SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 11, 2004, 11:41 AM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Flying with trash in Florida

Quick report from Florida... I am on a trip and Miami Mike was gracious enough to invite me to fly with his crowd at two slope locations on Sat.. I did not have room to bring a plane w/ me but had many offers to fly others planes.(something I generally don't do as a rule). Egras 14 basically wouldn't take no for an answer so I did end up getting some stick time after all, thanks man...Mike offered up his bandit but I could just see the motherload of all eggbeaters ending up in an airframe failure and my name being mud here (not that it already isn't) so I respectufully declined.. The first location we flew at was a very nice park with a small slope.. It was a foggy morning, low clouds and very little wind so only the light stuff was doing any good but this is a good group of guys and a good location, I hope they get to keep it.. No bickering or ego problems with this crowd..This was a pleasant change from what I'm used to at my club in PA....Then we went to the BIG landfill in Broward county... This is when I realized how hard core these guys are. The landfill is active and you must fight your way up it in your vehicle avoiding bulldozers, semi tractor trailers , huge rats,(I mean ruts), and rebar sticking up..Upon reaching the summit, you are greeted by giant methane gas vent tubes and more bulldozers.. The indigents are busy picking through the garbage and I was shocked and appaulled when Miami Mike told me that as a form of entertainment they buzz the trash pickers!... .. Unfortunately, the wind was not very strong but some good flying was still to be had and I was happy I made the 2 hour trip over from Naples. If I hadn't fried myself in the sun the previous two days, I would have stayed longer but I had to cut it short because of the sunburn. There are some good pilots in this group and everyone was friendly and relaxed, I had a great time.
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2004, 07:18 AM
Product Manager at Hobbico
United States
Joined May 2000
5,156 Posts
there's an electric-only flyin at rcworld in orlando next weekend tic if you're still in the state
GWRIGHT is offline Find More Posts by GWRIGHT
Old Apr 12, 2004, 07:28 AM
K4UAV
Miami, FL
Joined Jul 2003
1,749 Posts
May you please share the name of the first park you went to? I have been searching for places to fly electrics with little success. Thank you.
dalbert02 is offline Find More Posts by dalbert02
Old Apr 12, 2004, 08:46 AM
Frequent Flyer
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Nov 2001
757 Posts
tic, "Flying with trash in Florida?" I though you'd be talking about Zagis!
Nowell York is offline Find More Posts by Nowell York
Old Apr 12, 2004, 03:35 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
I believe the name of the first park is "vista view" however I was told they were flying that day as a trial run, supervised by park officials. Everyone displayed excellent manners and I think the park should allow sloping there, I'm really rooting for you guys.... Unfortunately I'm back in PA now where it's in the 40's and raining, however getting out of Naples this morning was absolutely miserable, We get rain here in PA.. Florida gets deluged, uprooted palm trees, 70mph straight line winds, etc. etc...
Old Apr 12, 2004, 03:49 PM
Riverview, FL
Joined Dec 2002
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
Florida gets deluged, uprooted palm trees, 70mph straight line winds, etc. etc...
pefect weather for a zagi!
nose_first is offline Find More Posts by nose_first
Old Apr 12, 2004, 09:05 PM
Profiled Interfractionalist
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,990 Posts
"excellent manners"

Of course, no 'trash pickers'
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old Apr 13, 2004, 11:18 AM
Pompano Hill Flyer
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Apr 2003
412 Posts
Hey tic finally found this thread.I hope your arm is ok from all the twisting.Conditions didn't get much better after you had to go,the wind switched 180 and picked up but we can't get to the East side so it was a bust.Hope you can make it back when we have better winds.Then you can fly that zagi you were drooling over
Amos
egras14 is offline Find More Posts by egras14
Old Apr 13, 2004, 11:38 AM
Fort Lauderdale. FL
Joined Aug 2003
37 Posts
Tic
This is RAZ82. Give a revue of the DVD I gave you. After you get a chance to view it of course. Some of the slope guys liked it see:
R/C Groups Discussion > Airplanes - Sailplanes > Slope
2004 Alpine Soaring Adventure
RAZ82 is offline Find More Posts by RAZ82
Old Apr 13, 2004, 07:27 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,485 Posts
All of us Pompano Hill Flyers enjoyed Tic's visit very much, and I was especially proud to have my Bandit eggbeaters critiqued by none other than the inventor himself! We took some pictures of the group but I'm still waiting for copies. I'll post them here when I get them. I hope Tic can bring a plane or two (and maybe even Soholingo) along on his next visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalbert02
May you please share the name of the first park you went to?
I started the Vista View Slope Soaring Society project, and we have well over 50 members now. On April 10, Tic attended the first of two trial flights granted to us by Broward County park management, and we have a second one scheduled for April 24, from 7:00 to 10:00 AM.

This coming Saturday, April 17, will be the second trial flight of the Power Para Gators paraglider club, who managed to reopen the possiblity of getting permission to fly for both our groups after Broward County turned us down last November.

Vista View Park is located on a closed landfill about four miles south of Markham Park near the Griffin Road exit of I-75. There's a map at the bottom of our home page at http://www.vvsss.com. Anyone who's interested can contact me by private message or email me at miamimike@vvsss.com.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Apr 13, 2004, 07:39 PM
Fayetteville, GA
Joined Oct 2000
3,663 Posts
Hi Mike

I've flown at Markham Park before....

Good luck with the slope soaring project...I would consider joining as an out of town member....I travel to Plantation all the time.

Regards,

Jeff
Jeff Meyers is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Meyers
Old Apr 14, 2004, 01:05 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
I did view the DVD.. Man, I wished I was on that trip!.. where was Dieter?.. That was a great effort and even the g/f watched it with me the entire way through... Only complaint was the plethora of zagis and clones dirtying up the sky...
Old Apr 15, 2004, 05:36 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,485 Posts
Here's the photo I promised. Pictured are me, egras14, Tic, and RAZ82 at our flying site at the west end of the Pompano landfill.

Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Apr 15, 2004, 05:48 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
erm.. is tic holding a Zagi?
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Apr 15, 2004, 06:32 PM
Fight On!
San Salvador, El Salvador
Joined May 2001
605 Posts
Hey Miami Mike,

I'm going to be in Miami in July, can I buzz the trash pickers with you guys?
mario alvarez is offline Find More Posts by mario alvarez