SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 16, 2004, 08:58 PM
Jim in Santee
United States, CA, Santee
Joined Oct 2001
194 Posts
Setting up full-span camber control on Sky Sergio w/Eclipse 7 radio

Just completed my new Sky Sergio sailplane. It has ailerons and a single center section flap. I have been trying to program full-span camber control in my Hitec Eclipse 7 using flap->aileron coupling. When I turn the flap control knob (ch.6) the flap goes up and the ailerons go down. I figured out that this is because the flap control pushrod/horn is mounted on top of the wing as opposed to the aileron controls which are of course mounted on the underside.

Any ideas as to how I can set up full-span camber control with this plane and radio???

Jim
jshelton is offline Find More Posts by jshelton
Last edited by jshelton; Apr 16, 2004 at 10:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2004, 10:56 PM
Joined Dec 2003
43 Posts
Why dont you try to reverse the direction of the channel that controls the flaps that way they move the same way when you turn the flap control knob.
Mr. Sunshine is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Sunshine
Old Apr 16, 2004, 10:59 PM
Jim in Santee
Joined Oct 2001
194 Posts
Yeah - I tried that...

Thanks - I tried that but then my crow configuration doesn't work correctly because the flap will then go up instead of down! If I have to choose between them I'd rather have the crow landing capability over camber control.

I'm looking in the manual to see if I can use another feature such as 'flight conditions' settings.

Jim
Old Apr 17, 2004, 01:19 AM
Fiberglass dont bounce???
Zion, Il.
Joined Sep 2002
2,408 Posts
Great, another Sergio owner I also have an Eclipse and have been thinking about doing the same thing. I will keep an eye on this thread so I can do mine also. When using "crow" on the Sergio, it almost stops on the air and floats down, almost like its flying in slow motion, I love my Sergio. I think your on the right track with the flight condition switch, being a 3 position switch. I will try to figure mine out and post if I have any luck ...R...
RandyK1 is offline Find More Posts by RandyK1
Old Apr 17, 2004, 01:58 AM
Omnipote
Louisville, KY
Joined Apr 2001
665 Posts
I am not a Sergio or Eclipse owner, but I have had several similar problems on both sailplanes and parkflyers.

When you have an undesired inverse control surface deflection while mixing functions you generally need to reprogram the Tx for the appropriate +/- mixing more often than you need to reorient the servo or linkage.

I have typically met with very bad results when I try to add positive camber to outboard or full span ailerons. Airliners may use mild positive camber for outboard TE surfaces on landing - but they only do this in conjunction with extending the LE. Most often they only use auxillary control surfaces on the top of the wing while they are in this positive camber landing configuration.

Long story short, figure out your radio mixing settings on the bench and DO NOT experiment with full span positive camber until you have sorted everything out and are 'several mistakes high'.

David

- It's better you hear it from me than learning it the hard way
stone_axe is offline Find More Posts by stone_axe
Old Apr 17, 2004, 10:35 AM
Slope Stud
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined May 2001
2,278 Posts
Hi Jim,
When is the maden of the Sky Sergio?
I would like to see how it flys. I live in San Diego also and work at Discount hobbys, I have a Sky Sergio that I am finishing up, I may take it to work today and work on it there.
What color is yours I have seen them in yellow/purple and red/yellow.

ORANATOR
ORANATOR is offline Find More Posts by ORANATOR
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2004, 06:17 PM
Bro
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,949 Posts
Sky Sergio

Please advise on the experience with your Sergio's. We have received a number of them in stock, and have one "in line" for flight testing...
Look for them on the new website soon!
Looks like a winner to me!

Any reports will be greatly appreciated!

Good Air!
Bob Breaux

www.SoaringUSA.com
Bro is offline Find More Posts by Bro
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 18, 2004, 06:26 PM
New Zealand
Joined Nov 2001
346 Posts
Hi guys we have done a fair bit of playing around over her with the sky sergio and the Pulsar ad my advise to you is dont bust a gut to get your camber working. She really dosent need it. The pulsar does respond in some conditions to some camber but the sky sergio just likes it the way it is and floats like a butterfly. Enjoy

Regards

Shaun
mitc99kd is offline Find More Posts by mitc99kd
Old Apr 18, 2004, 09:30 PM
Jim in Santee
Joined Oct 2001
194 Posts
reply to stone axe

Thanks for the input. I have used positive camber on my Omega 1.8 with some good success. I use it only in thermals and then only about 1/16" to 1/8".

Looks like from the feedback I've gotten so far, I probably don't need it on the Sky Sergio. I'm going to try flying without it and then look into it later if it seems like a good idea.

Jim
Old Apr 18, 2004, 09:36 PM
Zion, Il.
Joined Sep 2002
2,408 Posts
If you lower the flap by a few "clicks" it does seem to fly slower. On the Eclipse my flaps are set on the left knob and when you turn it you can feel the clicks. You can still use crow like this (on the throttle stick) and it works very well. Dont forget to raise the flaps before you touch down or you will break the flap or strip the servo gear. ...R...
Old Apr 18, 2004, 09:40 PM
Jim in Santee
Joined Oct 2001
194 Posts
reply to Oranator

Mine is yellow and purple and looks great. I had requested red/yellow but I'm very glad that I got yellow/purple.

I live in Santee and plan to maiden the plane sometime in the next few days at a field in Santee. It depends on the weather and my health. I have a chronic hormonal illness which forces me to take things one day at a time. So it's hard for me to plan with much certainty.

Where's the hobby shop you work at? I might drop by to show you my plane and talk about getting together to fly. I'm a member of the Silent Electric Flyers of San Diego and sometimes fly at the club field next to Sea World.

Jim
Old Apr 18, 2004, 10:00 PM
Jim in Santee
Joined Oct 2001
194 Posts
reply to Bro

Haven't flown it yet but here's my setup and initial impressions:

- Graupner Speed 400 w/4:1 inline gearbox.
- Jeti 250 speed controller (large for a speed 400 but it supports BEC w/4 servos)
- 12x7.5 carbon fiber prop
- 7-cell Kan1050
- Hitec Electron receiver
- Hitec HS55 servos (4)
- AUW is 25oz.

- Looks great and is well-made. However, I didn't care for the included hardware
- No instructions are included although there is a drawing on the Niagara Frontier Models website that helps a bit
- Fuse is very cramped and it took a long time to get things laid out. I ended up making a thin plywood tray tp mount the receiver and elevator servo on. I then slide this tray back as far as possible to allow clearance to slide the battery in.
- It's a bit of a pain to change batteries since you have to remove the wing and then try to tuck all of those servo wires back in!
- It was difficult to run the servo extensions in the wing mainloy because their were no tubes included and I ended up using pushrod housings. The wires fit so tight that I really can't disassemble the wing without pulling hard on the wires.
- The biggest pain was getting the elevator pushrod to work without binding or rubbing against the receiver or the tail boom.

I'll follow up with a report after I fly it.

Jim
Old Apr 19, 2004, 12:00 AM
Zion, Il.
Joined Sep 2002
2,408 Posts
This is how I did my elevator servo and Berg 6G RX. The Servo has a little goop on the bottom and the RX velcros to the side and still have plenty of room for the battery. It works good so far. I hated plugging in all those plugs so I replaced them with 1 Multiplex 6 pin plug, now I only have to plug in 1 plug and I am ready to fly ") ...R..
Last edited by RandyK1; Apr 19, 2004 at 12:06 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2004, 08:06 AM
.Denver, Co.
Joined Feb 2003
1,415 Posts
Shouldn't need full TE camber on a sp400, but if you still want to try it, here is how you can do it on the the Eclipse.
Be sure to go to my second post-the first one is wrong.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...full+TE+camber
flyingdogtwo is offline Find More Posts by flyingdogtwo
Last edited by flyingdogtwo; Apr 20, 2004 at 08:19 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 02:23 AM
Joined Mar 2003
3,070 Posts
SKy Sergio - full TE camber

AS others have said, I wouldn't even mess with it. It's mainly because the Sky Sergio has very narrow moving surfaces- it just doesn't respond that well to the minimal input you'd usually use to camber or reflex the trailing edge. That plane is really a floater and I didn't even bother using crow on mine, the flap with elevator compensation worked great. Make sure to raise that flap just before touchdown or you be gluing your control horn back to the flap.

Have fun - it's a great plane!

BTW, I set mine up with rudder initially. Had Cut the last 1 inch off the existing verticle stab and replaced it with a much larger rudder. It was a little too much surface, but I liked having the rudder control on launch and to initiate turns. After a while I went back to the original setup, thinking I'd keep the weight down with one less servo and control lines.If I was to do it again, I'd add a small rudder. Here's a picture of my radio compartment after removing the rudder servo. Electron 6 receiver out of the case fit behind the wing saddle. Then everything else fit very nicely. Weight all up - 23.25 ounces on 7 cells, geared sp400, Sprite 25 controller, 12/7 prop.
ClayH is offline Find More Posts by ClayH