SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 16, 2004, 12:10 AM
Roxboro, NC U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2000
714 Posts
What will Muriatic acid do to PVC pipe?

Hey guys, I am painting my basement walls with UGL waterproofing paint. One of the steps is to remove effuence (sp?) and etch the wall with a 20% muriatic acid solution. Then seal cracks and paint with 2 coats of this paint. I am about to get to the PVC pipes that carry the wastewater to the septic system. Has anyone used this acid around plastic pipes? I guess I could go and buy a small piece of pipe and try it but in my tired, up to late brain I figured I would ask here. Thanks in advance.
Mike C is offline Find More Posts by Mike C
Old Apr 16, 2004, 12:25 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,553 Posts
Muriatic (Hydrochloric) acid at even 20%, about half normal commercial strength, shouldn't damage PVC plumbing pipes for the use you have in mind, i.e. fairly brief exposure. Even so, it'd be a good idea to rinse the system with plenty of water immediately. Presumably you have some means of ventilating the basement and protective clothing. Humans are less tolerant than PVC
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Apr 16, 2004, 09:16 AM
Roxboro, NC U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2000
714 Posts
Ventilation? That's why I have that funny grin on my face when I finish
I have the windows and doors open and a fan blowing to the outide and I am wearing one of the lightweight particle masks to keep it off of my face. I still have to take some breaks from the fumes though. I am surprised at how time consuming it is to do this job correctly.
Old Apr 16, 2004, 10:52 AM
Believer...
Bean Town 0 years since last World Series Win!!!!!
Joined Jul 2002
138 Posts
Tell me about fumes... I've worked with 12 Molar HCl (when you take the cap off it you can see it's volatility in the air above the bottle). At the concentration you're using it shouldn't be too bad. Just do as Martin Suggests. Just last week I was exposed to a massive amount of vaporized Paraformaldehyde... lovely stuff that is caustic, highly flammable, a suspected carcinogen, and does a fantastic job of burning your respiratory tract/eyes.

RG
research_guy is offline Find More Posts by research_guy
Old Apr 16, 2004, 11:07 AM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Muriatic acid in high concentrations is often used to remove calcium buildup from emptied swimming pools. It is usually sprayed on with a garden type sprayer and allowed to puddle at the bottom of the pool as the plaster is scrubbed with a broom or such.

Most modern pools use PVC piping, and I have yet to see a warning against the acid's use at any pool supply store where I have usually bought it, so I think that you are safe.

Even so, that's some nasty stuff, so I'd follow Martin's advice and rinse it out of the area asap.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Apr 17, 2004, 03:55 AM
Will work for planes
Fullerton, California, United States
Joined Jan 2002
1,783 Posts
Your OK. we use 100% were I work , I use it to rmove all sorts of build up.
omega blood is offline Find More Posts by omega blood
Old Apr 17, 2004, 12:50 PM
Rip th... Bring the Beer!
La Mesa, CA, US
Joined Jan 2001
419 Posts
I'd be very careful about breathing acid vapors. It's not the same thing as breathing solvent vapors (still very bad). It literally can eat away at your lung tissue. A paper mask is no protection at all againast this since the vapor is much smaller than the space between the paper fibers. I would highly reccomend getting a proper respirator with an acid filter cartridge.

I once got a face full of acetic acid vapor (think highly concentrated vinegar). Some idiot had put their glassware in a drying oven with a trace of acetic acid still on it. When I went to get my stuff out of the oven, I stuck my face right up to it to see where things were, and got MACED! Had a hard time breathing for a minute, and had to keep my face in the eye wash for fifteen minutes (you don't know how fun that is until you have to do it ). Those first chemistry lab classes in college are dangerous since nobody know what they are doing yet.

Brad
chemsurfer is offline Find More Posts by chemsurfer
Old Apr 17, 2004, 01:42 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,553 Posts
Chemsurfer, I suppose you're right but anybody who's worked a while in a lab tends to be a little lax on safety measures. I remember pipetting conc. nitric using my mouth, getting the occasional mouthfull and just spitting it out. That's why there are sinks on lab benches.
Maybe Mike could break in to say he's still alive and breathing to reassure us
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Apr 18, 2004, 10:36 PM
Roxboro, NC U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2000
714 Posts
Yesssiff Iba isba stilba here. noba probablemba.
So far no problems with the acid. I give the walls a couple of days to thoroughly dry before I paint. So far the proccess isn't hard just time consuming. Making sure I do it right so I don't have to do it again for a long while.
May go out and check on the price of a good filter. I have already purchased some polyethylene suits to protect my skin and clothing. I am using it very liberally on the walls.
Has anyone else used this brand paint? (UGL latex paint) How long did it last?
Old Apr 18, 2004, 10:38 PM
Roxboro, NC U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2000
714 Posts
Whew, I'm not superstitious or anything but the number of my last post made me want to post again quickly.