HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2001, 07:44 PM
Sitka, Alaska
Joined Mar 2001
248 Posts
Questions and thoughts about Palmer Plans C-130

I've been looking at getting a C-130 for some time now and I've wanted to build from scratch without using foam and the palmer plans are the only ones I've found. I was originally thinking about the 87"ws Herc and have found some pics on the internet of a partially completed one Here and here but living in a small apt think it might be just a little too big.

I'm thinking about using the 51.75"ws herc and blowing up the plans 25% to give it roughly a 65"ws. I think the simplicity of the smaller design would be better (no flaps , retracts, & cargo door) to help keep it lighter. The 51" Herc has a 34 oz sq ft wing load with the Cox engines and I think by enlarging the bird it would help with the wing load.

My question is has anyone seen a Palmer plans C-130 fly. I've looked all over the internet and have yet to find one. The boys over at RCOnline (forgive me if I have offended ) don't say anything good about palmer C-130 plans besides they're "detailed". Has anyone ever seen the 51.75" Herc plans by Palmer??? If so how were they? I called Palmer one day a few weeks ago and the person I talked to just wasn't interested in selling the plans I had some questions about converting them the elec and all I got is ,Ya it can be done, nothing constructive out of the conversation.

What are your thoughts of what I have in mind and Palmer plans in general? I would also be open to other C-130 plans balsa only please in the 60-70" range.

Thanks

Lucas

Palmer plans website
Lucas in Alaska is offline Find More Posts by Lucas in Alaska
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2001, 12:32 AM
That should fly!
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Oct 2001
2,406 Posts
I can just see this model now, with four four blade props from EAM at this link and gear drives. As for the Palmer plans, I can not vouch for the plane, but I can vouch for Glenn Del Conte AKA FANMAN's work. Look him up, I am sure he could work up some plans that will suit you for less than Palmer is going to charge. I am not sure what type of detail level you are looking for, flaps, gear, etc...but I am sure he could quickly dole out some less elaborate plans that would you a basis for experimentation.

James
Admiral_Red is offline Find More Posts by Admiral_Red
Old Dec 30, 2001, 05:34 PM
Sitka, Alaska
Joined Mar 2001
248 Posts
I was thinking because it will be balsa and weigh a little more than EAM 60" Herc (EAM using the foam 2lb 7oz auw using 280 motors) I would use S400 motors with 4 blade Vario props. That would look too cool. I wonder if I would need gear boxes for the 400's???
I don't need the working door, retracts or the flaps. their nice but only add weight. I guess if I was too add the options it would be a toss between the retracts and flaps first then the working rear door last.

Lucas
Old Jan 03, 2002, 01:04 AM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Dec 2001
264 Posts
I just bought a set of the Palmer plans for the 52" C-130... I too am trying to convert this baby to Electric. Some guy said to use 4 280 motors.. I laughed. This is my first electric model, but I do know that 400's are needed for this one I've been searching all over the net for people making this plan in an electric or even as the gas version, but no luck.

david
dizza is offline Find More Posts by dizza
Old Jan 03, 2002, 01:15 AM
Sitka, Alaska
Joined Mar 2001
248 Posts
dizza,

I have too agree with you it is very hard to find any info on palmer plans on the internet. If you look at EAMs C-130 it has a 50" WS and uses 280 motors. I suspect if you keep the weight way down you could too but EAMs model is like 2.5 lbs RTF prob impossible to keep you bird that light. I'm talking to FANMAN right now about kitting a C130 for me just trying to figure exactly what I want (WS 70"+) and can afford with building and gear.

lucas
Old Jan 03, 2002, 01:32 AM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Dec 2001
264 Posts
I don't mind cutting all the wood myself... but I thought I'd save some time and have someone cut the kit for me. Either it costs $250... or it will take 8 weeks... or they don't do it for the smallest of the 3 C-130's that Palmer does.

David
Old Jan 03, 2002, 02:13 AM
Sitka, Alaska
Joined Mar 2001
248 Posts
I haven't pesonally seen palmers C-130 52" plans but I hear his plans have a lot parts. Do you have the plans? How do they look?

Contact FANMAN about having him kit a C-130 for you, like I said he'll really work with you with WS. Look around the internet he does a great job take a look at this ATR42 has basicly the same nacelles as the C-130.

Good luck

Lucas
Old Jan 04, 2002, 01:11 AM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Dec 2001
264 Posts
The plans look nice... 3 good sized plans and an instruction book that describes what to do. A Photo book would of been a nice edition, and the spelling in the book is way off Guess he doesn't believe in Spell Checking. Looks like a sturdy designed plane.

David
Old Jan 04, 2002, 01:14 AM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Dec 2001
264 Posts
Got some quotes for cutting the wood for me ... prices ranged from $450 to $800! So... cost of materials would be probably $80-100, and then my time cutting. I have all the tools I need and more... and I have time. So it looks like I'll do the cutting myself, and spend that huge chunk of change on the motors on the plane.

I couldn't believe it cost that much to cut the wood.

David
Old Jan 04, 2002, 10:13 AM
That should fly!
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Oct 2001
2,406 Posts
Who did you check with on cutting it? Did you check with FANMAN?

James
Old Jan 04, 2002, 10:25 AM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Dec 2001
264 Posts
As a matter of fact, I am talking to him right now about it.

David
Old Jan 04, 2002, 10:31 AM
That should fly!
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Oct 2001
2,406 Posts
Excellent, great guy, he should treat you right.

James
Old Jan 04, 2002, 11:21 AM
Exton, PA, USA
Joined Jul 2001
35 Posts
Lucas,
I have the 1/12 scale c-130 palmer plans that I am converting to electric. The plans are very detailed and do require a modest amount of building experience. The plans came with enclosed instructions that give you an idea on how to proceed. Unfortunately the instructions do not have any construction pictures.
At this time I have finished the fuselage structure and the horizontal stabilizer, but I need to work out some bugs in the retract system. I installed a servo driven mechanical retract system that I had from another model but the servo can barely lift the weight of the main wheels (4x4.5" dia). I may have to drop some cash on an air retract system
The power system has been set up 4 speed 700s driving a 2:1 gear box. I have yet to find a suitable 11x6 four bladed prop.
tmpalfalvi is offline Find More Posts by tmpalfalvi
Old Jan 04, 2002, 11:35 AM
That should fly!
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Oct 2001
2,406 Posts
What about 4 4-blade Varios? http://eam.net/Varioprop/Intro_Vario.htm Now that would look great! And the pitch is variable too.

James
Old Jan 04, 2002, 11:48 AM
Always looking UP
Lilburn, Georgia, USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,361 Posts
High quotes!

You know I dont quote anything that outrageous, average cost is $150.00, scan, overdraw, review plan, laser cut, final plans, and shipping, however `RUSH JOB' will be considerably more! I dont make much of any $, and you can't see my `Tip' jar from where you are

Think it over, the `Spring Window' isnt far off....
FANMAN is offline Find More Posts by FANMAN