Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio

Phoenix Flight Gear Xtreme CarbonSpyder Foldable FPV Micro Frame

Phoenix Flight Gear has created a carbon fiber frame to take this micro quad to the next level.

Splash

Phoenix Flight Gear's new CF frame turns the RC Logger Eye One Extreme into an FPV vehicle!

The RC Logger Xtreme micro quad is amazingly easy to fly. With the upgraded props it can lift 100 grams. That is GoPro territory. The second I had it flying in stock form I wanted to get some FPV gear on it. One of the possible problems is the frame is so compact that all the components are too close together. This is where Phoenix Flight Gear comes in. I was on the forum and saw a post by the owner (and RCG user) featuring his new Phoenix Flight Gear Xtreme CarbonSpyder foldable FPV micro frame frame that retails for $80. I had to get one to review.

Xtreme CarbonQuad FPV Micro Frame - RCGroups (16 min 3 sec)

The frame is made so you can mount your FPV gear on it. You could mount an RC Logger Pro, a Mobius or a micro FPV camera. There are also mounting locations for your video TX and batteries. Remember that weight is your enemy so keep it small and light.

One of the coolest things about this frame is that it folds. With the props removed the footprint is 180x100mm.

The frame is made from 3k twill weave carbon fiber with no glass fillers or composites. The frame was designed to accommodate the stock motors but you can also upgrade to the T-motor 1306-20 3100v motor.

Included:

• 1 - Xtreme CarbonQuad Foldable FPV Micro Frame
  • 4 - Xtreme CarbonQuad Foldable FPV Micro Arms
  • 1 - FPV cam tab
  • 1 - Board camera plate
  • 8 - M2x8 screws
  • 8 - M2 Locknuts
  • 16 - M2 Washers
  • 8 - M3x6 screws
  • 2 - 30mm nylon standoffs
  • 4 - 40mm nylon standoffs

Required:

• RcLogger Xtreme EyeOne
  • 2.0mm allen wrench
  • 1.3mm allen wrench
  • 4mm nut driver
  • #1 phillips head
  • Solder station

Frame Components

Top Accessory Plate

I was also sent the top mount accessory plate. The accessory plate is cut from 1mm 3k twill weave carbon fiber and includes all hardware needed. This also allows you to mount the FPV camera piece between the two plates. This retails at $30.

Build Pics

Here are my photos showing the disassembly of the Xtreme and the assembly of the Phoenix Gear frame. You can find the online instructions here.

Flying

I mounted my FPV gear - the RC Logger Pro and RC Logger video Tx. The Pro can serve as an FPV cam and record video as well. I also added a 350 mAH lipo from one of my sailplanes to power the video TX. I was very surprised how much authority the Xtreme had with these components added to it. I got one flight time around 7 minutes but 6 minutes was the average when fully loaded.

After just a few sessions it's pretty easy to get this quad flying smoothly. It is the perfect size for my backyard excursions. The limited battery time means you better keep it nearby. After more than a few spills the frame held together well. To date I have hung it up in tree, made hard landings, flipped it over, and slammed it into the ground. So far I haven't broken anything, including the props. I would caution you to check the nuts holding the arms in place. These will loosen up after a few good hits. I'm happy to say the Xtreme flies just as well, if not better, with the frame from Phoenix.

If you are looking to trick out your Xtreme and add some FPV gear this frame is the way to go. The build was a little tedious but easy over all. I'm looking forward to more FPV adventures with this micro quad in the future.

Learn more at the Phoenix Flight Gear page.

Discussion

Old Jun 13, 2014, 05:22 PM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Feb 2012
617 Posts
that's nice, how much is the frame?
dynam is offline Find More Posts by dynam
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:45 PM
Pilot of all that flys
United States, CA, Ben Lomond
Joined Jun 2014
17 Posts
"featuring his new Xtreme carbon fiber folding Extreme frame that retails for $80"
spunrdneck is offline Find More Posts by spunrdneck
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2014, 03:40 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,440 Posts
VERY cool little quad!
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Introducing The "Demon-Claw"...
Old Jun 27, 2014, 03:01 AM
Joined Jan 2014
119 Posts
This is the CarbonSpyder not the CarbonQuad. Two different frames.
Roomie is offline Find More Posts by Roomie
Old Jul 02, 2014, 09:20 AM
United States, NJ, Cresskill
Joined Mar 2014
95 Posts
ordered this and rclogger xtreme. Turns out that the frame came before quad because of the firmware recall. Cant wait for this Backyard FPV!

i didn't get a top plate. looks like i can put the mobius up front and bottom. FPV camera up front top in the mount. battery bottom back and Tx back top.

Is everyone using a separate lipo for the transmitter? What tx fpv combo is everyone using...
d4ddyo is online now Find More Posts by d4ddyo