HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RCvertt, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 05:41 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,187 Posts
Discussion
Chupacabra sighting !!!

Es no bueno!
Squirrels only come in light brown around my neighborhood and this thing doesn't look brown to me. With those razor sharp teeth and large black oil filled eyes, it's clear that this is the infamous Chupacabra that I saw today. Looks like it's just waiting to pounce on people that walk under it so I didn't get too close.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Jun 24, 2014 at 01:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2014, 07:53 PM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
If you believe everything you hear. That's a nice looking squirrel. I had never seen a white one either. Funny thing, I got a white cat hanging out on the back most days. I have been leaving water for it as the poor cat looks like it's been through hell. He still runs away, but at least I know he's drinking the water, or maybe the other animals and birds are. Who knows as he still runs away, so I'm trying to see if he will stick around, but as soon as he hears me step on the dry leaves, bam! He's gone, so I guess I should sweep those up. At least he doesn't run away when he sees me any more.
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Malware?
Old Jun 23, 2014, 08:42 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,928 Posts
Dude, does that thing have two mouths?

It looks as if the teeth are sprouting out below the nose with a second set of lips(?) just below them.

Time to come clean. It's Photoshopped, right?
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Call it a "review preview."
Old Jun 23, 2014, 09:26 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,187 Posts
efx- Naw but legends make for good marshmallow roasting. Saw it running across the road and thought it was a regular one that got into a pile of concrete dust or something from a nearby construction site. Looked a little closer and sure enough it's a white one. That's a great cat story you have. Always good to hear when someone goes out of their way to help an animal in need. I can picture the leaves issue scarring it away. I'm the type that would probably use his FPV gear to set up a camera at its water dish location. Then a servo or two to move the lids off of a food dish and probably another one to wave a stick if I saw an Unwelcomed freeloader arrive. It's a good sign that it doesn't run away from you anymore. Sounds like you are doing good work with that cat so keep it up.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Jun 23, 2014, 09:34 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,928 Posts
Ditto regarding the cat. Congrats on passing the 4000-post mark!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:08 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,187 Posts
DismayingObservati- I hope it doesn't have two mouths. Didn't notice the teeth on this thing until I saw the images I took. They look a little larger and rather sharp for what I would expect.

I'm guessing it might have had something in its mouth that makes them visible? I was thinking it might be a berry it was snacking on but it might be a genetic thing also. Difficult to tell for sure by the photo. After I saw the teeth on this thing in the images I took, I went back out to try and get a closer shot but it was gone.

Ha. I wish those teeth were photoshopped. The only photoshop is the first two images were cropped and then I used "levels" to get slightly better contrast between the light and dark part of the image. The third image is slightly cropped and the last two images are straight from the camera with nothing done to them.

Makes me think twice about trying to hand feed these little creatures. Maybe just the white ones have the Stephen King "IT" teeth?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Jun 23, 2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:11 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DismayingObservation View Post
... Congrats on passing the 4000-post mark!
Man, I spend too much time on this forum. Thanks for pointing that out to me
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:00 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,928 Posts
Glad to be of service.

On closer examination, it looks almost as if the poor critter has an injury which is exposing the teeth just above the mouth. You can see the closed mouth just below the lower row of teeth.

He is, needless to say, no less freaky.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2014, 02:39 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,187 Posts
Hadn't thought of it as being an injury. Good point though. He was walking and jumping around like a normal squirrel so he didn't appear to be in pain which is good.

That mouth is a strange one. Didn't see that his mouth might be closed before. Good catch. There is almost an optical illusion going on with the head. Thought that closed mouth was just a chin shadow.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Jun 24, 2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:15 AM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,928 Posts
He's probably harmless, but those teeth...whoa...cleft palate, maybe?

Speaking of feeding squirrels, if you ever visit the south rim of the Grand Canyon, the area has loads of Kaibab squirrels which are native to the area. There is a related but separate species on the north rim. Cute little things which look like chipmunks. Signs say not to feed them, but no one told the squirrels. If you squat down near one, it'll likely jump up on your lap for a treat and eat it while sitting there.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2014, 04:19 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,187 Posts
It seemed like a friendly little guy. Just looking for stuff to eat and trying to stay clear of all the cats in the neighborhood. Thanks for the Grand Canyon tip. I'll be sure to pack an extra bag of nuts for the squirrels there next time I get a chance to go. Might as well not go on such a trip if you don't try to feed the squirrels. It would go against the campers code.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2014, 11:18 PM
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
1,631 Posts
You guys must not live in a place with allot of forest areas.....rare they are , but not as much as you think.....there are white ones, red ones,brown, black, gray etc etc etc......run around here like kids.

Well until Mr Owl and or Mr Hawk shows up and they disappear for awhile.
HGhost is offline Find More Posts by HGhost
Old Jun 30, 2014, 02:04 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,187 Posts
Nope, wish I was near a forest. This is all big city area for me. My first time seeing a white one and hope mister Owl or Hawk don't show up to take him away. More likely a cat might do that here though. Got plenty of house cats around. Post some pictures of the little critters if you get a chance.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2014, 03:11 PM
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
1,631 Posts
Squirrels

HGhost is offline Find More Posts by HGhost
Old Jul 02, 2014, 03:13 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,187 Posts
Great picts, thanks for posting those. The top one is what we have around here. Seen a few that look similar to the bottom type when I have gone camping in the mountains. Never seen a black one before.
RCG Plus Member