HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2004, 10:29 PM
STeve B in NC
North Carolina, USA
Joined Sep 2003
7,756 Posts
Thinking about Lipo's

I've been surfing again. Rainy day here in NC and the forum has been down all day.
Looking at some Thunder power 8000mAh Lipo cells, 2s4p. 7.4V. $160 USD a pop. Also the Schulze Isl 6-330d charger for NiMH, NiCD, and Lipos. Anybody use these? Can I use the batteries in the Novak B/L bikes? Would I need a BEC for the H/S bike?

STeve B in NC
mollycbr123 is offline Find More Posts by mollycbr123
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2004, 12:59 AM
USA, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Jan 2004
299 Posts
steve,
you might be better of with nmh,I have to store cells in fire proof metal can.out of 4 packs I have 1 left.2 melted down and one exploded into flames,about 5 ft high from the ground,you have to watch them every minute.I intentionally charged a bad pack at wrong cell count,expecting some smoke and melting,instead the only thing I can liken it to is throwing gasoline on an already lit fire.and when they go bad you have to poke them and put them in salt water for 8hrs then throw away.best part is when they burn fumes are toxic.tried an 8000mah it was too big for bike.triton is the charger I use,all the top end chargers use 12v dc current,wich means you also have to get voltage converter for another 80 bucks.I would only use lipos for my heli now,with great care.
Ron
oron7 is offline Find More Posts by oron7
Old Apr 11, 2004, 10:27 AM
STeve B in NC
North Carolina, USA
Joined Sep 2003
7,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oron7
steve,
you might be better of with nmh,I have to store cells in fire proof metal can.out of 4 packs I have 1 left.2 melted down and one exploded into flames,about 5 ft high from the ground,you have to watch them every minute.I intentionally charged a bad pack at wrong cell count,expecting some smoke and melting,instead the only thing I can liken it to is throwing gasoline on an already lit fire.and when they go bad you have to poke them and put them in salt water for 8hrs then throw away.best part is when they burn fumes are toxic.tried an 8000mah it was too big for bike.triton is the charger I use,all the top end chargers use 12v dc current,wich means you also have to get voltage converter for another 80 bucks.I would only use lipos for my heli now,with great care.
Ron
Thanks Ron. So you are not using the lipo's in your bike anymore? I've shyed away from them precisely for the reasons you mentioned--fire, and cost. Maybe they will get safer with time.

What caused the meltdowns? Any idea? Were they in the bikes or the heli, or charging mishaps?

Steve B (please pass the 3600 NiMH's) in NC
mollycbr123 is offline Find More Posts by mollycbr123
Old Apr 11, 2004, 12:11 PM
USA, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Jan 2004
299 Posts
steve,
1 lipo melted in ricky bike,enclosed and drawing too many amps,1 other was damaged in crash,and the third one I ran too long and ruined,thats the one I mischarged to see how it caught fire,so they all failed in bikes 1 being my fault for over running.there's suppose to be some second generation lipos out,go to electric heli section in website,it's on a thread there where to get them.you have to be very careful with these batterys all the time.between lipos and gp 3300nmh ,the nmh are close in power,for the money
Ron
oron7 is offline Find More Posts by oron7
Old Apr 12, 2004, 06:48 PM
Joined Apr 2003
499 Posts
I use the Schulze charger. No problems with my lipo packs in spite of a bad wreck in the XXX-T that crushed a couple of cells slightly. My Schulze is a pretty smart charger though, and a lot of the newer esc's will cut off before pack damage can occur. Stll nervous in the bike though with my driving skills.
305997 is offline Find More Posts by 305997
Old Apr 13, 2004, 03:27 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,919 Posts
Guys,

LiPo is super cool !

Got & used the ETEC 1200 2S2P (7.4Vx2400mAh) (8C capable).
I still have to test my 8 Konion (10$ each) 3.7Vx1100mAh (20C capable) (I can put in my TT 6 of them for a 240g Pack (going to do a 11.1Vx2200mAh 44Amp capable! + I will make a 7.4Vx1100mAh for my HOR)

The ETEC is super, got for just 36$, they push more then my 7x600mAh NiCd on my airplane (+15% in propeller RPM), and weight less, with 4 x flying time !!!

I used in parallel the two ETEC 7.4V (4800mAh) in my TT, I got more push then my GP3300 and less weight !

Made some big crashes with my TT (BTW the Cell position in the TT is protected for 99.9% of crashes) ... and broke in two a wing in my airplane with a non soft landing with LiPo on ... not a single problem.

Allways checked after a crash if the LiPo get or start to get hot (as well after a run) ... they are always cold !

Advatage of LiPo:

- More power & less weight (everybody know it)
- Cell are never get worm even not a littl ! (after a 1C charge or after a 5C discharge)
- Cell could stay parked without loosing almost no mAh ! A NiCd after 1 week is fully disharged, a NiMh lose lot of power after 24 hours .. the LiPo after 1 week are still in the same power as left !

So LiPo is defenetly the future & present ...

My XPeak 3 charger work throw a manual selectiong of the number of cells ... but if the manual selection is wrong, it recognize immediatly the mistake and avoid overcharging the pack !!! It is a 70$ charger and charge nicely all cells Pb , NiCd, MiMh, LiPo LiIo (max 3Amp charge & 0.5Amp Discharge)

Looking forward for some better shaped LiPo (why they don't make a SubC LiPo ?) it will be far more easy to make packs with 7.4V or 11.1V.

e_lm_70

P.S: LiPo are present in mobile phone since years without any real problem ... they are also in toy like the zPlane (19$ RC full set airplane) so if people get the right brands they are 100% safe !!!
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Apr 13, 2004, 06:34 AM
Joined Apr 2003
499 Posts
I use the Etecs too except I rebuilt the packs to have 4 cells in parallel connected in series to 4 more cells in parallel so I could balance the pack on occassion. I also have Thunder Power packs that are sub-C width.
305997 is offline Find More Posts by 305997
Old Apr 13, 2004, 08:13 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 305997
I also have Thunder Power packs that are sub-C width.
As far as I know the TP LiPo are not in a cylinder SubC shape ... they have somehow similar width of 2xSubC ... but still not compatible with all RC items that expect to use SubC packs.

TP are also damned costy ... got my 2S2P ETech 1200 for just 36$ ... unluckily this pack is no more available in the eShop that I got it !

Anybody had tested the cheap LiPo cells (3-5$ each 600-1800mAh) available in RcMart ?

e_lm_70
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70