Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio

RealFlight Goes Mobile!

Now you can use the RealFlight RC simulator on your smart phone or tablet.

Splash

Now you can fly your RC planes on your mobile device with RealFlight Mobile.

RealFlight from Great Planes is one of the best selling RC sims in the world. The sim has been available for your computer for years, the big news is that it is now available for iOS and Android mobile devices.

I have flown most of the sims made for mobile devices and none of them were very realistic. While the mobile version of RealFlight is no substitute for the full version it is the best flying mobile sim on the market.

RealFlight Mobile comes with a trainer plane and airfield for free. That means you can download the app and start flying without spending a dime. To purchase additional planes and fields click the "Exit to Menu" button. There you have access to new planes and fields that you can purchase. The fields are 99 cents and the planes range from 99 cents to $1.99. I purchased Russian Thunder for two reasons, I wanted a more aerobatic plane and I have had the privilege of flying in the full scale plane.

While you won't be hovering on the mobile version I was able to get a decent knife edge going. There are different levels of skill that you can choose from. The beginner option seems to be in slow motion. I think that is very appropriate for a newbie. I went straight to the realistic level and it was pretty realistic! I even managed to get into a death spin.

The control inputs work like a real RC TX. This worked well. I did find that sometimes when I pulled up elevator my finger left the active area and that resulted in a crash. There are some very cool third party joy sticks that work on iPad like devices. Here is one and here is another. Like the original RealFlight there is a ground view and an autozoom for flying.

I have always thought that a real flight sim for iPad like devices was needed. I'm excited to see that RealFlight has stepped up to the plate and put a realistic RC flight sim on mobile devices.

You can learn more and download the app here.

Discussion

Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 12, 2014, 04:32 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
United States, AR, Jonesboro
Joined Mar 2013
316 Posts
What does it cost?
tmulligan is offline Find More Posts by tmulligan
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 04:44 PM
Administrator
Jim T. Graham's Avatar
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2002
11,279 Posts
The app itself is free. The only cost is to buy additional planes and fields.
Jim T. Graham is offline Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 09:54 PM
When pigs fly rc
rcrich's Avatar
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,426 Posts
Cool!!
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:14 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Mr Kamikaze's Avatar
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,345 Posts
If the Realflight people are reading this can we get dual rates please. The Yak needs more elevator and I would like to be able to 3D in the mobile version as well.
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:36 PM
Registered User
MaydayMayday's Avatar
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jul 2011
734 Posts
As soon as I saw that this was released I downloaded it on my Android phone. Simple to install and no setup required. Within a few minutes I was in the air with the Stearman Biplane tearing up the sky. The graphics are simple but decent so no getting lost in a haze. The default controls and physics seem a little weird the plane would be fine and a slight movement of the control and it would start to roll too far, a little adjusting it's much better.

I have it on my Note II (Android) and so far it's kinda fun, I usually do not like the airplane games on my phone because the controls are sloppy but this seems to have thought put into it.

I think it's just kinda slated for fun, not learning though If you got good on the phone version I'm sure it will hand its self to the real R/C stuff.

A Few Things to Know:
- I've had reports on my RCEM FB page that people can't get it installed, if that's the case check the Android app page usually there is a forum link or guide.

- You can adjust the sensitivity of the control and the plane's realism, most notably tipstall and stabilization. With it at "Beginner" the plane kinda just floats through the air" and with the setting on Realism the plane moves much faster and responds quicker. Turn up the sensitivity in this setting and your airplane is in drunk mode.

- Personally I turned down the sensitivity on the controls and turned up the realism, it made it harder to recover but the controls were a little more linear. I felt that the stock settings have to much EXPO.... ;-)

- And I had to actually click on the Realflight website then click on the Android link rather than searching for it in Play Store.


++ Pros ++
- It's free
- Graphics aren't too shabby, certainly better than most free R/C games.
- It helps feed your addiction
- Decent amount of options to adjust the controls to your liking.
- You can purchase more runways and more planes with a decent selections
- In my opinion the price for add ons are fair, ~$1 a piece

-- Cons --
- Only two planes and one Runway
- The onscreen controls display are huge and get in the way if you lift your hand and place them back on the controls. Also, typically with OSDs on Android (haven't used the iOS) there is an option to adjust the size and and the opacity.
MaydayMayday is online now Find More Posts by MaydayMayday
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:20 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2006
21 Posts
Pretty good

I installed this on my Galaxy Note 2 as soon as I saw this article. It seems much more responsive to control input than free iOS/Android sims I've tried. The cost of the other airfields and planes are reasonable. It loads quickly and has pleasing graphics.

The control inputs themselves lack precision like every other sim I've tried. I can only conclude this is all that's possible with available screen real-estate and sensitivity.

My only question, when are the heli's coming?
hr_sea is offline Find More Posts by hr_sea
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 02:52 AM
Registered User
Buschbarber's Avatar
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,098 Posts
How do you close it? It continues to run in the background. I had to Force Close. There is no Exit other than to Menu.
Buschbarber is offline Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 05:23 AM
Registered User
Mr Rowl's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Oxford
Joined Jul 2002
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschbarber View Post
How do you close it? It continues to run in the background. I had to Force Close. There is no Exit other than to Menu.
Apple's certification for iOS means if you put an exit button in an app then it gets failed! So unless devs put in special UI/flow for exiting under Android, it tends to not happen until people ask for it - most devs will focus on iOS development over Android because it tends to generate more revenue (and because you have to jump through a lot more hoops for iOS).

Anyway, I had a go and it's pretty good already. There's definitely room for a lot of improvement (USB controller support, camera settings, wind/turbulence simulation being the most important, I think), and hopefully they'll keep up the development.
Mr Rowl is offline Find More Posts by Mr Rowl
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 08:10 AM
Registered User
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschbarber View Post
How do you close it? It continues to run in the background. I had to Force Close. There is no Exit other than to Menu.
I have not installed it yet. But on Android often times using the back button enough times finally gets you a "quit" confirmation and actually causes the app to Exit. At least that's what I've seen with some other games.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 09:25 AM
Citizen #302
USA, OR, Canby
Joined Oct 2007
331 Posts
Are there any Helicopters, or any plans to add some?
Kam Arrow is offline Find More Posts by Kam Arrow
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 09:30 AM
Registered User
Buschbarber's Avatar
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaydayMayday View Post
As soon as I saw that this was released I downloaded it on my Android phone. Simple to install and no setup required. Within a few minutes I was in the air with the Stearman Biplane tearing up the sky. The graphics are simple but decent so no getting lost in a haze. The default controls and physics seem a little weird the plane would be fine and a slight movement of the control and it would start to roll too far, a little adjusting it's much better.

I have it on my Note II (Android) and so far it's kinda fun, I usually do not like the airplane games on my phone because the controls are sloppy but this seems to have thought put into it.

I think it's just kinda slated for fun, not learning though If you got good on the phone version I'm sure it will hand its self to the real R/C stuff.

A Few Things to Know:
- I've had reports on my RCEM FB page that people can't get it installed, if that's the case check the Android app page usually there is a forum link or guide.

- You can adjust the sensitivity of the control and the plane's realism, most notably tipstall and stabilization. With it at "Beginner" the plane kinda just floats through the air" and with the setting on Realism the plane moves much faster and responds quicker. Turn up the sensitivity in this setting and your airplane is in drunk mode.

- Personally I turned down the sensitivity on the controls and turned up the realism, it made it harder to recover but the controls were a little more linear. I felt that the stock settings have to much EXPO.... ;-)

- And I had to actually click on the Realflight website then click on the Android link rather than searching for it in Play Store.


++ Pros ++
- It's free
- Graphics aren't too shabby, certainly better than most free R/C games.
- It helps feed your addiction
- Decent amount of options to adjust the controls to your liking.
- You can purchase more runways and more planes with a decent selections
- In my opinion the price for add ons are fair, ~$1 a piece

-- Cons --
- Only two planes and one Runway
- The onscreen controls display are huge and get in the way if you lift your hand and place them back on the controls. Also, typically with OSDs on Android (haven't used the iOS) there is an option to adjust the size and and the opacity.
I just went to the Playstore on my Galaxy S3, to install it.
Buschbarber is offline Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:38 AM
Registered User
MaydayMayday's Avatar
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jul 2011
734 Posts
Ya, I think when I downloaded it I'm not sure it was either not high enough on the search or wasn't added yet, but when I look now I see it. Makes it easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschbarber View Post
I just went to the Playstore on my Galaxy S3, to install it.
MaydayMayday is online now Find More Posts by MaydayMayday
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 11:39 AM
Administrator
Jim T. Graham's Avatar
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2002
11,279 Posts
We don't know what the future plans for the app are at this time. I'm just excited to have a good RC sim on my iPad. If there are any updates I'll be sure to report them.
Jim T. Graham is offline Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 07:05 PM
Registered User
PeteSchug's Avatar
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,022 Posts
Kind of fun but the lack of physical feedback makes it a bit hard to fly.

I'd love it if there was a little representation of the stick positions in the upper corners to help keep things under control.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Found Want to buy iPhone 5 Verizon or T-Mobile wattflyer6161 Non R/C Items (FS/W) 3 Oct 29, 2013 09:10 AM
Discussion Mobile (Cell) phone as payload gr4ndp4 Electric Plane Talk 6 Oct 21, 2013 08:39 AM
For Sale XBOX 360 Bluetooth Wireless Headset, Virgin Mobile Overdrive Pro 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot acesshex Non R/C Items (FS/W) 0 Oct 10, 2013 01:10 PM
Suggestion mobile chrome problems stgdz Site Suggestions / Complaints 4 Sep 19, 2013 06:54 AM