HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2001, 07:24 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
My MiG-29 for single 480MF

Due to some interest of my current design I open this thread - I'll try to keep it updated for those of you that are watching me...

Here is a snapshot of my progress after~5hrs of cutting/assemblying and gluing. Weight as is = 3.3oz (less hardware)
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2001, 07:30 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,122 Posts
Hi Haldor,
Looks great so far. I noticed in your CAD drawings and here too that you've kept the nose ring on the fan unit. Are you forsaking the intake ducting for the ease of construction?

I look forward to future updates.
Daren
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren
Old Dec 26, 2001, 07:54 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Hi Daren.

This pic should give you the idea - I'm keeping it simple.
Old Dec 26, 2001, 09:54 PM
steve neill
n/a Posts
Haldor,
It's great. Simple works best and in this case also looks great! I'm tempted to build one after the contest for an everyday bird. Keep it coming Haldor.See guys, I'm not the only fast builder, there's Haldor, and let us not forget Herb's rainy day project!
Steve Neill
Old Dec 26, 2001, 10:30 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,122 Posts
Thanks Haldor. That's what I thought it looked like in your other drawings. Great idea.

Steve,
I'm one of the original fast builders, too. My record to date is (not counting ARFs, of course) is zero to 4-40 bipe, ready to fly in 10 days.

My F-4 is designed to be a two-week wonder. Unlike the Flanker, I'm keeping it extremely simple. Now if only I could get in touch with Superior Balsa!

Daren
Old Dec 26, 2001, 10:33 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,014 Posts
As Roger use to say, Dy-no-mite!
Looks good Haldor. Am I reading this CAD drawing right when I see somewhat of a profile intake "look" rather than a long ducting? If it is then very creative I wonder how that will boost performance because you will loose a lot of wetted area; i.e. DRAG!!!
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2001, 11:53 AM
Dude, where's My Plane?
Green Lane PA USA
Joined Mar 2001
2,167 Posts
Yeah, you could say its created some intrest I suppose . Looks great Haldor, except I noticed in the CAD drawling the motor is purple! Trying to dress a Hacker in a Speed 480 can for the contest ehh??? Im on to you .
I am excited to see the F-4 too, that is a great EDF subject fo a simple scale single. Big intakes, squareish body, good wing area, sharp looking jet. Have you started it yet Daren?
JasonJ is offline Find More Posts by JasonJ
Old Dec 27, 2001, 02:56 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JasonJ
Have you started it yet Daren?
Naw, I have a brand new Su-27 sitting on the bench waiting for a power system!

Actually, I'm working on my own EDF Design contest airplane in the meantime.
Daren
Old Dec 27, 2001, 03:55 PM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,346 Posts
Hey Haldor,

Looks like fun! What CAD program are you using?

Tim H.
Tim H. is offline Find More Posts by Tim H.
Old Dec 27, 2001, 04:35 PM
Dude, where's My Plane?
Green Lane PA USA
Joined Mar 2001
2,167 Posts
Oh, I thought the F-4 was for the contest.
Is the flanker the same one you have been working on or a new build ?
Uh oh, a bit off topic I suppose,
Yeah Haldor, what CAD do you use, are you an engineer or something? My guese is yes.
JasonJ is offline Find More Posts by JasonJ
Old Dec 27, 2001, 05:46 PM
Elizabethtown/Ft. Knox, Kentucky, United States
Joined Jan 2001
1,125 Posts
Haldor, It looks great! You really have that CAD thing going! I have a college degree in drafting (back when we used pencils and parallel rules, and I'm not that old!) but I just can't make myself learn the CAD.
Keep us posted!
Jim Phelps
Jim Phelps is offline Find More Posts by Jim Phelps
Old Dec 27, 2001, 05:59 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
I intended to build this design around the standard s480BB Race/8cell combo and knowing that its rather weak I knew I had to trade scale fidelity for flyability. That meant small airframe and a minimized airframe. The result was a single fan suspended between two profile engine pods. I tried to keep the rest as scale as possible otherwise I run the risk of loosing interest in the thing.

I appreciate the compliments!

JasonJ - the purple motor is not a Hacker...its a Kontronik They have purpleish front/rearplates. I have a s480 on hand in case it become a requirement. Otherwise I'll use a BL within any powerlimitation set by the board.

The MiG is designed in AutoCAD2000 - but no, I'm no engineer.... selftaught in fact with some good help from fellow ezoners (Scott Black in particular - thanks!)

Gotta get back to the building board - I'll post pics later.
-Haldor
Old Dec 27, 2001, 08:05 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JasonJ
Oh, I thought the F-4 was for the contest.
Is the flanker the same one you have been working on or a new build ?
Doh! That's what I get for posting before I read! Yes, the F-4 is for the contest and not the Flanker. I agree the Phantom is a good subject for the same reasons you mentioned earlier. I'm just waiting for the foam cores and the balsa order to come in.

Now back to Haldor's MiG.
Daren
Old Dec 30, 2001, 12:13 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Short update - pic show current state of the prototype. Weight is 130g (4,5oz) as shown. On tuesday I'll cut the wings - going with foam for this one.

Happy New Year everybody!
See you there....
Old Dec 30, 2001, 01:35 PM
Flying Welder Pilot
Reno, Nevada
Joined Jan 2001
1,137 Posts
Now it's starting to look interesting for sure. Its funny these things look sleaker and faster as you progress in the build. Looks good.

Haldor-Have you had a chance to fly anything in a while? Or is work and weather still unfavorable?

Gordon
Plane Crazy is offline Find More Posts by Plane Crazy