HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2004, 09:01 PM
Albany, GA
Joined Jun 2002
2,356 Posts
Info needed on the Rutan Quickie

I want to do a small model of Burt Rutan's Quickie but, before i start i want to learn some stuff about it. First off, does the canard control pitch or Roll? Looks like the canard has larger control surfaces than the wing. Also where would you go about setting the CG on a plane like this? The 3 view i have does not have a CG shown. Any info on this design would be very helpful. Oh yeah one last thing. should both the wing and Canard be set at the same angle of incidence? From the 3 view its hard to tell if there the same or not.

Mike
www.aerolockmodels.com
Mike Hall is offline Find More Posts by Mike Hall
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2004, 09:25 PM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
The most authoritative source would be Rutan's company, Scaled Composites. You could contact them at:
http://www.scaled.com/contact_us/contact_us.htm
They are no longer in the home built business but they may be willing to provide you with information about previous products or designs.

As far as the design criteria for tandem wing configurations like decalage and CG location, you should get a copy of "The Basics of R/C Model Aircraft Design" by A.G. Lennon which goes into the subject in depth in Chapter 22. It is available through Model Airplane News. It will even provide answers to the questions that you might not know that you need to ask.
Ollie is offline Find More Posts by Ollie
Last edited by Ollie; Apr 11, 2004 at 09:29 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 06:06 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Boskoop
Joined Mar 2001
1,150 Posts
Mike,
I have a RCM&E plan (Nexus) of a semi-scale Quicky. Wing root chord is 200 mm for both. Stagger is 470 mm. CG is shown on plan at 275 mm from front wing LE. Motor is at 0/0 deg. = reference line. Front wing at + 2 deg., rear wing at 0 deg. incidence angle.

Here's one i saw at a Dutch fly-in some years ago:
max z is offline Find More Posts by max z
Last edited by max z; Apr 12, 2004 at 07:20 AM. Reason: wrong stagger info corrected
Old Apr 12, 2004, 03:47 PM
How fast can balsa go?
Chilliwack B.C.
Joined Jan 2002
678 Posts
Mike, it seems to me that the ailerons were on the rear wing and the elevators are on the front wing.
rogwinger is offline Find More Posts by rogwinger
Old Apr 12, 2004, 04:09 PM
Albany, GA
Joined Jun 2002
2,356 Posts
Roger, I thought the same but the ailerons are tiny if there on the back wing. Also there right at the fuselage and not on the wing tips. The Canard control surface are full span so i thought those might be the ailerons and thats why i was asking about this. Not much info to be found online about a Quickie you know. LOL This is just a project for me to have some fun with so as long as i get it to fly, turn and control the pitch im good. LOL

Mike
www.aerolockmodels.com
Old Apr 12, 2004, 04:56 PM
How fast can balsa go?
Chilliwack B.C.
Joined Jan 2002
678 Posts
I just dug up a drawing from my R/C Modeller illustrated plans guide. There is a model in there designed by Seigried Glockner powered with an .049. It shows the ailerons on the rear wing. Yes they are small on his too. Also it shows the c of g. I know it's not the most accurate but I tried to show it's location on this picture. Just be very carefull and test fly over very tall grass or wheat field
rogwinger is offline Find More Posts by rogwinger
Old Apr 12, 2004, 04:59 PM
Albany, GA
Joined Jun 2002
2,356 Posts
Im not sure tall grass would help with this model. LOL I think im going to make it 1/4 scale.

Mike
www.aerolockmodels.com
Old Apr 14, 2004, 11:11 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Hey Mike, You might try this link: http://www.djaerotech.com/dj_askjd/d...ns/canard.html for some interesting reading

Here's the calculator I used on my Long EZ, and it worked well.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Apr 14, 2004, 11:14 PM
Albany, GA
Joined Jun 2002
2,356 Posts
Thanks Gene, That should take some of the guess work out of it. By the way did you get your pitts kit in OK?

Mike
www.aerolockmodels.com
Old Apr 15, 2004, 08:23 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Yes, It seems to be fine. I should get started this weekend.. A couple other distractions got started during shipping

The Quickie could be a cool one. I really like the Long EZ I hacked out. I'm thinking of doing a bigger one...
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Apr 15, 2004, 03:09 PM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined Apr 2000
245 Posts
Maybe someone has the 7/81 issue of RCM or you can go to the AMA electronic archives and view the May 1978 issue of Model Aviation Magazine.
kjkish is offline Find More Posts by kjkish
Old Apr 15, 2004, 09:34 PM
Fumble Fingers
Alaska
Joined Jan 2004
93 Posts
Long-EZ kit

Some assembly required!

That is what all the full size Long builders used to say.
pipedope is offline Find More Posts by pipedope
Old Apr 16, 2004, 05:21 AM
Tel-Aviv,Israel
Joined Apr 2001
457 Posts
Hi,Mike!
I just looked at the 1/4 scale plans I have sitting waiting for to build it... if you are interested, they are from MAN.

the CG is 2.25" from the TE of the front wing (behind the TE..). the front wing is at +3 deg, and the rear at -1.5 deg. I personally think the difference is too much,but... and yes, the ailerons are only have span,on the inside...

on a side note, the plans are 1/4 scale, only 50" span, and are for a 0.40 engine.

if you start building it before me (most likely, as I still have a half built catalina,mustang and a windex to complete ) post some pics and info

good luck,
Avi
avie is offline Find More Posts by avie