Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2004, 11:36 AM
Balsa!!!
Singapore
Joined Sep 2003
1,539 Posts
Pulling it off? So easily? Isn't that quite weak?

I'd use epoxy instead.

ALSO: how do you put the micro control horns into the control surfaces?
csisfun is offline Find More Posts by csisfun
Last edited by csisfun; Apr 11, 2004 at 11:40 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 11:37 AM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Hunter
And the beat goes on.... Thanks Martin.
BTW I have posted pics of the plastic slide ons and thrust mod on my website under Present Hanger.
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Apr 11, 2004, 12:18 PM
Seattle/Tacoma Sea/Tac, Washington, United States
Joined Mar 2004
48 Posts
Bent Dihedral Brace

I got my buddy box late last week and got an opportunity to let the kids take my prized slow stick for a test fly over the weekend. It was kind of windy, but I have been having a lot of fun playing stringless kite so we went out to take a couple of trips around the back pasture.
The 9 year old did quite a bit of porpoiseing but finally was able to do a few figure eights up high, the 5 year old decided that the best and only thing the Slow Stick did was loop, one after the other…With some wind and the continuous looping I could see that there might be an issue, then the 19 year old asked me if it could only loop one direction, hmm, I don’t know, let’s find out. An outside loop later I decided it was time to bring it down and asses the damage.
I pulled the wing braces off and took a picture to show the difference from stock angle to where it ended up, it also managed to crack the wing right in the center, but nothing a little epoxy could not fix. I now have a new set of brass braces and a little extra stranded packing tape along with a liberal dose of epoxy in the center of the wing.

Brad
Flying Money Pit

Killobite is offline Find More Posts by Killobite
Old Apr 11, 2004, 12:26 PM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
No actually, you guys are using hot glue all of the time. If you attach the GWS horn like normal I put a good drop where the two plastic joints meet. Not something I would want to have in the long run, but for a few test flights it holds just fine for a plane this light.
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Apr 11, 2004, 02:04 PM
Northen Indiana
Joined Feb 2004
201 Posts
Engine

I see some of the s/s with the motor mounted below the fuse and some above the fuse what difference does it make?
Jerico
jerico is offline Find More Posts by jerico
Old Apr 11, 2004, 02:09 PM
United States of Texas
Joined Dec 2001
455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerico
I see some of the s/s with the motor mounted below the fuse and some above the fuse what difference does it make?
Jerico
Mount it above. The s/s tends to nose up when you apply full throtle and the high thrust line you get by mounting the motor on top helps.

Allons, Randy
wallasan10 is offline Find More Posts by wallasan10
Old Apr 11, 2004, 02:38 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Also More prop clearence is a plus!!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Apr 11, 2004, 09:57 PM
Magna, UT
Joined Jan 2004
211 Posts
Anyone seen Aeropenguin latley?
I need to order some of those brass dihedral braces.
Had my first wing-fold incident.
Anyone have much luck with repairing the wing and flight thereafter?
Pretty much just cracked it down the center.
Of course, lost a prop and motor!
Nothing like having it happen about 45 ft in the air.. OUCH...
Renegade-I is offline Find More Posts by Renegade-I
Old Apr 11, 2004, 10:06 PM
United States of Texas
Joined Dec 2001
455 Posts
try this

Make from 1/32nd or 1/16th plywood as shown in the photo, smear 5 min epoxy on one side and hold in place till set. Color with red maker.

Allons, Randy
Old Apr 11, 2004, 10:10 PM
Magna, UT
Joined Jan 2004
211 Posts
I like that!! How was the weight diff?
Have you ever had to do a wing repair after the folding?
Trying to decide if it is worth fixing.. >shrugs<
Still a Newbie.
Renegade-I is offline Find More Posts by Renegade-I
Old Apr 11, 2004, 10:14 PM
Seattle/Tacoma Sea/Tac, Washington, United States
Joined Mar 2004
48 Posts
Help for an eclectically challenged individual

Ok, time to get educated. I thought I kinda understood how all this electric stuff worked, and I mean kinda.. I wanted to support the LHS so I scooted on down there and picked myself up a Thunder Power 3S 1900 battery, I just love my TP 2S 1900 and thought it would be good to start getting ready for my brushless setup.
I am running the stock 300 with the D gearbox that it came with and figure I have a good 20 hours on the motor so it is probably getting close to end of life, why not speed things up with more voltage.
Here I am, climbing like there is no tomorrow when the motor seems to sputter, hmm I think, then nothing, bubkiss, nada, I am chasing the darn thing on foot. “Landed” over at the neighbors, luckily their fence slowed it down A little tape on the horizontal stabilizer and it is back in business.
The only thing I can figure out is I was pulling to many amps for my speed controller, it is the GWS300, rated at 8 normal 15 peak.. Anyone have any thoughts?
My 7.4 volt has never caused any probs, but this 11.1 sure has.
The other question is should I go Nipi, or something else for the brushless setup, and what size prop/gearbox if not a Nipi?

Brad
The Flying Money Pit
Killobite is offline Find More Posts by Killobite
Old Apr 11, 2004, 11:01 PM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Renegade, the LHS can order a complete set of wings for this plane for $12. I saw every kind of damage that could be possible to these wings in he past 2 days, almost all of them were fixed with epoxy. I think the guys are just bending their own brass tubing for those wing braces rather than buying them premade. If this helps any as well, a lot of the guys had Himax 2025 motors in thier planes and stock gear box. I forget what prop they were using though.

I adjusted my control surfaces today, and now I have a much better sweep. I also topped off my LiPo pack for a flight tommorow.
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Apr 11, 2004, 11:03 PM
United States of Texas
Joined Dec 2001
455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade-I
I like that!! How was the weight diff?
Have you ever had to do a wing repair after the folding?
Trying to decide if it is worth fixing.. >shrugs<
Still a Newbie.
Its light enough, I used only epoxy on the fiberglass rods, the actual wing joint and the brace and thats it, the wing is done. None of that tape stuff for me.
Never folded a wing so I never had one to repair, but , I'm sure this will work.
If your wing is already broken yuo dont have a lot to loose. I wouldnt even bother replaceing the alum. joiner.

Allons, Randy
Old Apr 12, 2004, 01:56 AM
Joined Feb 2004
578 Posts
hi Guys,

Does anyone know how to fasion a new front wing mount Saddle,
The black plastic part that hold the front part of the wing to the fuse w/ rubber band.

I broke mine into a million pieces when i did a power dive into the mud.

and no one is carrying stock in the world!
sigh...
any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Ken
kennyc is offline Find More Posts by kennyc
Closed Thread