SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 29, 2001, 12:12 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Län, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,776 Posts
How fast can you go?

Hi

I´ve got a friend, who is at the darkside, he always says that IC is faster than E!

IC pylon F3B(?!) flyes 10sek faster than F5B...

but is the F5B faster the first laps!!?? anyone clocked it just after start at topspeed?? 350km/h?? 400km/h?

or are there any other faster electric powerd machines??
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2001, 12:22 PM
Pylon freak
Rijnsburg,the Netherlands
Joined Jun 2000
376 Posts
Maximum speed of a F3D(IC pylon) is I believe about 325 km/h.
I believe the maximum speed of a F5D is about 250 km/h.

Paul Ravensbergen
Paulus is offline Find More Posts by Paulus
Old Dec 29, 2001, 02:03 PM
United States, MI, Commerce Charter Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,309 Posts
FAI glow models from what I understand are currently going just over 200mph, I think F5D's are in the 170mph range as an average. Most glow events aren't that fast though-Q500 and Q40 in the US are a lot closer to the F5D speeds. In fact, an F5D pilot would do really well at a top Q500 contest. Things have changed in the last year or so in F5D with respect to motors. They are all much faster-a leap year if you will.

There's some growing interest in a new electric class that uses F3D type airframes with big motors, props, cells and perfomance to match. Don't have a clue what performance would be, but it's possible to build such an airplane lighter than the glow counterpart.

A friend talked to one of the top German brushless makers at WC2000 about a motor to test this idea out. He seemed to have great confidence that he could turn the glow prop as fast or faster than the glow motors could. I haven't heard any more of the project though.

For the moment, Glow motors are faster and don't slow down as they run.

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline Find More Posts by Dave Campbell
Old Dec 29, 2001, 02:27 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,776 Posts
okey...I knew that F5B planes slows down towards the end of the race....but how quick are they in the beginning of the race??

last time I spoke to worldchampion in F3B, he said that F5B was horrifying fast the first lap or so....

are there anything faster than F5B? (electric)

I realy want electric to be faster Hehehe

ofcause you can´t (at the moment) beat a turbine powerd Hotspot....but you can always teese the pilot for flying diesel powerd planes
Last edited by henke; Dec 29, 2001 at 02:31 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2001, 02:35 PM
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Oct 1999
3,866 Posts
First lap of F5D is quite slow until they get up on the step and the prop is unstalled. Then you get eight or so laps at full speed and then it slows down a bit at the end.
DaveSawers is offline Find More Posts by DaveSawers
Old Dec 29, 2001, 02:58 PM
jlk
Lifetime Beginner
Chicago & Tucson
Joined Sep 2001
638 Posts
I could be wrong but I think the FAI speed record for a model is held by a glider diving into a speed trap! No motor necessary.

Jordan
jlk is offline Find More Posts by jlk
Old Dec 29, 2001, 03:23 PM
Tel-Aviv,Israel
Joined Apr 2001
457 Posts
the speed record is indeed held by a glider the problem now with breaking it is that the rules changed and now it is a serious head ache to try to break the record even if your plane can do it easily...( something about 2 clocks agreeing down to 1/50 of a sec )

Avi
avie is offline Find More Posts by avie
Old Dec 29, 2001, 05:18 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,776 Posts
glider!! guess they are more E powerd then IC powerd :-)

at least 4x50mah
Old Dec 29, 2001, 09:35 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,011 Posts
Henket,
Before we start F5D is pylon, F5B is electric glider. FAI designations are sometimes confusing.
Most of the others have made good points already. One thing to add is that a couple years ago we set up some speed traps for fun to see how fast our ships really went. The top speed was had by a previous generation F5B (motor glider) running a direct drive motor and pitched up prop. I believe the fastest run was somewhere in the neighborhood of 220mph (368km/h). This is on 27 cells and pulling around 90-100amps. How fast you want to go depends on how much money you want to spend. It's not really an IC or Electric debate, just economics and raw power

Oh, and that glider speed record is just over 300mph. 308mph or something like that.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Troy; Dec 29, 2001 at 09:38 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2001, 12:50 AM
301MPH!
San Diego, California, United States
Joined Jan 2001
655 Posts
Troy,

How fast does your F5D plane go?
speedster is offline Find More Posts by speedster
Old Dec 30, 2001, 01:46 AM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,011 Posts
Good question

I honestly don't have any concrete numbers on my latest plane. I will say that previous planes I've flown have been clocked at 160mph+ but that was a couple years ago. Like Dave said earlier I'd put it around 170 but can easily attain more with a dive. I need to find a brave soul to radar it coming at them. If I put a higher pitch prop on as opposed to the standard lower racing pitch then I'm sure we'd see some interesting numbers.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2001, 02:14 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,307 Posts
Troy, if you were going for ultimate high speeds on your F5D (not on course), would you go so far as to drop the diameter of the prop a fraction of an inch so that the RPM would increase thereby increasing ultimate pitch speed? How about prop pitch, would you get more airframe MPH with an oversquare prop than a 1/1 ratio (5 X 6 oversquare vs. 5.125 X 5.125 1/1)?
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Dec 30, 2001, 03:29 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,759 Posts
IC is usually still faster and has better duration, but don't we all know about the great advantages of electric power?
All world records can be found at http://records.fai.org/models/
Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is online now Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Last edited by Jurgen Heilig; Dec 30, 2001 at 03:31 AM.