HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2004, 09:21 PM
Perth, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
680 Posts
Need info on speed 400 size glider.

I used to fly glider for many years and now I like to get into EP glider. I like to stay with speed 400 size since I got all the gears like gearbox, 20A esc, 8x600 mah nicad and 8x1050 1050 Kan packs.
I am thinking of building a V-tail glider with carbon (arrow shaft) boom. I would like to know what will be the maximum wing span and wing chord should be before it gets too big.
My 11 years old son is showing interest in RC planes and I like to teach him to fly with this glider.

I would like to know: Ideal wing span, wing chord, airfoil to use, gearbox ratio, propeller size and brand etc.

Perhaps someone can help direct me to another website or thread that has picture and plan for what I am looking for.

Thank you.
tocano is offline Find More Posts by tocano
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2004, 11:11 PM
Toy Flyer
Flying Field, Work Bench
Joined Mar 2004
599 Posts
VX400 or Skimmer. Cheap.

If a slope is available, then teach your kid to fly with an EPP toy. I failed to teach myself to fly with EP gliders and parkflyers... then I built a RAIDER from WingWarrior; and chased it down hills until I learned to land at the top of the hill. EPP does not bounce, but it will take an amazing number of "yard dart" landings.
glover is online now Find More Posts by glover
Old Apr 15, 2004, 11:30 PM
P-61 WWII Night Fighter
Sylmar, CA
Joined Jan 2004
1,538 Posts
Could try this for $15:
http://members.aol.com/alcyonepilot/Mosquito.htm

Or this for $20:
http://members.aol.com/alcyonepilot/EPanther.htm
Solcat is offline Find More Posts by Solcat
Old Apr 16, 2004, 12:25 AM
Perth, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
680 Posts
Epp

I actually have a diy Zagi with speed 400 but I though would be difficult to learn on since it's not a standard rudder and elevator beginner setup.
I think I should get him to try it, I am kind of getting bored of it anyway.
Old Apr 16, 2004, 12:28 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,516 Posts
I'll 2nd the SKimmer. It's occationally on sale at Hobbylobby for $19. One of the best small gliders I've flown. Would be worth it at twice the price. I have mine set up with a 6V DD 6x3 folder and 7 600AE cells. Cheap all they way around, and it has yet to dissapoint.

One thing... If you build one, put 1/4 washout in the tips. Instrustions don't mention this, but it has a nasty tip stall without them. With them it is very gentle.

Just do a search here for skimmer 400.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Apr 16, 2004, 06:58 AM
Harrisburg, PA - USA
Joined May 2001
363 Posts
If you're looking for an ARF, you can't go wrong with a Dymond Flipper or a Dymond Pelican (same plane different covering). 60" wing span, indestructible body (plastic, which Dymond calls nylon). Very easy to fly, glides nicely - I have kept mine up several times for over 35 minutes and once for over 50 minutes.

It flies very well with either a 480 DD 6x3 prop, or a 400 Geared 4:1 with an 11x8 prop. Performs well under both configs. I use the KAN 1050 8 cells, so yours would work. It takes abuse and will last you a long time unless it flies away from you - not hard to do if you get it up to about a 1,000 feet. $99, very easy assembly.

www.dymond-rc.com
Ron D is offline Find More Posts by Ron D
Old Apr 18, 2004, 09:01 PM
Perth, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
680 Posts
Glider

Thanks guys for the info. I'll see what is available here. Skimmer 400 is very cheap but delivery cost to Australia is pretty expensive. I have to check the prices for Pelican and Flipper.

Talking about geared 400 or 480, 2 days ago I flew a new Miss Acro (Scorpio ARTF) for the first time. The motor setup is speed 400 long can, MPJ gearbox 2.3:1 and APC SF 10x7 with 8x600 mah Nicad and 8X1050 mah Kan. On the ground with full throttle I only get just over 2 minutes with 600 mah and 3.5 minutes with Kan pack. I was dissapointed with the test but when I flew the plane I got easy 8 minutes mostly on half throttle or less.

I quess with this kind of setup on a 60" glider I will get few good climbs.
Old Apr 18, 2004, 09:08 PM
Omnipote
Louisville, KY
Joined Apr 2001
665 Posts
I'm real happy with my Kyosho Stratus 1600. I have had it for about 2 years and it has proven very durable and good thermaller.

The stock motor is a lil weak but it will get you up there. It normally costs $119 but can be found for $99 occasionally.

http://www.kyosho.com/airplanes/kyoa1080.html

David
stone_axe is offline Find More Posts by stone_axe
Old Apr 19, 2004, 10:26 AM
Perth, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
680 Posts
Stratus is readily available here but it's outside the speed 400 range that I have in mind. I don't want to have to by new esc,baterry etc.
Old Apr 19, 2004, 12:30 PM
San Dimas, 40 km east of Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2002
1,343 Posts
How about Horizon Hobby ASCENT ?.
It has arrowshaft tail boom like you description.
It is $79 here in the US.
Check out the long thread on Ascent in this forum.

By the way, the link to Dymond R/C should be www.rc-dymond.com
ktoey is offline Find More Posts by ktoey
Old Apr 19, 2004, 08:29 PM
Perth, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
680 Posts
Ascent looks like a nice glider I will check it out if it's available here. Thanks guys.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 11:06 AM
Santiago Pudahuel, Chile
Joined May 2003
1,286 Posts
If your problem is the deliver cost, check out this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...highlight=zhack

JL
JLSalas is offline Find More Posts by JLSalas
Old Apr 20, 2004, 08:23 PM
Perth, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
680 Posts
JL,

The link doesn't work or has been removed?
Old Apr 21, 2004, 12:56 AM
Int'l Slope Observer
Fremont, CA
Joined Oct 2001
1,887 Posts
S400 Won't Work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocano
Stratus is readily available here but it's outside the speed 400 range that I have in mind. I don't want to have to by new esc,baterry etc.
I ran my Kyosho Soarus Sport with a Graupner S400 when the supplied Mabuchi 550 motor got damaged. Admittedly it was much weaker on climbout, but it DID climbout and man did it glide - MUCH better than the Mabuchi 550.

That plane is a nice plane as an e-glider starter, and remember, the S550 motors are cheap also. Don't remove it from your list unless you really hate the design. 2M e-gliders are pretty cool.

Happy Flying ;-)

Webguyjv
webguyjv is offline Find More Posts by webguyjv
Old Apr 21, 2004, 06:17 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
10,002 Posts
If available over there, have a look at the Omega gliders.
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away