HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2001, 09:06 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
1 Posts
TumbleWatt is very cool

Hi.
I have been reading the ezone discussions for a while but this is the first post.

I just finished test flying my TumbleWatt. Cool. Wow. More stable than my Zagi but seems to be very agile. I have not tried too much yet, only 2 flights on it. Quick easy build as well (it's a built up wing but you don't even have to cut wing ribs).

Gary K
Gary_K is offline Find More Posts by Gary_K
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2001, 02:20 PM
Tullahoma, TN
Joined Jul 2000
986 Posts
I fly a Tumblewatt, too--wanted to try building a Tom Hunt stick model--it was a fun build. I am amazed at its axial roll rate. If I had to guess, I'd say it's on the order of .25 seconds. Mine does not loop as well as it rolls and does not do well with a power-off landing--not a good glider. I bring it in at low throttle and cut the throttle in the flair. It's very "zippy" and is fun for some fast, close-in flying. Nice change of pace. I added Bare Bones plans to my last New Creations order just in case I get the urge to "stick-build" again.
EricBjorn is offline Find More Posts by EricBjorn
Old Apr 30, 2001, 02:37 PM
Tork it or Dork it
Elizabethville,PA USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,198 Posts
I also fly a Tumblewatt. I got mine done back in November and been flying the heck out of it. Its a fun plane to fly. I like the way these stick planes go together. I like flying it in close and doing areobatics. I have my ailerons at an 1 1/2 each way and elevator at an inch each way. Rolls real well. Does loops ok. It seems to do loops better big and not small. I can't do consective loops like a fun fly plane. But big loops I can do as many as I want. It flies upside down good to and outside loops. Seems like it does outsides better then insides. Areobatics are no problem for this plane. Flys excellent. You'll enjoy it Gary.
I just upgraded my Tumblewatt to a 480 motor and a 8x1000nimh battey pack. I used to have a 400 and 8x600ae. Flew good but didn't run long enough.
I have an elipstik 700 kit and a barebones plans. Going to but the barebones together soon, maybe in a month or two. As soon as i get my airplanes going that I have know.
What batteries are yous running in yours???
Ryan Nau is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Nau
Old May 01, 2001, 10:48 AM
I have no friends
United States, MI, Holland
Joined Dec 1996
3,356 Posts
I have a Tumblewatt also and love it. Although mine glides great when I cut the power, I frequently overshoot landings with it.

I get 4:00 with a 6V Speed 400 and 8-600AE but was thinking about the 480 with either 800AR or something else.

What 1000mah NiMh are you using and how well do they work? What rate do you charge them at? I tried some generic ones and they worked OK until I set them at 5 amp charge rate accidentally...oops.
mt_100 is offline Find More Posts by mt_100
Old May 01, 2001, 02:38 PM
Tork it or Dork it
Elizabethville,PA USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,198 Posts
I don't know how yours glides good. When I cut the throttle on mine, It drops. It lands good though with a little throttle.
The 8x1000nimh I am using are sayno cells I think, i bought it from newcreations. It works good. I get about 7 minutes at full throttle of areobatic flying. Would a 8x800ar fit in the tumblewatt?? I wonder if the airframe could take it. What props do you use on yours.
Also how do you have your battery in and where. On mine I have to have my battery all the way up to the motor and I have two pieces of velro and a couple pieces of tape holding it in.
Ryan
Ryan Nau is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Nau
Old May 01, 2001, 02:43 PM
I have no friends
United States, MI, Holland
Joined Dec 1996
3,356 Posts
Right now my battery is under the leading edge of the wing. Now that you mention it I don't think the 800ARs will fit and if they did if the airframe could take it.

I would check you CG and see if you aren't nose heavy by a bit. I can glide mine straight and level starting at 20' while 100' out and still overshoot landings.

Currently I am using a Graupner 6x3 Cam folder on mine that seems to be a really good match.
mt_100 is offline Find More Posts by mt_100
Old May 01, 2001, 02:55 PM
www.M-A-E.com
Lilburn, GA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
1,175 Posts
Want a really hot setup? I use an AF020 on 7 500AR's turning a Graupner 6x4. This takes my TW straight up from launch until it's very small I also added rudder. Does nice snaps and spins.
rcflyer11 is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer11
Old May 01, 2001, 04:14 PM
Motors beat engines!
Milwaukee Wisconsin, United States
Joined Feb 2001
4,564 Posts
I'm planning on using the rs1600 pak. It does not fit in the fuse, but will fit in the wing sideways right where the servo is supposed to go. This means you have to move the servo forward ahead of the main spar, but thats a pretty easy change. The hold down rubber bands also hold down the battery.
I am having a bit of a problem bending the fuse sticks together at the nose. Would anybody share how they got this to fit right please?
DeaninMilwaukee is offline Find More Posts by DeaninMilwaukee