HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2001, 05:58 PM
Owner of the real Petey
Vista, CA USA
Joined Feb 2001
33 Posts
wattage f-22 raptor- anybody flying it?

Curious about performance, tips and enhancements for the wattage f-22 raptor. E-zone review didn't look bad. Any opinions?
ghoward79 is offline Find More Posts by ghoward79
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2001, 06:13 PM
Tiger Moth World Tour
New Berlin, WI USA
Joined Jan 2001
187 Posts
i've got one, it's a great little flyer. i built mine without gear and i fly it with an 8-cell 600man nicad and an 8-cell 1000mah nimh pack. the only bad thing was the motor burned up after about 20 flights but i replaced it with another speed-300 motor and it's up and running again. i think the current draw may be a tad much for the little speed 300, there is a lot of arcing and sparking if you watch the brushes in there. it's a great flyer and hand launches & lands easily. if you get it going fast, throw the elevators into 125% travel and yank on the stick... it does a really cool tailslide!

i highly recommend getting one, it flys great, is fairly durable ( nothing broke yet except motor ) and is pretty inexpensive considering it comes with motor, gearbox & prop.

enjoy!

- Dave -
Clydewinder is offline Find More Posts by Clydewinder
Old Dec 26, 2001, 06:16 PM
Owner of the real Petey
Vista, CA USA
Joined Feb 2001
33 Posts
clydewinder, what radio/servos are you using. And thanks for the info. -Greg
ghoward79 is offline Find More Posts by ghoward79
Old Dec 26, 2001, 10:10 PM
steve neill
n/a Posts
I've flown mine plenty. It's a great plane. I haven't had problems with the motor and
I believe the motor is a 370. The gear box is the monster that burns out the motors. I
could see this right out of the box. The gear box is very tight at first and it's best to
break it in on low power until you can flip the prop by hand and it spins freely.
Also be sure to oil the gear box. Other than that I second everything Dave said
about the plane. It flies surprising well. You can handlaunch it yourself and no
running start is needed. Really, I don't see why these aren't more popular. You get
a lot of bang for your buck. EAM has many in stock, tell Dave Roberts Steve Neill
sent you.
Steve
Old Dec 26, 2001, 10:30 PM
steve neill
n/a Posts
Almost forgot. There's a page on my website about the Raptor complete with a flight video of the maiden flight. This is without trim and you'll notice that she starts to role left on launch. Once a little right trim was put in that stopped it for good.
Here's the direct link to the page:

http://sneill.com/new_planes/f-22.html
Old Dec 26, 2001, 10:43 PM
Tiger Moth World Tour
New Berlin, WI USA
Joined Jan 2001
187 Posts
I'm using an Airtronics RD6000 with 2 Tower Hobbies TS-15 servos ( standard micro ) and the regular Airtronics mini receiver (777 model or something like that )

one thing i forgot to mention, the short wingspan and big propeller make for some torque effects so the aileron trim changes from full throttle to low throttle, this could probably be mixed out in the radio but i have not done it yet. ( not a major concern )

i haven't had any trouble with the gearbox but it was fairly noisy for about 30 mins while i was breaking it in.
Old Dec 26, 2001, 10:47 PM
Tiger Moth World Tour
New Berlin, WI USA
Joined Jan 2001
187 Posts
steve:

a mabuchi 380 is a speed 400, right?

is a mabuchi 370 the same as a speed 300? the 370 that came with the F-22 looked exactly like the loose speed 300 motor that i had laying around ( which later became it's replacement ). same diameter as speed 280 but it really screams when you lay some volts into it.

- Dave -
Old Dec 26, 2001, 10:57 PM
steve neill
n/a Posts
Dave I'm not sure. I didn't even know there was a 370, but that's what it said in the documentation.
Since there doesn't seem to be any difference in performance according to your flights they must be close. The sp 300 is a little power house for what it is so it doesn't surprise me at all. I have one of those Megatech B-2 bombers. It only flies on a sp 300 and for it's size and weight it really moves out.
Steve