HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Spadplanter, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 06, 2004, 10:15 PM
I can TOO fly!
Southern Colorado
Joined Feb 2004
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsabuster2004
Wufnu, thanks for the comments. I was wondering if anybody would go to the trouble of viewing my build slideshow. Thanks for taking the time.
I did too. It was fantastic! I finally saw how someone that knows what they're doing rigged a nosewheel. Well done, and Thank You!
Spadplanter is offline Find More Posts by Spadplanter
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2004, 10:17 PM
Just a Great Guy!
Humble, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
117 Posts
airplane

Balsa,
The slideshow is really great. Presentation was good and material covered was very thorough.
The plane looks every bit as good as any store bought plane and Lord knows it is a ton cheaper. You are to be congratulated on your work.

I'm trying to come up with a pattern plane design that I can build for about $25.00 and beat the snot out of the guys next year with it in the Sportsmans Class at our pattern contest. We had 40 entries this past weekend and there were some mighty impressive ships there. Imagine how embarassed they will be when a SPAD whips their butts. All those tuned pipe expensive four stroke engines and those thousand dollar planes will be hanging their heads when $25.00 worth of plastic whips them. HA HA HA HA.

Anyhow, you did real good. My compliments.

JimRoss
JimRoss is offline Find More Posts by JimRoss
Old Jun 06, 2004, 10:35 PM
I can TOO fly!
Southern Colorado
Joined Feb 2004
246 Posts
Humble, Texas! What a great name for a town!!!!
Old Jun 06, 2004, 11:07 PM
Just a Great Guy!
Humble, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
117 Posts
Humble

We like it quite a bit. Just glad it wasn't named Humility, Texas. that would have been unbearable.
JimRoss is offline Find More Posts by JimRoss
Old Jun 07, 2004, 01:17 AM
I can TOO fly!
Southern Colorado
Joined Feb 2004
246 Posts
Or Chastity
Old Jun 16, 2004, 07:16 PM
Flies like an...
Joined May 2004
108 Posts
What a great bunch of plastic! I love coroplast planes, I just had to post and say so.
Balsabuster, that slideshow really is put together well!

Mosquitowings, do you have any templates left over for that L-19? You;ve got a really scale-looking bird there, I'd love to build one myself.
Vernon is offline Find More Posts by Vernon
Old Jun 17, 2004, 07:55 PM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Vernon

Vern: I'm allergic to balsa wood. (my hands start shaking, knees start knocking any time I'm flying a balsa plane). Decided this would be a good winter project. Crummy weather in the Northwest. Thanks for the comments.

Balsabuster
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004
Old Jun 17, 2004, 10:21 PM
Cessna 172H driver
lufkin,tx USA
Joined Nov 2003
87 Posts
This prototype #2. It flies great but is too heavy.(7lbs) I'm working on another one with 2 mil wings and a 4 mil spar. Also take out the gutterpipe and use 1/16 ply on the inside for the wing plug braces and maybe go with a wire landing gear. I'm hoping to shave off at least 2 lbs. It should then be able to go ballistic with an ASP.52 pulling it
acam37 is offline Find More Posts by acam37
Old Jun 17, 2004, 10:36 PM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Nice looking plane!
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004
Old Jun 17, 2004, 11:22 PM
Joined May 2004
21 Posts
here my spad in progress ....its a 30 x 10 wing, will be under 30" long,K&B .45, 11x6 prop, weight will add up to apprx 3.5 pounds when finished
hot_rod_kid is offline Find More Posts by hot_rod_kid
Old Jun 18, 2004, 01:37 AM
I can TOO fly!
Southern Colorado
Joined Feb 2004
246 Posts
Well, I see I need to get back to building.
Old Jun 20, 2004, 11:19 PM
Calm winds and CAVU skies
Lawton, OK
Joined Jan 2004
295 Posts
I'm going to build a SPA3D for my first spad. I was planning on getting nearly all that I needed to build it yesterday. But, it didn't quite work that way. I went to the airshow in Oklahoma City, and then went to both hobby stores there, and they close at 3, I got there around 6. I then went to Lowes that night, but got there 30 minutes after it closed. So now all I have is the poly for the engine mount, some screws, and I should have a full sheet of 4mm coro tomorrow. My engine is on it's way to my house (ebay). I'll post a pic or 2 when I get it put together.
globemaster3c17 is offline Find More Posts by globemaster3c17
Old Jul 06, 2004, 08:34 PM
"Superior Air Power"
Stayton, Oregon, USA
Joined May 2003
1,255 Posts
acam37,
I really like the looks of your prototype #2. How's the lighter version coming along? Do you have any plans?

John
War Bird Radio is offline Find More Posts by War Bird Radio
Old Jul 08, 2004, 11:39 PM
Cessna 172H driver
lufkin,tx USA
Joined Nov 2003
87 Posts
[QUOTE=War Bird Radio]acam37,
How's the lighter version coming along? Do you have any plans?

This is the final version of this plane. I guess I'll call it a "SPAD EXTRA". I went with an all coro fuselage and a 2 mil wing. This brought the weight down to about 5 lbs 12 oz. Our club prez flew it and said it was one of the best flying spads he's ever flown. It will do anything that you want it to do including knife edge. I still consider myself a beginner pilot and have no problem flying this plane,even landing. So I guess I have a keeper. As for plans, there are'nt any (yet). I just basicly took the measurements off a sig somethin extra and started builing with a lot of trial and error, especially the CG of the wing. I plan on building another one for a backup later on and I will take detailed photos along the way but right now I'm kind of burned out on building and just want to enjoy the one I have.
acam37 is offline Find More Posts by acam37
Old Jul 09, 2004, 04:26 PM
"Superior Air Power"
Stayton, Oregon, USA
Joined May 2003
1,255 Posts
acam37,
Very nice! Good looking bird!
Yeah, I understand about getting burned out on a build. I just finished an electric 40" pattern plane. After two weeks of flying I pulled a loop too low and rekit it. Balsa doesent bounce, that's why I'm going to SPADs. Too much time building and not enough time flying. So now I'm burned out and bummed out!

And I just want to fly!

John
War Bird Radio is offline Find More Posts by War Bird Radio