HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2004, 09:11 AM
antipodean recalcitrant
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Joined Feb 2004
3,171 Posts
Mini Weasel Maiden

I took this new mini weasel out today in 15-20 knots and it was a lot of fun! Had a rogue seagull chase me up and down the slope for a while.

Not trimmed out properly yet (might need a quieter day to do that!) but showing a glimpse of just how much fun it is going to be!

I really enjoyed the fact that I was able to fly it at a local mini-slope where I would not normally attempt to fly my larger foam wings. Suddenly a whole bunch of new sloping options are becoming available!

It's nowhere near as light as those French minis but it is FAST!
AntonL is offline Find More Posts by AntonL
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2004, 09:17 AM
ARE YOU READY KIDS???
Camarillo, California, United States
Joined Mar 2004
390 Posts
I think I'm gonna have to break down and get me one of those "Weasels". They sure get some great reviews!!!

SD
Sloper Dave is offline Find More Posts by Sloper Dave
Old Apr 16, 2004, 09:20 AM
Flying the Inland Valley
Murrieta, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,254 Posts
I took my new mini Weasel out for it's first flight yesterday. It was great fun. It looks like you glued your tail on instead of taping it.

Joe
joeskysailor is offline Find More Posts by joeskysailor
Old Apr 16, 2004, 09:24 AM
antipodean recalcitrant
Joined Feb 2004
3,171 Posts
Nope, it's taped with clear tape. Although, maybe I hadn't done it yet when those pics were taken!
Old Apr 16, 2004, 09:41 AM
Joined May 2002
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloper Dave
I think I'm gonna have to break down and get me one of those "Weasels". They sure get some great reviews!!!

SD
Umm.... a word of warning here. Flying the mini Weasel is HIGHLY ADDICTIVE ! My friend let me fly his mini Weasel the other day and I was immediately surprised by it's agility. I could keep the little thing flying around me within an approx. 5m x 3m area and keep making tight turns without stalling. I have flown various types of sailplanes but the experience with the mini Weasel is truly unique. I kept flying, flying, flying that day until the 150 mAh receive pack ran out . Wow!

Y C Lui
yclui is offline Find More Posts by yclui
Old Apr 16, 2004, 11:13 AM
Dave Massongill
yucaipa, ca
Joined Dec 2003
1,354 Posts
thats why you need to buy the 270 battery that micheal offers that fits perfectly in the nose. you can fly twice as long
masson74 is offline Find More Posts by masson74
Old Apr 16, 2004, 12:23 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,642 Posts
YEAH! one thing i would LOVE to do over again if i could.... would be order my mini weasel WITH a battery from him.... it was semi-difficult to find a battery to fit right in the tiny nose but i did find one.... if your gonna order the plane DEFINATLEY! order the battery too. well worth it.

i have my "dephron" fin it came with.... just pressed in and it has never come out..... actually havent had to even re-adjust it after crashes.... HAHA MAN! is it funny to see it crash.... sounds dumb but when you crash it, its such a funny sight.... because of its size and weight it literally bounces up the hill. hahaha

Joe
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill
Old Apr 16, 2004, 12:24 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,642 Posts
what is the blue on the fuse and elevons? i see no tape lines?

looks good

Joe
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill
Old Apr 16, 2004, 12:29 PM
Flying the Inland Valley
Murrieta, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,254 Posts
I got the 300 battery from Michael when I bought the kit and it fits just right.

Joe
joeskysailor is offline Find More Posts by joeskysailor
Old Apr 16, 2004, 03:46 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,075 Posts
Hehehe, I've probably said it already but I just love doing it, so...

WELCOME TO THE AXIS!

In the words of the immortal Obi Wan Kenobi, "You've taken your first steps into a larger world...."

You know, as much as I post and I post and I post and I post about how much I enjoy flying my Weasels, people just don't understand. Until you hand them the transmitter, of course. Like other addictive substances, "you don't sell Weasels, they sell themselves!!"

Glad you're having fun with your plane. They take a bit of fiddling to get dialed in, but once you get it right then you're done. Looks like the tape job came out great--really a cute one!

I've noticed that gulls and some other birds (crows) really seem to like (or maybe hate?) planes that have yellow and red on top. I don't know why, but every time they go for the bright colors. When they attack, I enjoy showing them what a loop looks like from the inside of the circle. Once you get on their "6", they usually leave well enough alone, which is best for all involved as far as I'm concerned. I don't want to hurt them, and I don't want them to attack my plane, so a little break to the vertical plane solves all the problems in one beautiful loop

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2004, 08:27 PM
antipodean recalcitrant
Joined Feb 2004
3,171 Posts
I also got the 300mAh battery with the plane from Michael. Looks like it was a sound decision. I've learned from experience that non-standard battery packs can be hard to track down around here, unless you pay someone to make up a custom pack for you, or you do it yourself.

Joe - the fuz (and wing) is taped with standard polypropylene tape, and the elevons are covered in thin sign-writer's vinyl (Avery 800PF from memory). The vinyl is thin (50 microns I think it is, which = 0.05 mm) but I'm not sure how the weight compares to tape or iron-on covering. Perhaps it is slightly heavier and that is one of the reasons my mini came out a little heavy (5.3 or so oz).

Steve - thanks for all your advice and the warm welcome to the axis! I'm looking forward to tuning it up more. Won't happen today though as it's blowing 30 knots (35 mph) out there! I actually enjoyed flying with the seagull. It didn't seem to have a go at the plane (unlike a recent encounter I had with an eagle!). It was just curiously chasing it up and down.
Old Apr 17, 2004, 08:32 AM
swimfreedolphin
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
42 Posts
There was an attempt to fly this mini weasel off a small wall!! With some success!

I was just wondering what is the smallest slope such a plane will fly?

I still haven't finished building mine!! Yet will I be able to control such a dynamic plane? As I am still learning how to fly and these little things seem to fly very fast and are very aerobatic!!
swimfreedolphin is offline Find More Posts by swimfreedolphin
Old Apr 17, 2004, 11:12 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,075 Posts
The miniWeasel can be a bit of a handful for the truly novice pilot, but if you've got any amount of experience at all--i.e. you can keep a plane flying back and forth in the standard figure 8 without difficulty--then you should be able to handle the miniWeasel. Just turn down the aileron rates somewhat to slow the roll rate down a bit, and you'll find it quite easy and fun to fly. It handles very much like the fullsize Weasel-pro, it's just smaller and lighter so you've got to stay on it a bit more. But after you master the miniWeasel, anything else will be cake!

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2004, 11:19 AM
Austin, Tx
Joined Nov 2003
1,052 Posts
Quote:
I still haven't finished building mine!! Yet will I be able to control such a dynamic plane? As I am still learning how to fly and these little things seem to fly very fast and are very aerobatic!!
I am certain you will surprise yourself the first time you fly the weasel. You will be doing loops and rolls in no time and exclaiming to yourself " I'm flying with the liquid weightless grace of a dolphin.

Make sure that the GC is spec on and that the deflections are set to those shown in the construction manual. It very important to get the elevator throws set correctly as the plane is very pitch sensitive.

Looking forward to the flight report and video

Steven
Pegasus is offline Find More Posts by Pegasus
Old Apr 17, 2004, 07:24 PM
Hesparia,CA
Joined Apr 2004
414 Posts
where do you order these things, im having a blast with it onb the sss sim so now i want to get one.
tsunami is offline Find More Posts by tsunami