HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by helinor, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2014, 08:49 AM
Canada, BC, Castlegar
Joined May 2014
135 Posts
450 for FUN ?

Dear Sir :

I am building up a 450 but am finding it entails a bit more work than FUN . Yeah , I have a blast doing the build . I am having various problems setting up my bird though and perhaps I could ask some advice :

My bird : Same frame kit as yours .
3S 2200mA bat(s)
4x25Amp ESC
2822 Emax motors twisting 10x5 carbon blades
APM2.6 with the external compass option
MinimOSD (not working yet , dammit !)
Walkera Devo7 FPV radio

This thing is extremely TWITCHY to fly . 1/16th inch on the stix and it moves , a lot ! APM guys say to leave it in the learn mode rather than use dual rates . If it survives that long to learn anything , I would be amazed .

I have my compass mounted 45 degrees of the forward axis and use the "Missio Planner" software to compensate but the error usually gets worse . Although I would prefer to fly this bird manually , the OPTION of having the GPS / Google Earth planning is one of the main goals here .

My basic concern is in the "dummying it down" so that I can fly it ! Please refer to my blog posting on this .

I would gladly offer my first born male child in exchange of any advice . Note that he has issues with mowing the lawns and chores in general .

Thanx for any advice . Regards : RickC_RCAV8R
RickC_RCAV8R is offline Find More Posts by RickC_RCAV8R
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Magnetite !
Old Jul 13, 2014, 12:59 PM
says hello from Norway
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Mar 2013
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC_RCAV8R View Post
Dear Sir :

I am building up a 450 but am finding it entails a bit more work than FUN . Yeah , I have a blast doing the build . I am having various problems setting up my bird though and perhaps I could ask some advice :

My bird : Same frame kit as yours .
3S 2200mA bat(s)
4x25Amp ESC
2822 Emax motors twisting 10x5 carbon blades
APM2.6 with the external compass option
MinimOSD (not working yet , dammit !)
Walkera Devo7 FPV radio

This thing is extremely TWITCHY to fly . 1/16th inch on the stix and it moves , a lot ! APM guys say to leave it in the learn mode rather than use dual rates . If it survives that long to learn anything , I would be amazed .

I have my compass mounted 45 degrees of the forward axis and use the "Missio Planner" software to compensate but the error usually gets worse . Although I would prefer to fly this bird manually , the OPTION of having the GPS / Google Earth planning is one of the main goals here .

My basic concern is in the "dummying it down" so that I can fly it ! Please refer to my blog posting on this .

I would gladly offer my first born male child in exchange of any advice . Note that he has issues with mowing the lawns and chores in general .

Thanx for any advice . Regards : RickC_RCAV8R
Hi

Sorry to hear about your problems with your build. Looking at your blog tells me that yours is very different from my build.
I think I go much more basic than you on my build as I use the KK2 board on mine and dont have all that extra weight of LG and double batteries.
About the twitchy feeling my only advise would be to use some expo on your radio. I also have programmed in dual rates. On the KK2 I can adjust the stick scaling to help on this issue too. Would expect the APM also has this feature..... I dont know anything about the APM, sorry. My AP rig is a F450 with Naza lite...

Hope you can find a way around your problems.

Ole
helinor is online now Find More Posts by helinor
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2014, 06:47 AM
says hello from Norway
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Mar 2013
369 Posts
An update on my F450 build...

Switched out the standard top plate for a bottom plate as I did on my other F450 for GoPro use.

Also got hold of some FPV stuff and mounted that on too. The camera is this one

http://www.banggood.com/FPV-1-Or-3-I...WI0hoCKGLw_wcB

and the VTX is this one

http://www.banggood.com/FPV-5_8G-200...1-p-73198.html

Tested the cam on a small monitor and the pic it good I think. The FOV is a bit small. Compared it to my GoPro set to narrow FOV.

Next will be to make some kind of ground station. I already have the VTX. Will make some kind of DIY goggles for now...

Some pics attached
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:18 AM
says hello from Norway
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Mar 2013
369 Posts
Another update on this build.

Decided to put on my GoPro on this and use that for FPV-cam also because I had some problems with the camera I got from BG...

Didn't want to much prop in view so tried to get it a bit forward. Used a mount from Walkera QR350 and mounted it up front with cable ties. Got too much jello in pic with that solution even though I tried to isolate it with some rubber sheet...

Then I made a mount with rubber balls to try. Got rid of most of the shaking so I will leave it with that for now, maybe get some stiffer rubber balls as it is mounted vertically.
With the GoPro in front I had to make some kind of plate in the rear to move the battery further back to get CoG right. I had some CF plates that I cut to fit and mounted them on. It gets a bit of "Alien" look now but still with the X-config of the frame. It flies OK but now the concept of a fun flyer is a bit gone....
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:54 PM
says hello from Norway
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Mar 2013
369 Posts
Just some more pics....
RCG Plus Member