HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

FAA Special Rule for RC - More Responses Needed!

Everyone one of us need to let our voices be heard.

Splash

More Comments For The Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft Needed

Updated content from Patrick Egan:

Quote from Jim Williams (FAA UASIO Manager) at Delta Ag Show talks about the numbers of comments the FAA thinks they could get for the sUAS NPRM.

“If we receive 50,000 comments, and we believe it’s possible we will, each of those must be given a disposition before we can proceed with writing the regulations,” he noted. “But we plan to meet the 2015 deadline.”

The Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft has been made. This is something we need to take seriously, and we only have until July 25th to comment. The FAA thinks it is possible that they will get 50,000 comments for the sUAS NPRM. There are many of us who enjoy the RC flying hobby. So, let's use 50,000 as a comment goal and hopefully we can preserve our hobby as we know and enjoy it.

Have you left your comment?

Share this story with all of your RC friends so we can get as many comments as possible. Once the FAA gets their toe in the door, they could have adverse effects on all parts of our hobby.

>>Click here to comment now.

Here is a link to the counter.

Discussion

Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:40 AM
Joined May 2013
330 Posts
the counter is frozen.
5 oclock charlie is online now Find More Posts by 5 oclock charlie
Last edited by 5 oclock charlie; Jul 16, 2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:57 AM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jul 2011
817 Posts
Here is a link to the overview page
http://www.regulations.gov/#!documen...2014-0396-0001

And remember, concise - educated answer.....
MaydayMayday is offline Find More Posts by MaydayMayday
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:08 PM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,965 Posts
Submitted. Thanks for the link Mr. Graham.
ronin4740 is offline Find More Posts by ronin4740
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:15 PM
Warder
Joined Feb 2011
11 Posts
They've done this to my comment for a while.

Quote:
Comment Tracking Number Match

This comment was received in Regulations.gov but is not yet posted. Please contact the agency directly for more information.
Wonder if they've put a permanent freeze on new comments so that the new minimum won't be reached.
NiteWolf1138 is offline Find More Posts by NiteWolf1138
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:21 PM
BME 102 For Sale, PM me!
USA, NJ, Milford
Joined Jul 2006
437 Posts
Jim,

was his comment recorded? is there a link anywhere?
barchiola is offline Find More Posts by barchiola
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:26 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
United States, DE, Seaford
Joined Sep 2008
3,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteWolf1138 View Post

Wonder if they've put a permanent freeze on new comments so that the new minimum won't be reached.
It wouldn't surprise me one bit. They seem hell bent on defying Congress and appear to have considered themselves above the law. I hope the whole thing falls flat on it's face and the FAA get's investigated.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Eagle has landed
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:26 PM
Administrator
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2002
11,488 Posts
We did find the exact quote (thanks to Patrick Egan):
"If we receive 50,000 comments, and we believe it’s possible we will, each of those must be given a disposition before we can proceed with writing the regulations,” he noted. “But we plan to meet the 2015 deadline.”

Link to the story.
Jim T. Graham is offline Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:28 PM
Administrator
Joined Mar 2002
11,488 Posts
I'm curious to see if the number increases in the next 24 hours. We now have a record of today's number. I'm anxious to see what the number is on Thursday, July 17th.
Administrator
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:49 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,445 Posts
I seem to recall them saying something about that counter not being accurate and not to worry about it. Still, the community response hasn't been what I would expect. Maybe that's why they cried wolf for years on this... that is known to have the effect of reducing public interest. I know a lot of modelers are tired of hearing about it.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jul 16, 2014, 01:05 PM
BME 102 For Sale, PM me!
USA, NJ, Milford
Joined Jul 2006
437 Posts
The quote "“If we receive 50,000 comments, and we believe it’s possible we will, each of those must be given a disposition before we can proceed with writing the regulations,” he noted. “But we plan to meet the 2015 deadline.” doesn't say they are waiting on 50,000 letters before they'll take notice, it says that regardless of how many they receive they will have to review and process every one.

There's a difference between what you wrote in the first post and what the quote actually indicates. I think that misrepresenting what the FAA's position is will only further erode our future ability as a modeling community to cooperate with the FAA on relevant matters.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 01:09 PM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,982 Posts
Is there anything the international community can do, or would it be counterproductive for non-US nationals to sign/send in their views?
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Old Jul 16, 2014, 01:09 PM
Administrator
Joined Mar 2002
11,488 Posts
This is how it was interpreted by Patrick Egan.
Administrator
Old Jul 16, 2014, 01:58 PM
BME 102 For Sale, PM me!
USA, NJ, Milford
Joined Jul 2006
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. Graham View Post
This is how it was interpreted by Patrick Egan.
well, there you go.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 02:06 PM
United States, LA, Calhoun
Joined Feb 2007
99 Posts
I made a comment on the regulations.gov website and this is the response I received.

Your comment will be viewable on Regulations.gov after the agency has reviewed it, which may be an indefinite amount of time. Use your tracking number to find out the status of your comment.

Thought it was kinda funny
Stratos268 is offline Find More Posts by Stratos268