SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 15, 2004, 09:26 PM
Outside Lincoln Montana
Joined Jan 2004
16 Posts
Decals for a 1/12 scale Tucano????

I'm building a 1/12 scale Tucano and will soon need a set of decals and a couple of modern military busts (simple helmets and visors sort of figures) to finish it off. I suppose any decals for a 1/12 scale modern British military aircraft would be fine. I'll need roundels and "don't step" sort of stuff.
Please help me find a source.

Thanks,
Mountain Man
Mountain man is offline Find More Posts by Mountain man
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2004, 12:20 AM
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Oct 2001
2,324 Posts
Hi Mountain man

What plans are you using for the Tucano?

You can get small modern busts from Warbirds-R/C.com

Bruce
gbruce is offline Find More Posts by gbruce
Old Apr 17, 2004, 12:38 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,167 Posts
I have a .JPG of the markings you can print out if you like.
Here's a shot of my Nigel Hawes plan built Tucano I made for slope soaring with the printed decals, and a small version of the decal file.
Let me know if you want a copy of the file I have. ~400k.
Cheers
Paul
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Apr 17, 2004, 09:35 PM
Outside Lincoln Montana
Joined Jan 2004
16 Posts
Tucano Plans Source

Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I'd like to get that file if I could. Just let me know how.
My plans were by Steve Griffiths & Mike Briggs of the UK. I came by them in Quiet Flyer Magazine (November 2003). The plans were supplied by Kiona Publishing 1-(866) 627-0456. Take care to look over the plans well. The chord on the wing shown on the plan is about two inches too big. I put the rest of the plan in my CAD program and checked it out for fit & made some changes. The wing is now ready to cover and the fuse starts tomorrow. I'll let you know how the fuse goes together. I'll check back in few days for an answer.
Thanks for the help,
Mountain Man
Old Apr 18, 2004, 03:28 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,167 Posts
Just PM me your email (don't post it here) and I'll send it to you.

Cheers
Paul
Old Apr 24, 2004, 10:48 PM
Outside Lincoln Montana
Joined Jan 2004
16 Posts
Pic of Tucano In the nude-on a bear rug no less

Gouch, here is a pic of the Tucano. I couldn't send it to you without your address. I'll send amessage notifying you its here.
Mountain Man
Last edited by Mountain man; Apr 24, 2004 at 11:05 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 12:15 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,167 Posts
Looking real nice mountain man, what are the specs of it?
Looks like you ate well too

Cheers
Paul

P.S Sorry for the off topic, here's an underwater shot I took of "our" mates the other day. It's a male grey nurse, protected species, about 4 meters ~13 feet.
Apparently this species are far from killers but that wouldn't stop me walking on water to get away

The photo is fair dinkum, but I won't mention the 4" of glass separating us
Old May 22, 2004, 10:58 AM
Got CAD ?
Canada
Joined Mar 2004
689 Posts
Thank you for the Tucano Markings file.

Just checked my email and it is a very good quality file. You are correct about Nigel Hawes designs. I am building the Tucano in 2 sizes and the Hawk. They all go together so nice and it is good to hear they are tough. Nigel Hawes designed the OHKA and the Hawker Hunter (I have both) and I just got the Tornado free plan in RCM&E so now I have most of his plans.

Since I do not live near the ocean we slope soar here in a river valley over looking a cattle ranch. Nice scenery but the landings are rough (lack of skill on my part). A 20mph wind out of the south is great slope weather here. My Sophisticated Lady is overweight and was given to me already built. The tail needed to be reinforced so that added some more weight. AUW is 28.8 oz including a 4 CELL 900 NiMH battery. The larger pack helps to balance the plane with the fiberglass repair on the tail.
PLANE FREAK is offline Find More Posts by PLANE FREAK
Old May 22, 2004, 11:02 AM
Got CAD ?
Canada
Joined Mar 2004
689 Posts
Here is a photo of the valley we fly in. It doesn't look very big in this photo but we are 200 feet from the valley floor.
Old May 22, 2004, 11:04 AM
Got CAD ?
Canada
Joined Mar 2004
689 Posts
Overweight but she handles the wind nicely.
Old May 23, 2004, 07:47 PM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,167 Posts
No worries plane freak. Nice detail in your plane too.

Hey mountain man, hows the tucano going?.....Maybe the bears have gotten to him?

Cheers
Paul
Old May 28, 2004, 12:28 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2004
436 Posts
Hi guys!

As you know, the Tucano is a Brazilian Embraer product. And since I am Brazilian, I made some decals from our Air Force as the decals that came with my kit, the HET-RC, are British... Once I have the plane ready I will take some pictures and post. I used the Avery clear adhesive 8.5x11" size and cut it after printing (inkjet). Works great!!

Roberto
Mesnik is offline Find More Posts by Mesnik
Old May 29, 2004, 12:42 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,167 Posts
Yes, please do post some pics. I have been trying to get some of the adhesive you mention with not much luck. Is it clear plastic before printing?

MOUNTAIN MAN!! Where are you!! Hows your tucano coming along?

Cheers
Paul
Old May 30, 2004, 08:26 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2004
436 Posts
Paul,

It is clear to begin with. Here is a picture of the Avery package and some of my decals... Send me PM with your email if you want and I can send you my files.

Take care,
Roberto.
Old Jun 06, 2004, 07:04 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2004
436 Posts
I just found out that the ink comes out just by rubbing it with a little amount of water!! So the solution is to use clear coat or fixative after printed. I have used both and they work great. I noticed that the clear coat eats foam a lot more than the fixative so if the decal is already on (like on my Flanker), do not use clear coat...

R.