SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 14, 2004, 02:15 PM
regina canada
Joined Feb 2004
55 Posts
is it bad to run a brushed motor in reverse?

Hey

I'm setting up a zagi like delta wing flyer, useing a masterairscrew speed 400 and a gunther push on prop, as a pusher @ 8.4v on nimh 1150mah.

I any wondering if running the engine in reverse has a bad effect on it? Will it burn out faster?

Trent
tailwind76 is offline Find More Posts by tailwind76
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2004, 03:24 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
No, it makes no difference to the motor. As a matter of fact, since they are AC motors, they can easily be switched from forward to reverse by switching any of the 3 motor wires. If you run a gearbox you have to reverse the motor direction anyway.

SOme Controllers allow you to adjust the timing if you really want to tweak it for forward or reverse running, but the controllers are set in the middle from the factory.

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Apr 14, 2004, 03:26 PM
Just fly the darn wing!!!
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
Brushed motors do not have 3 controller wires but only two.On top of that they are DC motors.....you are talking about brushless, which was not really the question.

Also, yes, it can be bad depending how the motor is "timed". A neutral timed motor does not care at all since the brushes are not shaped in any way. A forward timed motor will have a much (much is relative of course) faster brushwear.

Dennis
ScYcS is offline Find More Posts by ScYcS
Old Apr 14, 2004, 03:34 PM
regina canada
Joined Feb 2004
55 Posts
how does a person find out how the motor is timed?

Could i just measure the foward and reverse rpm's with a tach?

Is it possable to a just the timming on BRUSHED motor to retard it to gain the kv (rpm's) lost by running in reverse?

Trent
tailwind76 is offline Find More Posts by tailwind76
Old Apr 14, 2004, 03:59 PM
Just fly the darn wing!!!
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
The answer to both is yes.....yes, you can measure with a tach and there are ways to retime the motor as well. There are several threads on how to do this. I've never done it myself...
ScYcS is offline Find More Posts by ScYcS
Old Apr 14, 2004, 04:40 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
there is one other issue with cheaper motor especially, and to an extent with all motors. The brushes have to bed in again if you reverse direction, so expect some arcs and sparks and fizzles till they wear snug. Try not to put too much through them when they do.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1