SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 06, 2004, 04:47 PM
Lamar, Mo.
Joined Feb 2004
141 Posts
I will nominate Troy Built Models for their foamie"3D Delite" He tries to upgrade you to the premium motor package and if you decline, he will sing the praises of the stock motor set-up. I bought it , built it and it flies like a turd on a string! When I braced him about the poor performance, he claims he told me the performance of the stock system was "marginal-at best"! Would you buy something if told it was marginal-at best in performance? Neither would I. I asked him if he'd make some kind of adjustment to rectify this deal and I've heard nothing from him!
bluefly2202 is offline Find More Posts by bluefly2202
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2004, 07:23 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,368 Posts
This was moved from the For Sale forum.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Apr 22, 2004, 04:03 AM
Bristol IN
Joined Mar 2004
350 Posts
ďA turd on a string.Ē

If it's that bad, then I imagine that a motor upgrade will make it fly like a fast moving turd, hu. I've seen his site a few times, and it seems to me that he was very forthcoming with helpful information, including motor and performance stuff.

Some people might be ecstatic having a slower flying plane with mild aerobatic capability, others simply need more performance than that. The buyer must buy with realistic expectations in mind. You clearly seem to have the need for more than nominal performance, so why not blame you for not making a wise motor choice? All salesmen worth their salt will treat the customer like their always right, so if you gave the impression like you might be happy with the lower performing motors, then for him to praise that choice would be only natural to do.

Also, unless you can absolutely rule out all other variables, you might have a

Weak battery
Weak motor
Weak electrical connection somewhere
Mismatched or defective speed controller
Maybe your radio is defective
Maybe your radio works fine but is not setup properly
Etc.

Maybe you just need a bigger motor, I donít know. But respectful restraint seems called for prior to trashing the sellerís reputation on such a dubious situation. Did you get all the stuff from him? Have you run load tests to see if the propulsion system is performing near itís rating? Is the prop properly balanced? Did all the parts weigh what they should weigh, and were assembled as they should be assembled? Is the gearbox setup with the appropriate amount of spacing between it and the driveshaft gear? Too tight and it will cause excessive friction and hurt performance.

Iíd ask you how it flies aside from the propulsion issue, but given your treatment so far, I donít think Iíd care to hear what you have to say anyway. A more productive approach seems to be more ,,, productive, ,,, to me.
1Way is offline Find More Posts by 1Way
Old Apr 22, 2004, 04:19 AM
Bristol IN
Joined Mar 2004
350 Posts
Here's a link to his website providing motor with prop thrust and speed considerations. Is your motor providing what it says it should provide? Good luck.

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/FoamAcc.html

Have you much experience with 3D planes?
Quote:
At 4.3 oz/sq ft, the plane flies at just a few miles per hour, and makes bailing out of 3D maneuvers easy.
That is less than half the wing loading of many 3D planes, like the Pigi as an example of a 3D foamy. Can you do any of the stuff shown in the flight video? If not, then maybe you can find someone who can to see if itís the plane or partly the flyer...
1Way is offline Find More Posts by 1Way
Last edited by 1Way; Apr 22, 2004 at 04:35 AM.
Old May 11, 2004, 08:08 PM
Plane Crazy
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Feb 2003
1,058 Posts
I have had a good experience with this plane. I am new to 3d and it flies well enough for me on the stock motor and the other recommended components on allerc.com site. I'd say its all a matter of preference and perhaps experience as well. I would definately recommend it for someone who is looking for their first 3d plane. My opinion, for what its worth.

Lets go fly!
cincy is offline Find More Posts by cincy
Old May 14, 2004, 02:31 AM
United States, AZ, Apache Junction
Joined Sep 2002
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefly2202
I will nominate Troy Built Models for their foamie"3D Delite" He tries to upgrade you to the premium motor package and if you decline, he will sing the praises of the stock motor set-up. I bought it , built it and it flies like a turd on a string! When I braced him about the poor performance, he claims he told me the performance of the stock system was "marginal-at best"! Would you buy something if told it was marginal-at best in performance? Neither would I. I asked him if he'd make some kind of adjustment to rectify this deal and I've heard nothing from him!
Try it with a 1260 prop on the EPS350c-ds/bb motor gearbox (this is the recommended brushed setup). I fly mine with that and a 1200 two cell etec HP pack and it flies great. Hovers even for me!

David Sobel
www.allerc.com
ALL e RC is offline Find More Posts by ALL e RC
Site Sponsor