Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 06, 2001, 08:05 PM
Arlington,VA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,862 Posts
Make your own DIN plug for Futaba TX!

I put this in another thread, and got to thinking maybe it deserved its own....

Here's how I did it:
1)I got 5-6 tacs (the nail type, not the big flat-head ones) of about one inch long.

2) Make sure the pointed end fits snuggly, but not to tight into one of the TX socket holes.

3)Cut 1/4" or so of the head end off them.

4)Round the pointed end a little bit.

5)Now make the metal cylinder that fits into the round slot encasing the pins of the plug. I used a piece of Aluminium flashing (a can will work) to make a small cylinder that is about 5/8" tall.

6) Slide the cylinder into the TX port in the round slot.

7) Cut a peice of paper the exact diameter of the cylinder. Slide it inside to the bottom of the cylinder against the TX port.

8) Insert the pins into the TX socket, peircing the paper.

9)Make sure the pin holes and cylinder walls are snug.

10)Mix a batch of fast-set Epoxy. Pour the Epoxy into the cylinder, filling it to about 1/4 inch or so, being sure to leave the top of the pins exposed.

9)Let the Epoxy set.

10) Pull the new plug and clean it up. The paper seals the epoxy in (it is rather thick) not allowing it to leak into the TX port. Be sure to roughen up the inside of the aluminum and nails....

Done.
The finished product is quite strong and will withstand the heat of solder. I made these in my own shop for several FMS cables. My next project will be a trainer cord.

pullin-gs is offline Find More Posts by pullin-gs
to remove ads between posts