HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2004, 12:21 AM
Detroit Lakes, MN
Joined Aug 2003
580 Posts
How do I go about getting a refund on a USPS money order?

I sent a money order to a person in Montana for some things. At first everything was looking good with daily emails, etc. Then the emails stopped, and I have sent many with no answer. I also sent emails thru ebay (since I had bought from them before with ebay), and through another email source with out any replies.

This morning I called the person after doing a google search and finding thier phone #. The phone was answered by the person's sister, who was just about to hand over the phone to the person then I heard them talking in the background...after hearing the person's name several times as they talked the sister came back on the phone and said that the person doesn't live there and I had the wrong #. After telling her that I had heard thier conversation I was immedietely hung up on. I tried calling several more times with everytime having the phone picked up and then hung up again.

I had sent the money order (over $150) almost two months ago and have an email that says it arrived, I also have the receipt. Today at the PO the clerk said there was nothing they could do. Is the clerk wrong? Do I contact the police department in the persons town about it? On the back of the receipt it says that I can get a refund for "lost" or "stolen" money orders..but the clerk said it wasn't either since the person recieved it... . I guess I would consider that stolen.

I'd appreciate any advice you might have,
Thanks,
Bob
P-51 fan is offline Find More Posts by P-51 fan
Old Apr 15, 2004, 12:43 AM
AerialCamsByDoug@aol.com
Detroit MI
Joined Jul 2003
550 Posts
First, are you ABSOLUTELY positive you got the correct phone number off "google?" Could be there is more than one "John Smith" living in that town, and you may have got the one who didn't sell you the stuff..
If you bought from him through e-bay, you can request your sellers info (including phone#) thru e-bay.
Sadly, I think the postal clerk is correct. You sent the M/O to this person..he didn't steal it. He just failed to fulfill his half of the bargain..BUT, if this is the case, you've got a swell "fraud" case against the guy, what with the e-mails and the cashed M/O.
Call the police in his hometown and see what they have to say about it..
ZRX Doug is offline Find More Posts by ZRX Doug
Old Apr 15, 2004, 02:03 AM
Detroit Lakes, MN
Joined Aug 2003
580 Posts
I do know for a fact that it was the right person...the conversation I overheard proved that, first and last name mentioned and a short discussion about the sale without me saying anything.

I'll probably call the police and see what they say...thanks for the reply.

Bob
P-51 fan is offline Find More Posts by P-51 fan
Old Apr 15, 2004, 10:00 AM
Addicted to R/C
Fort Collins, Colorado
Joined Nov 2003
630 Posts
these might help
http://www.fraud.org/welcome.htm
http://www.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp
http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cid/fc/ifcc/ifcc.htm
newracer is offline Find More Posts by newracer
Old Apr 15, 2004, 10:14 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Send him an email to let him know he's committing mail fraud, and your next step is to contact the FBI, who are happy to prosecute these cases.

Using a MO, which requires a mailing address to send, and ID to cash, is the only way I'll do business. That way, you know for sure who you're selling to.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Apr 15, 2004, 10:18 AM
Endangered User
United States, FL, Casselberry
Joined Jul 2002
1,302 Posts
You might contact the Postal Inspector's office for your area. They might be able to do something for you.

Matt
MattLarson29 is offline Find More Posts by MattLarson29
Old Apr 15, 2004, 09:05 PM
AerialCamsByDoug@aol.com
Detroit MI
Joined Jul 2003
550 Posts
Heh-heh. Small world, I guess..I replied to your thread last night and today I find myself in the same boat you are!
My e-bay seller is claiming he "never got his payment" although USPS shows it was delivered on 4/8. I guess I'll be following my own advice shortly.

Glad I decided to ask for delivery confirmation at the last minute, and also glad I take the time to fill out the whole money order when I send one..this guy has got close to 800 bucks of mine in hand right now..and all I've got is empty pockets and a bunch of guys who want to know when their cameras are gonna be here.
ZRX Doug is offline Find More Posts by ZRX Doug