HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2004, 10:02 AM
I'm big in Japan
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2004
439 Posts
2nd plane Parkflyer recommendations

If cost is not an issue, what would be a good slow/moderate speed parkflyer as a second plane?

Only item I would like to reuse are my KAN 1050 batteries.

I am currently on a GWS Slow Stick and am looking into this now since I think it'll take me some time to decide and then even longer to take the time to put it together properly.

I've scanned through all the planes at Hobb-Lobby.com and have lots of ideas, but would like to see what someone with experience recommends. I plan much more practice with my 3-channel rudder only Slow Stick before taking this on, but will have no aileron experience to pull from.
Ducman69 is offline Find More Posts by Ducman69
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2004, 10:21 AM
Joined May 2002
225 Posts
I think you made a wise choice with your first plane. Now that you're getting the hang of it maybe you should try the Beaver, a foam plane and my second endeavor, or a Mountain Models balsa kit? I'm pretty sure that the batteries will work in a Beaver since it is running the same 300 motor. Also others on theis site will be adding to your choices. Good luck with whatever plane you choose!
grizzowner is offline Find More Posts by grizzowner
Old Apr 06, 2004, 10:31 AM
Riverview, FL
Joined Dec 2002
1,497 Posts
I would like to put in a vote for the mountain models SmoothE - (www.mountainmodels.com) - this is a foam wing, balsa fuselage plane that can grow with you. It can be set up as a nice and sedate flyer (with the slow flyer wing - 3ch) and can transform into a pretty fun to fly and aerobatic sport plane with ailerons. (Sport wing- 4ch).

What I like about this plane?
- Very quick and easy to build - only took a few hours to complete everything
- the wing and fuse are designed to be covered with tape - so you donít have to mess with any covering, but still get a plane that is not like every other GWS or other plane at the field
- Flies nice and slow - but throttle up and go wild - capable of decent aerobatics
- Rugged plane - search in the park flyer forum for SmoothE, or watch the video from the web page I listed
- The fuselage has a nice large area that can hold my aiptek camera - so you can get the plane into aerial photography
- Doug and Matthew Binder - theyíre here on ezone and available for any questions you might need - I also donít think you will find a single person who has something bad to say about their kits.
- Unlike other kits - if you build it like the manual says - you are ready to go - many other planes require you perform upgrades so the wings donít fold or the battery hatch doesnít open in flight, etc...
- this plane flies great in wind - I have personally flown in about 15mph winds - with higher gusts - and the plane handles well... much better than most other planes that are park flyers. Others that fly well in the wind are not able to slow down as well as this plane.
- i, today, added my aiptek camera to the plane and was able to have some fun with aerial photography

What I donít like?
- The only thing I donít like is I need to buy more batteries to fly it. I truly havenít found any bad traits yet and am honestly searching for some.. But the plane is such a joy to fly
- Once you get a mountain models kit - you will want more -- and that costs money

Check out my build thread for more details - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=213869

Here is the original introduction thread - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=205796

and if youre interested in how i hooked up the camera for AP - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=217873

Best of luck - and feel free to contact me if you have any more questions
Jeff
nose_first is offline Find More Posts by nose_first
Old Apr 06, 2004, 10:50 AM
Arnold , Maryland, United States
Joined Nov 2002
897 Posts
Aileron experiance is over-rated in my opinion. On a rudder / elevator plane you use both control surfaces to make turns without losing a lot of altitude.
Rudder / aileron planes still use two control surfaces to make turns without losing altitude. As long as the two control surfaces are on the right stick, you hardly notice the difference.

The thing to focus on is learning to fly your 3 channel plane well. If you can do that, the crossover to 4 ch. (with ailerons on the right stick in place of the rudder) should be easy.

The difficult part of most 4 ch. planes is, they are faster, and don't self correct like many trainers try to do That's what makes them harder to fly, Not ailerons.

E Starter (4 ch.) is a small step up from a SS.

Then Dandysport or Switchback.

Then Tantrum or Flashback.
There, I planed your next three planes for you. You'll thank me later. :-)
uglystick is offline Find More Posts by uglystick
Old Apr 06, 2004, 10:53 AM
Fishers, IN
Joined Aug 2003
134 Posts
gotta put in a plug for the e-starter.
msquared is offline Find More Posts by msquared
Old Apr 06, 2004, 01:05 PM
I'm big in Japan
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2004
439 Posts
Wow! Talk about quick response!

I'm going to keep my Slow Stick exclusively for aerial photography once I get better, so I think I have that area covered. Looks like a lot of props for mountain models! Checking that out right now.

While most of the Flying Styro planes look like they'd take a year to assemble and are difficult to fly, they have the Fatty Sparrow Biplane ARTF. Its stated to fly quite slowly and looks gorgeous!
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/field_fatty.htm

My 1050 battery is too large for this plane. Its also only a 3-channel plane though so likely can't do anything more than the SS aerobatic wise. I'll admit I only ask because its 'pretty'. Another great looking plane that is a low-wing though is the: http://www.hobby-lobby.com/t6texan.htm This may be way out of my skill range though...

Am I way off base with these models? I'm just attracted to the aesthetics and apparent completeness.
Ducman69 is offline Find More Posts by Ducman69
Old Apr 06, 2004, 01:12 PM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
Second plane suggestions

any of the Mountain Models High wing planes like the Dandy (ailerons or not... you can always upgrade to a different wing type and keep the fuse) or even a Switchback sport flies very nice with just rudder & elevator

GWS

TM-400
E-starter
Islander

Toddsmodels has some nifty second planes too

dare i say a Zagi 400X may be interesting too

all depends on where you want to go next

Chuck
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy