SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 29, 2001, 05:49 PM
Joined Aug 2000
2,536 Posts
GWS SF system for vertical perf. or other?

Just getting into slow flight and want to build something that might go vertical.

Any chance of that with GWS gear? Want to shoot for a 10 oz RTF but have no idea what thrust, weight, etc these system provide.

I've figured it out to work for S400 gear, but the plane ends up huge. Want to scale it in half.

Thanks in advance for any specs location, threads, etc.

Ken
hardlock is offline Find More Posts by hardlock
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2001, 06:13 PM
Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2000
2,526 Posts
GWS gear can barely fly an airplane at full throttle at 10 oz, u have to aim at around 4-5 oz.

Jsut get a speed 280 powered IFO MK3, its super slow!
Paul Penney is offline Find More Posts by Paul Penney
Old Dec 29, 2001, 06:36 PM
oakdale, ny, usa
Joined Aug 2000
3,985 Posts
hardlock;

Sad to say that building a light weight model seems to be the secret to vertical performance in slow flyers.

I think what most people look for in an acrobatic slow flyer is a model that flies slow but climbs extremely well from level flight.

Buddy is right, a GWS drive such as in a Lite stick is probably less than 1/2 a speed 400's worth of power. Simply scaling a model in 1/2 will probably not do it.

IMHO speed 400 models are somewhat heavy so you would end up with just a smaller heavy plane.

Back to the intial statement: You need a light weight model with a geared motor, large prop providing trust equal to or greater than the plane's.

The Lil hornet is a good starter acrobatic slow flyer - there is little building. Then there is the ever popular Tiny requiring a bit more assembly.

I have heard good things about the IFO even if it does look like 1/2 of an umbrella

Best of luck
poobs is offline Find More Posts by poobs
Old Dec 29, 2001, 11:55 PM
Joined Aug 2000
2,536 Posts
Buddly6 - I was inspired to design something after seeing the IFO. Thinking about bashing a depron delta or low AR something.

BTW, what model is that in your picture? Looks cool!

Isn't the 280 very inefficient power to weight wise? Only an oz more for a 400. With the 400 & 2x1 w/ 8cells I can get maybe 15-16 oz thrust I figure, Saw that with a 300 "Acro-drive" or some such system at Hobby Lobby, that it get's about 10 oz. Let's see, 5 oz extra thrust for a 1 oz weight penalty....humm.

There must be a hot setup for smaller planes without going brushless I hope.
hardlock is offline Find More Posts by hardlock
Old Dec 30, 2001, 12:01 AM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
Hardlock, the problem isn't the weight of the motor, it's the weight of the batteries. Larger motors need larger batteries and their weight goes up a lot. It's a fun problem to work with. I'm currently working on a design that I'd like to go vertical but the more I work with it, the heavier it seems to get.

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Dec 30, 2001, 01:18 AM
Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2000
2,526 Posts
hardlock,

that plane is the lanier RC shrike .20 with a cobalt FAI 05 motor in it and eight 1000-2000 cells

rips throught the sky!

the only wya you can TRUELY attain vertical adn geatlonmg runs is to get a brushless 020 and put it on a 13 oz plane with 21 oz thrust $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Paul Penney is offline Find More Posts by Paul Penney
Old Dec 30, 2001, 09:47 AM
United States, OH, Dublin
Joined Sep 2001
466 Posts
Well i like the performance of the And_Now its a great fun fly type airplane that you can almost get to hover with the Goldmine Electric johnson 250 motor and an Mpjet 5.1-1 GB and a 10x7 prop and 8cell 700mah nimh maxwell pack. Just check out my site for some video clips of mine flying. Do a search in this forum and you will find alot of info on it. Also the plane is made of Foam, like depron or blu-cor and even meat trays. It's a really great flyer.

just my 2cents

-keith
pohlmeyr is offline Find More Posts by pohlmeyr
Old Dec 30, 2001, 10:53 AM
oakdale, ny, usa
Joined Aug 2000
3,985 Posts
pohlmeyr:

What kind of flight times do you get with the And-Now?

Do your batteries get hot?

What is the finished weight with the batteries.

Where can I watch the videos?

Thanks

Guys :

I guess that until they come up with those ATOMIC batteries all we can do is (light weight & Hi energy density)

A) Build light/strong airframes
B) Use the most efficient motors.
C) Own and try many props and batteries
Old Dec 30, 2001, 05:03 PM
oakdale, ny, usa
Joined Aug 2000
3,985 Posts
Is anybody else having problems watching the videos at: www.kpohlmeyer.com ????

I get this message: " there was a problem loading the file when running the accesibility wizard"

Any ideas?
Old Dec 30, 2001, 05:45 PM
Joined Sep 2001
466 Posts
I am getting around 15+minutes on mine, using the 5.1-1 mpjet GB and the 9x6 APC alowfly prop w/the Jonhson 250 motor (Goldmine 4046 motor) and the 700mah nimh maxwell 8cell pack and throttle management. My batteries do get warm but not hot. My motor gets so hot you can't leave your hand on it, but i have drilled holes in the front of the GB and hope this helps but have not tested it yet, if this does not work i am going to cut up a heatsink from a computer CPU and try it. The total flying weight is 10.3oz RTF w/the 8cell pack.

Now on the Videos.

you need to have Internet Explorer and the latest version of Windows Media Player 7.1 if you are running Windows Xp/windows Me this is standard in these operating systems. If running windows 95/98 you will need to upgrade your windows media player and you can do this by opening the player and then clicking on the help tabp up top, then click check for upgrades (or something similar to this).

2 ways to play them:
WARNING!!! NETSCAPE USERS NEED TO USE INTERNET EXPLORER TO OPEN UP THE FILES!! (And i don't know why yet)

1st
When in Internet explorer go to my webpage and just click on the videos link, then click on the video you want to see, the windows media player should come right up and play the videos.

sometime this doesn't work (complications with the browser opening vidoe files)

2nd
right click on the video you want to see and click "Save target as" then click where you want to save it. Preferably on your desktop so you can find it easy. Once it has quit saving it to your desktop double-click the icon on your desktop and it should run the video.

All the videos are using the codec of .WMV (windows media video) the reason i am using this is because it gives you the best quality for the least amount of space so the 56k users out there wont have to sit at there computers for hours on end waiting to view the video. A 56k user can expect between 15-20 min wait time to veiw the videos where as anybody on DSL or Cable can expect about a 1min to wait. i hope this clears up alot of answers and if anybody is still haveing the problems please let me know and i will find out a different way to compress a few for the less fortunate. But please e-mail me and i will get right back to you.

thanks and i hope you can all view them

-keith
Old Dec 30, 2001, 07:02 PM
oakdale, ny, usa
Joined Aug 2000
3,985 Posts
Hey! that did it! It works fine now

Nice little field pohlmeyr. The plane grabing trees seem to be held at bay just out of reach.

Thank you much for your help...I'm off to watch the rest of the videos.
Old Dec 30, 2001, 09:06 PM
Joined Sep 2001
466 Posts
hey poobs can you explain what made them work for others to read.

thanks
-keith
Old Dec 30, 2001, 09:22 PM
oakdale, ny, usa
Joined Aug 2000
3,985 Posts
About the video problems some of us were having:

It looks like you probably donít have the proper codes installed for the windows media player and when you try to watch the video the player tries and loads the latest files from Microsoft but is probably having problems from there server installing them.

The best thing to do is just upgrade to the latest Windows media player from Microsoft here is the link http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...6redirect%3dno hope this helps.

Works for me

Poobs
Old Dec 30, 2001, 10:16 PM
Joined Jun 2001
1,569 Posts
Here, let's simplify the situation of wanting a plane that "might" go vertical!

IFO with unlimited vertical

I got involved and thought about the design of a 4.8v speed 400 powered IFO, take a look at where we got so far.
e-sailpilot86 is offline Find More Posts by e-sailpilot86