HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2001, 11:06 AM
Cincinnati, OH
Joined May 2000
135 Posts
F-15 intake question?

I'm designing a twin MF 480 and have a question regarding intake. I usually keep the intake around 90% of the FSA but I am confused with the F-15.
If I make a square intake @ 90% FSA (~1 11/16 X 2 3/4in ) then cut it at an angle to simulate the F-15 intake (when viewed from the side) the perimiter intake area is huge (9+sq/in each)?
Is this correct? Or do I need to fiqure the 90% FSA in the angled intake?

Also the ducts are very long .... consider this, would one recommend something other than 90% FSA for intake? More... less?

Thanks in advance and I'll get pics of the project up soon.
YARDC is offline Find More Posts by YARDC
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2001, 01:00 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,547 Posts
Re: F-15 intake question?

Quote:
Originally posted by YARDC
I'm designing a twin MF 480 and have a question regarding intake. I usually keep the intake around 90% of the FSA but I am confused with the F-15...
I ran into this dilemma while designing the Flanker. It's got the same sort of intake.

I decided that the oncoming air wouldn't see the angle of the intake, only the straight-on dimensions, so I designed it as if the inlet was square, not angled.

I couldn't say for sure, but if the intake is long-ish, then add 10% to the inlet size.

Dan
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
Old Dec 28, 2001, 01:15 PM
Lance Armstrong- 7 times!
Madison, Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2001
1,335 Posts
Are there any good websites or threads that explain ducting, inlets, etc? I'm new to EDF, and any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Hans
flybike is offline Find More Posts by flybike
Old Dec 28, 2001, 01:24 PM
Cincinnati, OH
Joined May 2000
135 Posts
Thanks Dan ... this is what I thought. Going the other route (making them 90% FSA with angle) would make the inlets smaller than scale which didn't make sence to me.

Hans ... do a search on inlets or ducting on this site. There is a lot of good info out there. I just could'nt find much on square ducting with the angle.

Regards
YARDC is offline Find More Posts by YARDC
Old Dec 29, 2001, 02:19 AM
I'll fly anything...
United States, CA, Palm Springs
Joined Aug 2001
502 Posts
Re: Re: F-15 intake question?

Quote:
Originally posted by DanSavage

I ran into this dilemma while designing the Flanker. It's got the same sort of intake.

I decided that the oncoming air wouldn't see the angle of the intake, only the straight-on dimensions, so I designed it as if the inlet was square, not angled.

I couldn't say for sure, but if the intake is long-ish, then add 10% to the inlet size.

Dan

Dan,

You are exactly correct... when measuring inlet area you do need to consider the cross section that the incoming air will see. You can get real technical and figure out the angle of attack the plane will fly at and figure that in, but usually the front view drawing of the plane is close enough.
GlasairAllen is offline Find More Posts by GlasairAllen