HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2004, 08:48 AM
Dubai U.A.E
Joined Oct 2003
867 Posts
Fuel Filters

I bought a couple of new fuel filters yesterday from the local hobby store. I was about to fit one to my RG1 but before I did I opened the filter up just for a ‘look see’. Whoa good job I did because half a machine shop was left in there …. tiny aluminum chips that would have screwed up the engine big time . Moral; don’t put anything on your bike before you’ve given it the once over with a magnifying glass.

Kevin@rcbike.com
vaz2107 is offline Find More Posts by vaz2107
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2004, 12:40 AM
I'll be back..bwap bwaap
Seattle
Joined Oct 2003
450 Posts
Do we even need them?

Thanks for the heads up Kevin.
I was at a LHS last weekend and 2 guys were arguing over fuel filters and if they are even necessary. One guys says, "make sure you put in clean fuel and never leave your tank lid open or exposed and you don't need a filter. They only restrict the flow which reduces performance." The other guy says, "Yeah but that one time you get something in there and run the engine...either goodbye engine or your going to do some irreversable damage."
I would have to say that I agree wtih both of them but for what I paid for my engine and the fact they don't make them anymore...I'll keep my fuel filter thank you very much.
What say you, nitro guys?
Drillah is offline Find More Posts by Drillah
Old Apr 21, 2004, 01:42 AM
Wetherby, UK
Joined Dec 2003
1,135 Posts
Wel, I've always fitted filters, most race cars already have them fitted in tank, but I always fit an extra one. Not come across any that restrict the flow much either. On the other hand, it's not like shavings or bits of grit will ever get past the needle valve, it'll likely block up first. A good quality, oiled air filter is perhaps more important.

John
nuovaic is offline Find More Posts by nuovaic