HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Apr 08, 2004, 06:08 AM
SlopeHead
Lisboa, Portugal
Joined Jan 2004
2,882 Posts
Multiplex EasyStar - thread 4

At the request of our esteemed moderator, here begins the EasyStar thread number 4.
Let's hope RC Groups doesn't throw us all out for using our threads so fast.

Just for reference, thread 3 lasted from March 11 to April 8, a little less than a month!

And here is a Portuguese potato for our moderator!

O

Here Tim, now you can hug it!

And my thanks also to Don for linking this thread to the old one!

The old one being, of course, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=208883
Or "Multiplex EasyStar thread - Part 3!"
jcosta is offline Find More Posts by jcosta
Last edited by jcosta; Apr 08, 2004 at 07:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2004, 09:17 AM
Australia, NSW, Mona Vale
Joined May 2002
5,450 Posts
WELL here are the Motocalc results (for what they are worth.)

At least an intergalactic bulldozer didn't come bursting out of my screen.

The results of prediction programs are only as good as the information offered ( You know--- "Garbage in--Garbage out".)

Therefore I have entered a stock standard EZ* with the supplied Permax S400 and 2S2P E-tec Li Poly battery pack. This pack produces the same voltage as a 6 cell SCR nicad , or 7cell NiMh pack, but has greater capacity so will show longer run times at WOT.

1. Stock, with Gunther 5x4.33 prop. Volts 7.2 Amps 7 Watts 31.4
RPM 13739 Time 20.35mins.
Opinion: (abreviated) Pitch is too high and prop will be stalled
at low speeds, making hand launching difficult. Slow climbs and
low acceleration. ( My note: This will improve out of sight with a
10 cell NiMh or a 3S li poly. A 10 cell Ni Cad is too heavy.)

2. GWS 5x3. Volts 7.2 Amps 5.5 Watts 26.2 RPM 15195 Time
26.12mins. Opinion: Prop speed is too high for safety. Watts
are low for any but sedate flight, however flight time is long.
Additional battery voltage will cause the prop to exceed its
max safe RPM and is not recommended.

3. MA 6x3. Volts 7.1 Amps 7.1 Watts 31.7 RPM 13564 Time 20.11
mins. Opinion: Pitch speed is ideal for good performance. No
difficulty with launch. Good climb and acceleration. Long flight
time.

4. Robbe 6x3.5 folder. Volts 7.1 Amps8.7 Watts 34.2 RPM 11967
Time 16.53 Opinion: Pitch speed ideal for good performance.
easy launches. Excellent climb and acceleration but extra
power available shortens motor run time.

There you have it . No: 3. Seems to be the winner ---BUT---You pays yer money and you takes yer choice.

Cheers. Patrick.
oldpilot is offline Find More Posts by oldpilot
Old Apr 08, 2004, 09:17 AM
EasyStar Pilot
Texas, USA
Joined Feb 2004
135 Posts
Anyone remember the show, Home Improvement? Remember the neighbor Wilson? Hmm...who does that remind you of, always hiding his mouth behind something... I think Zoomzoom's real name is Wilson. All these pictures strategically placed so that no one knows of the "real" camera mount. That is hilarious.

I'm still working (actually, I haven't started yet) on the prop adapter conversion for the EZ*. I have decided to go with the Dremel approach, so we'll see how it turns out. I will probably end up doing it tonight.

Zoom, sorry to hear about your "accident." It's good to hear that you got all your equipment back, and that you found it within the 15 minutes.
geogecko is offline Find More Posts by geogecko
Old Apr 08, 2004, 11:42 AM
Joined Jul 2002
1,532 Posts
OldPilot - Very good info thanks buddy !!

Just as an off the wall data point. With a Mega 16/15/5 it didn't seem like it had much climb/thrust with a thin bladed Graupner 6 X 3, but climbed was great with a "fat" bladed 5.5 X 4 MA prop. Several people I have talked to who were flying un-aerodynamic foam type planes found in real world applications the MA props worked better. So, all this seems to backup your findings. Again your prop mileage may vary

geogecko - I got a chuckle out of your comment I always liked Mr. Wilson on Home Improvment myself, that was a good show !!! One of the best espisodes was when one of Tim's neighbors had a Harley Davison V twin engine on his lawn mower

Damage report on the crash is that either the motor or the ECS got trashed. The ESC arms ok, but when the throttle is pushed forward the motor just chatters back and forth .

After doing a significant amount of crash testing I have found that hard upside down crashes do the most damage. It's almost always certain to crack the nose around the canopy latches and/or back to the servos as seen in my previous picture. So, it's the Easy Stars weak link and if you have your choice of crash positions don't do it upside down

I'm grounded from picture taking until I get another motor and ESC. I think'll order a Mega 16/15/4, which "should" swing a slightly bigger prop than the Mega 16/15/5 that I was using. Also, ordering two more ES kits and building the one remaining kit I have tonight. I need TT to help with the CA though.

Also, got a small digital altimeter yesterday for R/C plane use that reads back your flight profile when plugged into you computer after the flight. It's about the size and weight of a HS 55 servo. I'm hoping it will give me an idea of how high I have typically been getting. When I'm back flying again I'll see if I can post a graph of the flight profile. Haven't played with it yet, so I don't know the do's and dont's.
Zoomzoom is offline Find More Posts by Zoomzoom
Last edited by Zoomzoom; Apr 08, 2004 at 11:44 AM.
Old Apr 08, 2004, 12:24 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,532 Posts
Jeez, no one has the Easy Star in stock what's up with that ?? I think all of us should be getting kick backs for chatting up the ES, so people go out and buy them. Just doesn't leave any for us though

I'm noticing the price to start drifting upwards. Horizon used to be the cheapest @ $55.90 but it's now $62.49 which is the same as Tower Hobbies. Did I say price fixing............. ???

I guess I'm going to Band-Aid the crashed one back together and save the last kit I have until I can get more.
Old Apr 08, 2004, 01:09 PM
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Mar 2004
35 Posts
Splash - nice addition to my original photo, but you missed an opprurtunity to resize Al

Zoom - we all no someone who has an EZ in stock. And we no he is not using it (TT).

Old Pilot great info thanks. Any info on adding strength with out weight? (Clear Duct tape is kind of heavy)

John
fuentes_fam is offline Find More Posts by fuentes_fam
Old Apr 08, 2004, 01:14 PM
EasyStar Pilot
Texas, USA
Joined Feb 2004
135 Posts
1. What's an MA prop?

2. Where do you get them?

Zoom. You might want to try your ESC with another motor. I've had that type of problem before, and if I remember correctly, one of the magnets had come loose from the inside of the case. (That is if you are using brushed, otherwise, maybe a magnet came off the shaft.)

A guy posted a link to his page about building a photo system. Thought some people might be interested. He will build it for you, from what it looks like.

www.btinternet.com/~texy/navled.htm

For a do it yourself approach:

http://www.rc-cam.com/index.htm

(which I've already posted before, but in case you miss it...)
Old Apr 08, 2004, 01:39 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,532 Posts
geogecko - MA means Master Airscrew, most hobby shops have them. It's just another option to play with, but I wouldn't run out to get one.

Thanks for the tip. I've thought of hooking up another ESC to the crashed brushless. This way I can troubleshoot it to find out if it's the motor or ECS. I had been wondering if something got knocked loose in the motor since it landed hard upside down.

Hee, hee you had to go there about TT's unbuilt ES. I was thinking the same thing, but didn't say anything. If he waits long enough he could start a bidding war because the supply has dried up.

I don't reccommend the Aiptek in the link you posted, because it has to be mounted up right as seen in the picture, which doesn't work in planes very well. I started out with that camera a year and a half ago. Attached is one of the first pictures I ever took with it from a SS in SanCarlos Mexico.

The Aiptek SD seems to be a good choice for AP, I have seen some really nice pictures taken with them. Color satutation is great for 1.3 mp CMOS camera. Use a servo to trigger the shutter and your good to go. Seriously if people want to do AP from a plane I would go with the Slow Stick It's a lot easier to mount stuff on and you have more options as to what you can do. The picture quaility is in the camera not the plane.
Last edited by Zoomzoom; Apr 08, 2004 at 03:00 PM.
Old Apr 08, 2004, 01:46 PM
EasyStar Pilot
Texas, USA
Joined Feb 2004
135 Posts
Zoom. Thanks for the prop information. I want to try out the Zagi props before I get anything else.

Good point about the camera. I wasn't really recommending the camera, I just thought that people might be interested in the trigger. The servo is probably the easiest way to go though, plus it keeps you from having to modify the camera.
Old Apr 08, 2004, 05:53 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
The camera mount of Ginger Adam in TS

Since a lot of you guys are interested in camera mounting, I know this isn't an EZ*, but Ginger Adam has posted this website on the TS thread, and I'm sure he wont mind me sharing it with you here:

http://www.pbase.com/buckers

Looks like mounting in the EZ will require a lot of foam digging. Thanks Adam. tt
Treetop is online now Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Apr 08, 2004, 06:29 PM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomzoom
I think'll order a Mega 16/15/4, which "should" swing a slightly bigger prop than the Mega 16/15/5 that I was using.
Zoom,

You might want to check that bit again! The 4t is a hotter motor than the 5t, so it's suited to an even smaller prop.......

I'd suggest going for the 6t , which I know will draw around 12A when spinnning an 8x4 APC on 8 cells (1050KANS).

tim
tim hooper is online now Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Apr 08, 2004, 06:41 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
Oldpilot, I am thankful for your input from motocalc. I have been trying the stock setup with the free calculator at:

http://brantuas.com/ezcalc/dma1.asp

I am getting results using 7 cell Kan1050Nimh of 10.9 amps draw and 15,800 rpm. Is this screwy? With 6 x 3 MA 13,900 rpm, and 12.8 amps? Am I doing something wrong or in your opinion is this free calculator giving the "results that I paid for"? tt
Treetop is online now Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Apr 08, 2004, 08:13 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,532 Posts
Tim - I was basing my comments the info from Hobby Lobby's website, which I have copied below for the Mega brushless series 16/15/~ . I believe I'm picking up more rpms and torque. I'm looking for max climb with a direct drive prop no bigger than 6~7" in diameter. I ordered the Motocalc software today to play around with different setups and get a better understanding of it all.

2 turn: 38,000 RPM with 4x3 direct drive prop, 35 Amps.

3 turn: 19,000 RPM direct drive with 5x5 prop, 19 Amps, in racing planes.

4 turn: 13,400 RPM direct drive with 7x4 prop, 24 Amps.

5 turn: 12,800 RPM direct drive with 7x4 prop, 8 cells, 16 Amps, 23 oz. thrust.

6 turn: 11,400 RPM direct drive with 7x4 prop, 8 cells 11 Amps, 18 oz. thrust.

7 turn: 10,500 RPM direct drive with 7x4 prop, 8 cells, 8 Amps, 15 oz. thrust.
Last edited by Zoomzoom; Apr 08, 2004 at 08:16 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2004, 12:14 AM
Joined Jul 2002
1,532 Posts
Repaired the crashed camera ship. The nose kind of still looks like Bertha Sweet Cheeks sat on it though. It's soft in spots but should be ok for a while. Have two more ES's on back order and Hobby Lobby won't have any more in until April 23rd.

The ESC was toast, but the motor was good. One servo was acting funky so I replace both of them with HS81's that had metal gears. I want a robust setup for the ES.
Old Apr 09, 2004, 12:19 AM
Concord, CA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
328 Posts
Re the Mega 16/15/x series. Unless you are modifying the mortor mount, Easy Star only has room for a 6" prop. The 16/15/4 will handle any prop this size and provide the most power.

Chuck Hill
ChuckHHill is offline Find More Posts by ChuckHHill
Closed Thread