SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 13, 2004, 04:10 PM
Orlando Int, Florida, United States
Joined Dec 2003
1,196 Posts
Quick Stick (AKA Slow Stick)

I thought I would show off my latest toy. Its a Slow Stick with a Wattage Live Wing. It has a Himaxx 2015-4100, CC25, 3cell 2100, and 11x7 prop. The plane is a blast with the new wing and will do great aerobatics. I reinforced both the wing and aelirons with carbon fiber and used large control horns to minimize flutter. The aelirons are huge and had turn them down to 75% on my transmitter until I get better with it.

I've been flying my E-starter for a couple months and think the Quick Stick is a better aeliron trainer. Plus, an easy and cheap upgrade to do if you have a Slow Stick.
Mac8 is offline Find More Posts by Mac8
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2004, 04:27 PM
I'm big in Japan
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2004
439 Posts
You sir, are the man!

How is it better than the E-Starter though? Is it just more cost effective, easier to fly, responsive, or what is the logic? And would the 'stock' equipment be way too slow for this lower lift wing? Thanks!
Ducman69 is offline Find More Posts by Ducman69
Old Apr 13, 2004, 04:53 PM
looking for my lawndart er plane
Joined Oct 2003
184 Posts
Is the wing avaliable seperately from the kit?

UltimaSE
UltimaSE is offline Find More Posts by UltimaSE
Old Apr 13, 2004, 05:21 PM
Joined Dec 2003
1,196 Posts
The E-starter is a great aileron trainer but here's a few reasons I like this better:

1. More crash resistant
2. Easy transition
3. Easier to fly and more fun(just my opinion)
4. Very easy to add original wing for slow easy relaxed flying
5. Add more throw in the aelirons and it be an outstanding aerobatic plane. Mine are set a 75%
6. Cost effective. Wing cost $20 and is made of Depron.

Mac8
Old Apr 14, 2004, 04:43 AM
looking for my lawndart er plane
Joined Oct 2003
184 Posts
Can you take some close up pictures of the servo/rubber band attachment area? And what's your CG point with this new wing?

Think I'll have to give hobby people a call tomarrow and see if they have any wings in stock...

Thanks,
UltimaSE
UltimaSE is offline Find More Posts by UltimaSE
Old Apr 14, 2004, 08:08 AM
Dr. John
Sudbury, Canada
Joined Mar 2004
498 Posts
himaxx with cc25

Hi nice qickstick mod. I am having trouble running my Himaxx motor with the CC25 at 11.1 volts and 3 cells, I would appreciate any help I think I may have to reprogram the firm ware. the combo works well with 2 cells.
johnprov is offline Find More Posts by johnprov
Old Apr 14, 2004, 08:55 AM
Detroit Lakes, MN
Joined Aug 2003
580 Posts
That wing looks great on there...I might have to do something like that...sweet!

johnprov...I'm also running a Himaxx/cc25 with 3 cells...can you tell us more about your set-up-gearing/which batteries...where do you have the LVC set? NOT saying this is the thing to do, but mine would cut out at full-throttle...I set the LVC under 9V and am running it until I notice a power decrease, my batteries still show over 10V when I land.

I think what is probably happening is the motor is pulling the batteries under 9V under load...which is OK to a point (2.5V for short bursts I believe), might be worth a try, just be careful or you'll be buying new batteries....

Bob
P-51 fan is offline Find More Posts by P-51 fan
Old Apr 14, 2004, 05:50 PM
Dr. John
Sudbury, Canada
Joined Mar 2004
498 Posts
Thanks for the reply I have it set a 7.2v lvc, its on a gws 300C 5.33 and I have tried a bunch of different settings to no avail, setup works great with jeti 18p ESC . I think i will give 9V another try. Does your quick stick wiegh in at about 17-18 oz, if so must be balistic at full throttle.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 09:07 PM
Joined Dec 2003
1,196 Posts
Guys,

I'll try to answer all the questions. The CG took a few times to get right but I have it set at 3". I used heavy duty control horns and large wire to keep the ailerons under control. Overkill I know but there is no flutter in the ailerons at all now. I used a 3" strip of blue Dow on the top center of the wing top help with support and provide a mounting spot for the servo. I also took a few pics of the wing.

The CC25 may be part of a bad batch. I had a bad one that would stutter on start up. Give CC a call. Their service is outstanding. They sent me a new CC25 2nd day mail with a return envelope for the bad one.

Enjoy,
Old Apr 14, 2004, 09:54 PM
Registered plane abuser
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Feb 2004
359 Posts
Coooool Mac8, where did you buy the wing? Can you just buy the wing? I like, I like a lot.
Marty H. is online now Find More Posts by Marty H.
Old Apr 15, 2004, 06:04 AM
Dr. John
Sudbury, Canada
Joined Mar 2004
498 Posts
Can you buy just the wing.

Yes you can buy just the wing , I bought a replacement wing for my crazy Max because I liked How tough that wing is, can't say the same about wattage fuse's.

http://www.globalhobby.com/public/wa...ery/128435.asp
Old Apr 15, 2004, 06:08 PM
Placerville CA
Joined Dec 2003
32 Posts
johnprov,

Just what I was looking for. I ordered 2 moments ago.

Thanks!
jlambers is offline Find More Posts by jlambers
Old Apr 20, 2004, 11:35 AM
slow but inefficient
Riverhead NY USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,097 Posts
Hi Mac8 -

How did you reinforce the wing with carbon fiber? I can see the CF in the ailerons, but would like to know how you reinforced the wing itself. And how did you join the halves of the wing - any spar? How did you color it red?

Thanks.

ronw
Ron Williams is offline Find More Posts by Ron Williams
Old Apr 20, 2004, 11:44 AM
Balsa!!!
Singapore
Joined Sep 2003
1,539 Posts
Eh heh heh! Smart! I like your wing! It's a Live Wire wing... hmm I can't get that here
csisfun is offline Find More Posts by csisfun
Old Apr 20, 2004, 03:19 PM
Joined Dec 2003
1,196 Posts
Guys,

You have to open the front of the wing to gain access to the foam spar. I removed the plastic covering and used a razor blade to cut the factory tape on the front of the wing. The back of the wing appeared to be epoxied so I didn't mess with that. The wing will open up about 2-3 inches which will allow you go get an Exacto knife in there. I cut a V-groove in the foam spar and glued in a piece of .98 Carbon Fiber. When glueing the CF spar, use a piece of tape at the bottom where the two halves meet to keep the wing together and to stop it from twisting. Getting them centered perfectly is hard and another pair of hands would come in handy. Next, I used packing tape where the halves meet. I installed a 3" strip of Blue Dow on the top center section of the wing for a servo mounting spot and to help reinforce the wing.

I used Lowes American Tradition enamal paint on the wing.

I should of taken pics during the build. If I find someone local that wants to do the wing modication, I'll take lots of pics during the build.