier motor, and can take more power but more expensive. You won't need to go beyond 16 cells or 5s on lipos to have a nice flying model.

The B50 11s 6.7:1 is another popular model. Most fly these in aerobatic models using a 4s lipo pack and about a 15x10, 16x8. I would think a prop around 13 to 14" would look more scale on the ground.

A cheaper alternative is a Mega 22/30/2 at 4:1 with a 14x10 and 5s4p about 46 amps. Use a MEC gearbox. The Hackers sound better in the air and the planetary gearbox on them is maintenance free while the MEC has to be serviced no and then.

The nice thing about the B50 13, 11 series of motors is the are good choices for a lot of 5 - 6 lb models if you ever want to move it to something else.

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Old Apr 18, 2004, 07:32 AM
Singapore
Joined Jan 2001
736 Posts
Hi Kelvin...
mmmmmm......i am deciding between a HAcker setup and a MEGA with MEC gearbox, but i am kinda leaning towards the MEGA as I found out from my B20-15L, a bent bearbox shaft is very expensive to replace, as for the MEC, it seems a swap of the bent shaft is all i need to get back in the air with less 'pinch' to the wallet. but that sound factor is more important to me, does a MEGA with MEC gearbox sounds 'noisy' like your 'merlin-Hacker' Spitfire?
Muah is offline Find More Posts by Muah
Old Apr 18, 2004, 08:56 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muah
Hi Kelvin...
mmmmmm......i am deciding between a HAcker setup and a MEGA with MEC gearbox, but i am kinda leaning towards the MEGA as I found out from my B20-15L, a bent bearbox shaft is very expensive to replace, as for the MEC, it seems a swap of the bent shaft is all i need to get back in the air with less 'pinch' to the wallet. but that sound factor is more important to me, does a MEGA with MEC gearbox sounds 'noisy' like your 'merlin-Hacker' Spitfire?
My first Spitfire crashed nose first from high altitude due to my TX on the wrong model setting and the prop shaft got bent . It cost me less than $50 to get replaced and the turnaround was fast. A lot of people do the job themselves but is my first Hacker motor and it didn't want to take a chance.

I have a Mega 22/30/2, MEC gear box in my LT. I use a Pasquito mount where the motor is slid in an aluminum tube and I use a hose clamp to tight around it. This has to be the noisest electric I have and its not a good noise, an annoying noise. My Mega 22/20/2 MEC gearbox on my E3D is a little bit noisy also. I did for a short time, have a GWMP Sport E-Stik on a Hacker C40T12 with an MEC gearbox. This was a smooth and quiet flying model until a radio glitch sent it in nose first on final approach. That was it's third and last flight.

I have witnessed Jeff Myers Peashooter using a Maxcim and a MEC Monsterbox and it was very nice sounding, smooth and queit. The Mega motors have that cogging due to their design and it may impart unwanted sound. It is the only brushless motor that I own that does this; the other BL motors I have is a Jeti 15/3 and a small Typhoon 6. I appears the Mega/MEC combo will be noisier than another BL motor/MEC combo. You can buy Hackers without gearboxs and use a MEC on them. Not many do that but there is no reason you can't.

Now my Spitfire noise is music to my ears. I've seen plenty of Hacker powered models fly but the combination of the motor/gb, mount, firewall, cowl , prop, etc, it just sounds different, something addtional to other Hacker powered models I've seen so far. I don't beleive you will get this with a Mega/MEC combo.

Here's a link to a short 800k video demonstrating the sound my Spit makes.

Spit Passes

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Last edited by kelvin; Apr 18, 2004 at 09:01 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2004, 08:21 AM
Singapore
Joined Jan 2001
736 Posts
beautiful....seems i cannot save on the motor....purple is the only way to go =(
Muah is offline Find More Posts by Muah
Old Apr 19, 2004, 11:42 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Mark
I've run the MEC gearboxes in most of my models since their early days when the ability to swap driveshafts real fast was a real asset. They were originally made for much lower power and mated with pre-broken (folding ) props. Now they have much heftier shafts and better bearings - but swapping a gear ratio still only takes minutes and two hex keys.

The epicyclic boxes fitted to Hackers are a "one trick pony" deal - you're stuck with the gear ratio it came with . Of course, you can change props - not bad - or alter the cell count (real easy at the field ... ) Plus there's the noise and the feeling I've always had with mine that something that expensive shouldn't allow the prop tips to flap back and forth like that.

A fixed ratio is good for a "proven solution" - a BARF model that's been built in dozens. Swappable ratios are much easier on the mind if you're converting where no one has converted before.

If you really want it all, go check out www.maxcim.com MaxCim motors have always been aimed at sports and scale fliers - that they're in the Tu-4 "Bull" you see at the big scale meets says a lot.

These motors actually still have sensors - for the added weight and complexity of five skinny wires and their plug, you get speed control of a quality that the BL guys can only dream about. MaxCims now even come in blue anodised finish - not quite purple, but you can't have everything I have them in my big Cub (see pic at left), one 16 cell pattern bird and my 60" Gee Bee R2. I do use sensorless motors for my sports aerobatic models, but none match the MaxCim's speed control and smoothness of handling.

If you want real peace and quiet - go look up posts on AXI and other 'outrunner' types - these don't need gearboxes to swing larger props.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jan 08, 2005, 08:20 PM
Procrashtinating Builder
about 12" from my computer in Jacksonville Fl.
Joined May 2004
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizz_mo
Hello,
I have a Kyosho and a Global hobbies Pt-19
And I want to convert one of them to electric.
They are about the same size.
5 to 6lbs
60 inch wingspan
570 sq inch's of wing
48 inch's in length.
What would be a good setup for this kind of model?
From what I've seen looks like a hacker 50 (? size)
and some ly-polys for weight savings, but I don't know the sizes.
Please offer your opinions and or recommendation's.
Thanks in advance, Mark

I too am trying to convert a Kyosho PT-19 to electric. Did you have any luck with your set up and what did you decide to use?
BB
mastrsn is offline Find More Posts by mastrsn
Old Jan 09, 2005, 09:52 AM
Palm Bay, FL, USA
Joined May 2001
1,236 Posts
Hacker

Go with B50 10L w/5.2:1, 16x8 prop, TP6000 5S3p

more info:
www.Espritmodel.com
modest-master is offline Find More Posts by modest-master
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 09, 2005, 10:47 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,328 Posts
Mark,

I too use the MEC SuperBox; mostly with Aveox motors, but also with Mega and a couple of brushed motors.

Its flexibility of gear ratios allows you to do things that a fixed ratio (direct drive or planetary) just can’t.

Read about my .40 Mustang in my gallery ( http://rcgroups.com/gallery/showgall...500&ppuser=497 ) and watch and listen to my video.

The strongest noise present on my P-51 are the cut-outs in the spinner for the 4 bladed prop; PC can do very nice acoustic/Doppler analysis – Mustang flight speed was 76mph and the motor/prop turn the rpm as predicted via *calcs.

Direct drive AXI or Jeti is the quietest though ( http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4485 ).

BOL & keep us posted,

Jim
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Jan 09, 2005, 12:30 PM
Hastings, Hawkes Bay, New Zealand (Aotearoa)
Joined Feb 2000
1,449 Posts
Why not use a Mega on a Belt drive? (Model Airtech) Belts sound pretty cool...

Heather
Heather is offline Find More Posts by Heather
Old Jan 10, 2005, 09:14 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,280 Posts
I have to agree with you Heather. The belt drives that I've used put out a quiet hum that seem to be almost a scale sound. It sort of rumbles instead of the whining noise that gearboxes make.
GregG is online now Find More Posts by GregG