HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2004, 11:38 AM
bat
cincinnati
Joined Jun 2003
1,459 Posts
MI-24 Hind plug

For a long time I have wanted to se the russian Mi-24 hind come to market as a scale fuselage. there is finally a fuse available for those looking for a 7 foot turbine heli. way too rich for most peoples blood so I decided to start making my own foam plug in the hopes that if it turns out to be really good someone would be interested in taking the plug off my hands and bring it to the micro heli market. I know that a great plug should be made of mdf but I have no power tools and have thus far only used a #11 xacto knife and sandpaper. low budget. this is a labor of love and a learning experience. If anyone would be willing to share I need details on what materials too use too fill and what grades of sandpaper to get a glossy finish. I plan on painting the finished plug black. Depending on intrest I may make a mold of the finished fuse and pour plaster plug. Enjoy the pix and hopefully this baby will end up available for everyone to enjoy.
bat
bat is offline Find More Posts by bat
Last edited by bat; Jun 01, 2004 at 07:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2004, 12:44 PM
Joined Dec 2001
139 Posts
There's no help i could possibly offer you as far as this goes, but you sure got my support.

I too wish there were more model mi24s to play with, and not just RC ones. All these die cast toy makers around the world seem to focus on the glamourous western helis like the apache, the cobra,the huey etc etc....cant seem to find a hind.

got a micro machine one, and a tamiya scale model which being a proper scale model, cant be brought around and "flown" around the house like i was 17 years younger and 5 years old.

So just wanted to say that's a great work you're doing haha
iamDerrick is offline Find More Posts by iamDerrick
Old Apr 06, 2004, 12:44 PM
Joined Dec 2001
139 Posts
There's no help i could possibly offer you as far as this goes, but you sure got my support.

I too wish there were more model mi24s to play with, and not just RC ones. All these die cast toy makers around the world seem to focus on the glamourous western helis like the apache, the cobra,the huey etc etc....cant seem to find a hind.

got a micro machine one, and a tamiya scale model which being a proper scale model, cant be brought around and "flown" around the house like i was 17 years younger and 5 years old.

So just wanted to say that's a great job you're doing haha
Old Apr 07, 2004, 08:00 AM
bat
cincinnati
Joined Jun 2003
1,459 Posts
Thanks derrick
I have seen some diecast toys of the russian ka-52 at walmart a couple months back, and the latest gi-joe helicopter seems to be stylized with the hind in mind, other than that it is all US helicopters, and mostly MD 500. if I see any russian heli toys I'll let you know
Old Apr 07, 2004, 12:32 PM
Joined Dec 2001
139 Posts
haha that'll be great, thing is though i'm living on the other side of the world in Singapore so info on where to find them might not be so useful....

A ka 52 would be nice indeed though the hind is still my favourite.
Even if Rambo's able to down one with a bow and arrow...
Old Apr 07, 2004, 12:53 PM
Milwaukee WI
Joined Dec 2003
500 Posts
I to want a hind fuse for my micro heli. I'll be able to vac form one off a model, but the model is $100 so I haven't bit the bullet just yet. (I don't plan on selling them so I don't care about legal issues)

My hobby shop is pretty good about letting me open the box to see if it will fit, so that's cool that I won't be stuck with a model that won't work. If I do get one I'll let you guys know for sure.
I've vac formed several fuselages....It's pretty easy!
Here's a couple sources incase you're interested:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pro...+Styrene+Sheet

http://www.studiocreations.com/howto...ing/index.html

Let me know what you guys come up with!
Thanks,
Paul
darkside212 is offline Find More Posts by darkside212
Old Apr 07, 2004, 01:54 PM
bat
cincinnati
Joined Jun 2003
1,459 Posts
darksid212
good luck with the scale project. my fuselage is somewhere between 1/30 and 1/29 scale. basically I took a 1/33 scale card model and scaled up 15%. for those of you wanting eyecandy this is what got me started
http://www.helicrazy.com/
he use to have a nice video of the mi-24 in flight but he has removed it from his site. I have the video but have no way of posting it. enjoy
Old Apr 07, 2004, 02:06 PM
Milwaukee WI
Joined Dec 2003
500 Posts
That's cool! any other references?
Old Apr 07, 2004, 02:57 PM
bat
cincinnati
Joined Jun 2003
1,459 Posts
here is the turbine version available in the us
http://www.v-eastonline.com/Hind24D.htm
and this is the largest plastic scale mi-24 I have foud on the market pricey though
http://www.aviapress.com/viewonekit.htm?NAV-002
Old Apr 07, 2004, 04:18 PM
Milwaukee WI
Joined Dec 2003
500 Posts
That model is the same scale (but different brand) as the one at my LHS. They're selling it for $104, but I get a discount so I could probably get it for about $95 or so. That's still a lot of cash though!

I wish more model makers made these they're so cool!
Old Apr 07, 2004, 06:13 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Nov 2003
270 Posts
ROT8 is offline Find More Posts by ROT8
Last edited by ROT8; Apr 07, 2004 at 06:17 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2004, 08:45 PM
Milwaukee WI
Joined Dec 2003
500 Posts
Hey Rot8,

where's that at? Is it just a "display"?
Old Apr 08, 2004, 09:33 AM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Nov 2003
270 Posts
I think it is a real one, not dispaly, pic found at http://helispot.com/ lots of nice heli pics for scale detailing.
ROT8 is offline Find More Posts by ROT8
Last edited by ROT8; Apr 08, 2004 at 09:37 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 07:43 AM
bat
cincinnati
Joined Jun 2003
1,459 Posts
Well it has been slow comming, mostly because of my priorities. However some progress has been made and I am Learning a ton about modeling in foam, using only a razor knife, sandpaper and filler. Quality is all about the tools and time of which I have few tools but will take the time to do my best for a first run. enjoy
bat
Old Apr 26, 2004, 08:56 AM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,202 Posts
Awsome Bat!!!

Cheers - Boyd
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup