HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2001, 02:48 PM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
Anybody flying coroplast or"SPAD" planes here?

Anybody flying coroplast or SPAD planes here? www.spadtothebone.com It seems that you could build a pretty lightweight fun fly type plane out of this stuff. Please let me know what you've come up with---Rob
slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by slowflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2001, 06:41 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Rob,
I got the Mugi plans off of their site and ordered Coroplast from Harbor Sales. The stuff is intriging and I am impressed at what they are building and the stuff is cheap! The cost of a 4'x 8'sheet is $10.10 delivered by UPS. I figure three too four planes out of it. My cardboard Mini flies well so I'm looking forward to getting the coroplast.
Don
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Sep 05, 2001, 07:04 PM
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Nov 2000
549 Posts
I've built a mugi, its great for the slope, very tough, cheap and easy to built, if you can use 2mm correx they fly well on sp400.
Grant
schoey is offline Find More Posts by schoey
Old Sep 05, 2001, 07:59 PM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
I was thinking about building a Derringer. I didn't see the Mugi listed, could you tell me where on the site it is located?---Rob
Old Sep 05, 2001, 08:08 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
http://www.mugi.co.uk/

I should have posted it on here for you. They even show a speed 400 conversion. It is an excellent site.
Don
Old Sep 05, 2001, 08:16 PM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,302 Posts
I couldn't find any 2mm stuff here locally, so I ended building one from 4mm.
http://www.geocities.com/pfaudette/eplane/homer.html
Pierre Audette is offline Find More Posts by Pierre Audette
Old Sep 05, 2001, 08:38 PM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
That's kinda scary, it looks just like the one I just scratch built out of balsa!! Do you know what your finished weight was? I'm using a foam wing and looking for some speed. My total weight is 32 ozs auw, with the geared mag mayhem setup installed.

The Mugi looks very interesting, I think I'll build one up. Thanks for all the comments guys!!---Rob
Old Sep 05, 2001, 10:22 PM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,296 Posts
OMG, it does look just like your plane Rob! You sure you didn't see this one before and just copy it?
GregG is online now Find More Posts by GregG
Old Sep 05, 2001, 10:34 PM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,302 Posts
I'm not sure how heavy it is. All I have is a kitchen scale that goes up to 16 oz. But it's quite likely more than 32 oz. The power system alone is pretty heavy, but it flies quite slowly. The Jedelsky wing is a bit flimsy, but it generates enough lift.

BTW, I used the 'canadian' gutter pipe, which is thinner than the US stuff. I drilled a number of 3/4" holes through the sides as well to lighten it some more.

I've been playing around with different prop sizes, but the 12x8 gives me the best duration on 8 cells. I will be trying it soon on 10 cells and partial throttle to see if I can extend the flight time.
Pierre Audette is offline Find More Posts by Pierre Audette
Old Sep 05, 2001, 10:35 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
http://www.harborsales.net/fullsheet...bcategoryID=12

This is the source that had 2mm Coroplast in stock. They ship it UPS and cut the piece down with the flutes running side to side or up and down. As I stated earlier, it cost me $10.10 delivered. they had Black, white, translucent white and yellow in stock this Tuesday when I ordered. They also claimed to ship that day, it's Thurs and it hasn't reached here yet. We do live in the sticks though....
Don
Old Sep 06, 2001, 02:37 PM
Clifton, Va., USA
Joined Sep 2000
632 Posts
I built a SPAD Derringer in two evenings running on a speed 480 geared 3.3:1 and an 8x800AR pack. The model flies surprisingly well--very groovy--considering that it's built out of a yardstick, 2 and 4 mm Corroplast, lightweight Candian gutter pipe, a couple of screws and some CA. I used a Dave Brown .20 enging mount to couple the motor/gearbox to the fuselage.

I'm going to try mine soon with a geared Endo. I'm hoping to get a little better performance on the top end and better duration.

These Corro planes don't build real light--heck, they're designed for open class glow combat--but with a Magnetic Mayhem, Endo or something similar, you can get pretty good performance for a low-buck package.

I'm looking at the Derringer as my "beater-upper" winter flyer. Great fun at the field when it's cold and only the crazies care to take to the air. (Hey, pass me the battery pack, my hands are freezing!)
Brian Nixon is offline Find More Posts by Brian Nixon
Old Sep 06, 2001, 03:11 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Brian,
You got me to wondering if a person could warm up on a cold day by putting a just flowen pack in their front pants pocket....

Don
Old Sep 06, 2001, 03:36 PM
Clifton, Va., USA
Joined Sep 2000
632 Posts
Don, the flightline at our club in the winter looks like a scene from a Charles Dickens novel--guys wearing scarves, knit hats, fur-lined hooded coats--all clutching their transmitters with gloves that have the finger holes cut out. Yeah, baby, this is what the hobby is all about!
Brian Nixon is offline Find More Posts by Brian Nixon