HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2001, 09:38 PM
Louisville, Ky
Joined Dec 2001
6 Posts
I got an SS Pro for X-mas and now I have a few questions.

Well I finally got an R/C Plane. So far Ive had 5 flights and 4 1/2 succseful landings with out an instructor!(unbelievable huh?). Well I say 4 1/2 b/c my scooter and the press box at the football field got a lil friendly. The prop broke but that was it and after i put a new one on I flew again. Well enough story tellin....I want longer flight times. People have recemended the RS battery pack but will the stock charger work? Ive flown both DD and geared swingin a 9x6 prop and i really didnt notice a difference. Why not? Also my battery isnt getting warm while charging or flying...well a little but not much. Is anything wrong?
Thanx alot for your help!!
RollTide69 is offline Find More Posts by RollTide69
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2001, 01:00 PM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,075 Posts
We have using the RS1600 Nimh battries for our Scooters. I bought from RS thier 'universal' charger for 30 bucks. Has worked great. It's not a field charger however. We are getting from 1o-12 minutes of full power fun from the battries. (3:1 gearing and 9X6). We have bought 4.
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Old Dec 29, 2001, 01:04 PM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,075 Posts
Oh, sorry I didn't say this first!!! Congrats on your new plane. Sounds like you are doing really well. I crashed the first 2 times with the stock setup.

Old Dec 29, 2001, 05:20 PM
Wexford, PA
Joined Mar 2001
522 Posts
The batteries getting warm during flying and charging is normal. They will get warm, but should not get hot. The stock charger would not be a good charger for the RS 1600 mah NiMH batteries as it is not a peak charger. NiMH batteries should be charged at 1C or less and do not like to be over charged. The stock charger is a 1.2A charger with a 30 minute timer. Theoretically if you could determine the remaining charge in the batteries you could charge them with that charger by time, but it would be far from ideal (as I said you don't want to over charge them). Like rclark I use the RS universal charger and charge them at home (it takes about 2 hours) and it works will.

I got my first Scooter (now have two) last Christmas and also learned without an instructor, flew mine into the bleachers at the soccer field so know how it goes. I crashed a lot when I started, so sounds like you're doing better then I did. I'm still flying the original one so it's durable (repairable) enough that you can teach yourself with it. Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it.

Jim
Jim Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Jim Taylor
Old Dec 29, 2001, 11:31 PM
Louisville, Ky
Joined Dec 2001
6 Posts
Jim, you must have misunderstood me. The battery doesnt get warm...well it does while charging but barely noticable. Once it runs out after flying it isnt at all.
RollTide69 is offline Find More Posts by RollTide69
Old Dec 30, 2001, 12:19 AM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,075 Posts
First, if the battery is getting 'warm' at end of charge cycle, then it is charged. While charging the battery stays cool. So that's good sign that the charger is working! If the battery gets hot -- thats bad because you are over charging the battery which reduces battery life.

Normally the battery will warm up during flight. How cold of weather are you flying in? My RS1600s are just warm to the touch (not hot by no means) when flying in low temps (-4F to 32F). I keep them in my inside coat pocket before flying because batteries don't like to discharge very well when cold. When flying its not a problem as they generate internal heat.
Old Dec 30, 2001, 04:44 PM
Wexford, PA
Joined Mar 2001
522 Posts
I haven't flown the stock 7 cell NiCad in quite some time, but it didn't get very warm even in summer so it probable wouldn't get warm this time of year. If you go to the 8 cell RS 1600 NMHI it will get warm. So will the motor. Not a problem this time of year, but in summer the motor will get hot enough to melt the hot glue holding it in (don't ask me how I know). That's why I have two. In summer I would alternate flying them to let the motor cool. Even with cooling vents and the half spoon air scoop the motor would get pretty hot after 15 minutes.

Jim
Jim Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Jim Taylor
Old Dec 30, 2001, 11:51 PM
Motors beat engines!
Milwaukee Wisconsin, United States
Joined Feb 2001
4,564 Posts
The stock charger will not work for the rs batts for one additional reason.

The stock charger is for 7 cells, the rs pak is 8 cells.

It would actually prob charge it up eventually, but we're talking hours and hours here.

I also bought a radio shack charger, but I used the fast field charger meant for larger rc car paks. This one can charge up to 2,5 amps/hr and is nimh batt compatible. Mine was $35.

I used mine to charge 3 rs packs in rotation, and as it could charge a batt in 30 minutes, and flights were 11 minutes, by showing up at the field with 3 charged batts, I could fly for 40 minutes out of the first hour, and 20 minutes per hour after that.

I got a lot of stick time on that plane which greatly smoothed my trasition to my second plane, a tumblewatt, which was an eye opener on performance coming form the skyscooter.

Have fun!
DeaninMilwaukee is offline Find More Posts by DeaninMilwaukee