HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2004, 12:51 PM
F3X
Costa Mesa, CA USA
Joined Jun 2001
1,822 Posts
USA VRQ at Pt Fermin!

We are asking for local cooperation to have the site for the weekend of May 1,2

The Viking Race is the equivalent of the World Champs or Olympics for FAI slope racing. It has a long history going back almost 20 years. The USA is still relativity new to the sport.

We need to select a USA team of 9 of the fastest F3F pilots to represent the USA at the Viking Race.

Fermin is the BEST site possible to hold the qualifier. It offers the most consistent conditions for F3F racing. But you locals already know this.

What we need is the exclusive use of the slope for 2 days, if the conditions are on then we could get the qualifier finished in 1 day but we need the slope.

I know Fermin is not registered with the city as a R/C flying site and we would not stir up the local government. If we had the weekend, I assume a park use permit would help.

So what do you say? Are you willing to give up a weekend of piping so we can put on the race? How about entering or helping?

Note: Nothing is official. We are just asking at the moment for your possible cooperation.
F3X is offline Find More Posts by F3X
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2004, 01:16 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,148 Posts
Sounds like a "frigin" great idea! I'm willing to come and help, i'll even fly if you want some extra fodder. Unfortunatley I can't make the Viking race, although one of these days I plan to.

Hopefully with a months advance notice the locals can spread the word that the slope will be "out of order" for a weekend. I'm sure 99% of them will be happy to let the pilots that will be representing the USA in the Viking cup have the slope for a couple of days.

So put the lead sleds down for a day and bring your butts out to fermin to help the USA kick some international butt

TFLG
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Apr 12, 2004, 01:40 PM
Tuskegee Airmen; My Heros
Check the Bloq
Joined May 2002
1,494 Posts
Sure, just schedule a start time, lunch break and a shut down time for the event, to pacify said Locals.
There is no way I will sit by on a booming day and not get some, even if just a little bit. If I raced I would of course jump in and spank everyones butt, but I dont, so I will come down and watch the "professionals" do there thing.
Sound fair?
Ray
RayH is offline Find More Posts by RayH
Last edited by RayH; Apr 12, 2004 at 01:52 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 01:47 PM
Free as a bird now.
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,603 Posts
Hopefully the famous dude who flys electric with power on in 40 mph Fermin lift wont show up and insist on flying.

I wish I could be there to watch too. I wanna listen to the knees knocking when those guys try to land those $1500 planes at Fermin!
Brian Courtice is online now Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old Apr 12, 2004, 02:06 PM
F3X
Costa Mesa, CA USA
Joined Jun 2001
1,822 Posts
Well we are certainly not "professionals" in any way, we fly a lot of different types of models and race man on man as well as 1/2 pipe and even some foam. We just choose to put our skills up on the clock against everyone else now and then for braggin' rights but mostly for fun. This event is once every two years. We certainly could share the air if the site had enough slope face but we both need the same airspace at Fermin.

Landing there is not an issue, those that have trouble there have trouble everywhere else too.

We have the same responses from the Scale guys at Torrey, "I will never give up a day of flying" and this is usually from the guys that live there and could fly there 365 days a year.

It's up to the locals, I assume most won't have a real problem but the ones that will show up "Just to make a point" will ruin the event for us so that is why I am asking.
F3X is offline Find More Posts by F3X
Old Apr 12, 2004, 02:10 PM
Long Beach
Joined Jan 2004
1,420 Posts
Im with Ray.....I wouldnt mind as long as I get my fix even if its only 10-15min, if that

...GoUSA!!!!!
Henry V is offline Find More Posts by Henry V
Old Apr 12, 2004, 02:16 PM
Certified Slopehead
San Diego, CA.
Joined Jan 2001
2,268 Posts
You guys wouldn't give up a single, or possibly two days of flying, no questions asked, at your LOCAL slope to be able to pick a team to represent the USA? Seriously?
tenover is offline Find More Posts by tenover
Old Apr 12, 2004, 02:19 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,673 Posts
Tom-
I'll make Ray help me make the templates for the foam he wants me to cut that day. That outta keep him at bay for a little while anyway.

Target

PS. Besides, Ray and Henry, you guys can fly at Bluff Cove that day.(?)
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Last edited by target; Apr 12, 2004 at 02:22 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 02:22 PM
Check the Bloq
Joined May 2002
1,494 Posts
So what is this vrq thing then. If you guys arent the "Best of the Best", or are you just being humble?

"We have the same responses from the Scale guys at Torrey, "I will never give up a day of flying" and this is usually from the guys that live there and could fly there 365 days a year"

This one always comes from the guys that dont live here! If the wind blew good 365 days a year one weekend would not be an issue. Surely you can preplan your event with a start time, break and end time. The other Race Group that came through did with no problems as I recall, wasnt that you as well?

I love to watch the races personally, especially the big unlimited plane that Brian and Joe fly, they are some of the most fastest and effecient airplanes I have ever seen. But some of those guys out right suck, real bad. Making me wish I had the money to invest in those glass ships. I doubt I could whoop up on the top Dawgs, but I know I would not take last. But put my lead sled down for a whole weekend, and the wind is booming..............( ) fill in the blank.

What about PSS Glass ship man on man..... I got you all covered in that case and event.

Ray
Old Apr 12, 2004, 02:28 PM
Check the Bloq
Joined May 2002
1,494 Posts
You guys wouldn't give up a single, or possibly two days of flying, no questions asked, at your LOCAL slope to be able to pick a team to represent the USA? Seriously?

and you call yourself a "certified slopehead" tsk tsk tsk.......... the answer is no. (but only because I am feeling argumentative at the moment) And this event, is going to be the selection process for the USA of non pros? Not the Best of the Best?
Heck I can tell you the team right now. The same guys that were on the last team and the last team before that.
Ray
Old Apr 12, 2004, 02:30 PM
Check the Bloq
Joined May 2002
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target
Tom-
I'll make Ray help me make the templates for the foam he wants me to cut that day. That outta keep him at bay for a little while anyway.

Target

PS. Besides, Ray and Henry, you guys can fly at Bluff Cove that day.(?)

Bluff sucks.........and that is just plain mean spirited of you Target, because it would so work to keep me off the hill.

Ray
Old Apr 12, 2004, 02:34 PM
Certified Slopehead
San Diego, CA.
Joined Jan 2001
2,268 Posts
I wanted to argue, but it's not my post, I'm not in the races, and I don't fly Fermin, so I'm going to bow out now once and for all. Good luck with the negotiations.
tenover is offline Find More Posts by tenover
Old Apr 12, 2004, 03:02 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2003
2,507 Posts
From my point of view as an outsider ( German who lives in Canada), but knows a little bit the szene:

Pretty sad, that locals don't see the big ger) picture.

and comes down to personal issues: ....."Making me wish I had the money to invest in those glass ships. I doubt I could whoop up on the top Dawgs, but I know I would not take last..."

Cheers
Thomas
wakumann is offline Find More Posts by wakumann
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 12, 2004, 03:15 PM
Check the Bloq
Joined May 2002
1,494 Posts
OK Thomas, being the local that I am, and still feeling fiesty, what's the big picture, what are you talking about.
I already said come down and hold the race, I already said I like to watch and have no problem with watching, but I dont want to see a whole weekend of good lift gone to the racers. So please by all means, open my eyes to the big ger picture that I am missing here.
Ray

PS I do not speak for every Fermin local, but I do speak with more give and take than you will get from some of the other guys that fly at Fermin all the time, that you can trust and bank on.
Last edited by RayH; Apr 12, 2004 at 03:21 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 03:20 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,673 Posts
Come on Ray, this is the best chance that I'll have to watch the "big guns" fly F3F without having to drive 100 miles, and I HAVE to drive 75 miles each way to work, so...cant you just get in a couple good days of building, and spend the evenings with the significant other??
I'll cut your cores, to keep you busy.
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target